I have had a request for more details of more books and authors regarding
Probiotics Prebiotics Dysbiosis
It is all really about the bacteria which have lived happily in our digestive tracks for thousands if not millions of years and which we have really mucked up in the last 70 or so years.
First I will list what I have read. Then what I would have read if time and finances permitted and then what I am aware of but which has not even been published yet!! The explosion in this field of research has been at least 30 years coming and now stuff is being published by masses of University academics on the one hand and in an easy to understand format mainly by Doctors and Nutritionists etc.
You can learn a massive amount without spending any money just google Amazon Books. For many of the authors you can listen to them on YouTube, just type in their name or one of the words in the above list. On bad days I have the energy to listen when I do not have the energy to read.
Most of it is written in America because they just seem to have produced more books. If it comes from a British Author I will try to remember to mention it.
I am including lots of stuff about Gut Brain Axis and Depression because a very significant proportion of folk with RA and other Auto-immune diseases also suffer with depression, as I have. RA is enough to get anyone down, but it appears this has a biochemical basis as well as life just being challenging.
I hope along the way you get inspired and at least a little more hopeful. Here goes.
1. Missing Microbes. How Overuse of Antibiotics is Fueling our Modern Plagues
Martin J Blaser MD
A classic based on over 30 years of research. Great for those who ask why and are interested in an over view. Will not tell you how to heal you though in a.
2. A Mind of Your Own. The Truth About Depression and How Women Can Heal
their Bodies and Reclaim their lives.
Kelly Brogan MD
An alternative approach to SSRI and why the anti-depressants are often
3. The Clever Guts Diet. How to revolutionize your body from the inside out.
Dr. Micheal Mosley. He is often on the BBC. Trust Me I'm a Doctor etc.
An easy read. Lots of expensive recipes for which he has been criticized.
Before you buy the book try the web site of the same name to get a feel for if it
is right for you. I think the recipes look easier to follow than some of the
American versions, simply because he's a Brit, but I have yet to try them
Just finished reading this one.
4. The Gut Makeover. 4 weeks to Nourish Your Gut, Revolutionize You Health
and Lose Weight
Also Gut Makeover Recipe Book
Jeanette Hyde Nutritional Therapist
Great theory, but for me up North on a limited budget and no local Super
Market which stocks half the required ingredients not perfect. However these
were the first couple of book giving practical dietary solutions I read and some
of the principals I have put into practice, which I think have helped came from
here. Just trying to tell you how it has been for me.
5. The Keystone Approach. Healing Arthritis and Psoriasis by Restoring the
She has read over 400 scientific papers as part of her research for this and it is
new 2017. Some of her advice contradics what I have read elsewhere. This may
be just a different stance. It may be because it is more recent than some of
what I have read or it could be because it is more specifically about Arthritis
than any other book I have read. This is the newest book in my "library" and I
have not even finished it yet let alone started putting what is in there into
6. FOLLOW YOUR GUT. How the bacteria in Your Stomach Steer Your Health,
Mood and More.
Another CLASSIC. Short easy read. Great place to start if you are new to all
this. Co-Founder of the American Gut Project. See the web sites for both the
British Gut Project and the American Gut Project. Listen to Rob Knight on You
Tube before you pay for the book.
7. The Gut Health Diet Plan. Recipes to Improve Digestive Health and Boost
Christine Bailey UK Based Nutritional Therapist. Lovely book lots of pictures, if
am remembering it right. Currently on loan. Again if I am being critical, too
sophisticated for my local shops and my budget. I was diagnosed as wheat
intolerant over 30 years ago. I have probably not used a new recipe book in 30
years, except for trying to use the ones on this list and I have not followed a
weight loss diet for about 30 years. Lots of exclusion diets over the years. So
all you out there may adapt to this following new recipes lark far more easily.
8. GUT The Inside Story of you body's most under rated organ.
Short Easy Popular Read. Great biology lesson for those not familiar with their
9. The Diet Myth. The Real Science Behind What We Eat.
Prof. Tim Spector. British Academic. Involved with the British Gut Project.
Another CLASSIC another good place to start. The style of writing makes is
accessible to the vast majority.
This next lot are mainly in my "Save for Later" section on my Amazon Account. I either have not got around to ordering them yet, or they are way beyond my budget, or perhaps I would need a Bio Chemistry Degree to really appreciate them. They may be right for some of you Medics reading this. Anyway it will give you a feel for just how much stuff at different levels is out there. Remember Amazon let you open the book and read a lot before you buy. That is how I got started.
10. Gut Balance Revolution. Boost Your Metabolism. Restore Your Inner Ecology
and Lose Weight for Good.
Gerard E Mullins MD
Just published 13 Aug. 2017
11. The Vitamin Cure for Digestive Disease. How to Treat and Eliminate Digestive
Problems Using Nutrition and Vitamin Supplements.
Damien Downing MD
This guy is a former NHS GP British. He has been doing this stuff for over 30
years. He was talking about Leaky Guts, Probiotics and Elimination diets in the
1980's. From 1987 until 1995 at least (when I had private Medical Insurance) he
was my Nutritional Specialist. I had been ill for years and he got me back to
health. If I had been able to continue to afford to follow his recommendation
the last decade might just have been a much healthier time for me.
12. Probiotics, Prebiotics and Symbiotics Bioactive Foods in Health Promotion.
Ronald Ross Watson Oct. 2015 Price £77.22
13. The Autoimmune Solution. Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of
14. The Microbiota in Gastrointestinal Pathophyiology. Implications for Human
Health Prebiotics, Probiotics and Dysbiosis
Martin H. Floch Dec 2016 Price £98.63
15. Brain Maker. The Power of Gut Microbiomes to Heal and Protect Your Brain
David Perlmutter. Popular Functional Medicine Doctor. You will find loads on
YouTube. I think I listened to an entire volume of a previous book on youtube
16. The Gut-Mind Connection. How the Hidden Conversation within our Bodies
Impacts our Mood our Choices and our Overall Health
Emeran Myers Aug. 2016
17. The Gut-Brain Axis. Dietary Probiotics and Prebiotics. Interventions on the
Niall Hyland and Catherine Stanton Pub. June 2016 Price £86.28
18. Clinical Experiences of IBS. Brain-Gut Axis V Gut-Brain Axis
Maria Esposito Pub. June 2017 London Based.
19. The Psychobiotic Revolution. Mood Food and the New Scinece of the Gut-
Scott C. Anderson Publication Date set for Nov. 201
20. Understanding Gut Microbiota.
Gerald W. Tannock Pub. Feb 2017 Price £104.00
21. The Human Microbiota and Chronic Disease. Dysbiosis as a Cause of Human
Luigi Nibali and Brian Henderson Pub. Sept 2016 Price £120.00
22. Gut Microbiota. Interactive Effects of Nutrition and Health
Edward Ishiguro and Natasa Haskey Publication date set Jan 2018
23. The Human Super Organism. How the Microbiome is Revolutionizing the
Pursuit of a Healthy Life.
Rodney. R. Dietert. Pub. Jul 2016
24. I Contain Multitudes. The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life.
Ed. Young Pub. Sept 2017 £6.29
25. The Symbiont Factor. How the Gut Microbiome Redefines Health, Disease
Richard A. Matthews Pub. 2014
26. The Secret Life of Your Microbiome, Why Nature and Biodiversity are
Essential for Health and Happiness.
Susan Prescott and Alan Logan Pub. Sept 2017 Price 17.99
27. The Whole Brain. The Micribiome Solution to Beat Depression, Anxiety and
Mental Fog Without Prescription Drugs.
Raphael Kellman Pub Sept. 2017 Price £17.99
28. Cultured How Ancient Foods Can Feed Our Microbiome.
Katherine Harmon Courage Pub. Due April 2018 Price £20.9
29. Rewild Your 99% Microbes. It's time you started eating like it.
Jeff. D. Leach Pub. Aug. 2015 Co-founder American Gut Project.
30. The Essential Handbook to a Healthy Gut. Hoe a Leaky Gut Impacts your
Entire Body and Hoe to Make it Healthy Once Again
Evelyn Carmicheal Published June 2017 Price £6.70
I did say there was a lot going on in this area. If you have got this far you deserve a prize for your time and persistence. If any of you find the time, money and energy to learn anything helpful from all this lot please post your feedback, not merely for my benefit but for everyone else on the site.
This approach is not for all. If your are in a bad place right now the traditional approach may well be the only route you feel well enough to pursue.
With so much going on and with so much potential to help so many sick folk improve and for so many others to retain their health, I believe our understanding of of the importance of the relationship between Health and Disease and between the drugs we take and the food we eat is embarking on a new era.
We cannot turn back the clock of the last 70 years or so, but we can hope for better health and well being both for ourselves and our friends and families in the future.
Sorry for the bad spelling and the typos. I am Dyslexic after all.
Just hope this helps and encourages.