No Smoking Day
3,037 members31,629 posts

Another Success Story

Went on 4 Day Breakaway to Moya Eco lodge…… 12 October with the Main purpose of enjoying a few days Kayak fishing…

Got blundered on the backline on day 1 and just made it back to shore and was totally exhausted…

Day 2 abandoned my launch because I just felt not good and out of breath in the mid break…Day 3 Packed and went to South Africa to see my GP…

From GP to physician for a coronary angiogram and from angiogram to Triple Coronary Bypass….on the 16th October….and ended up in ICU

And here I am back in Mozambique and in week 3 of Rehab….and recovering “Rapido” with the strength from above and my caring wife….counting in my favour my physique and not one ounce overweight….and the fact that I stopped smoking 3 years ago….

Moral of the story….although you suffer now and damage done…… to quit smoking counts 100% in our favour in our future…..

21 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh my god Hercu so sorry to read of your very serious surgery but delighted you are on the road to recovery. I thought about you several times when we haven't heard from you in a good while and thought it must be your internet. How wrong was I 😔 Wishing you a full and speedy recovery and to put this very frightening and worrying ordeal behind you. Hugs 💗 Sending love to Hetta too💗

2 likes

Thank you Roisin

Ja, From lying exhausted on the beach to landing in ICU in 4 days is quite an experience.

But done and dusted and definately a positive to enjoy the second change so much more..

The recovery is really quick and yes, Hetta is caring so well ....!

Thank you for wishing us a Happy anniversary...Highly appreciated

2 likes

How are you now and the recovery Hercu ?

Excellent...Thank you Roisin...Back at work and better each day...Still on Light duty and no driving.

Can't wait to do more exercise than walking around...

Thank you for caring...

1 like

Good to read Hercu , take it easy and mind yourself. 👊

1 like

I understand the frustration, but take your doctor's (and Hetta's) good counsel. You will be back paddling soon enough.

1 like

Cocoa....Thank you..Patience with inability is really not my strong point..Yes, need to adapt and take the time to heal properly

1 like

Just checking in to see how you are Hercu - hope you are continuing to recover well for Christmas? It will be a very special one this year with what you have been through, I'm sure................

1 like

Recovery is super Roisin....Back to my normal 6 to 8 Km per day walking/strolling in the Orchards...

Try to do 3 km fast walk with Hetta in the afternoon but the heat is crazy...40 to 42 Deg C up to almost dawn (18h00)...Prediction shows some cooler weather this week.(We reached 2.6 km so far)

In general I am very happy with the result and wounds healed very nice..Really looking forward to that first paddle but Hetta is ominent..Only allowed in April...!

1 like

Glad to read Hercu - take it easy and listen to your body and Hetta off course!!! :)

1 like

Sorry to hear about your surgery but love your positive outlook and words of wisdom

3 likes

Thank you Vicky....Well the surgeon reckons I am good for another 100 years....

3 likes

Hercu, my lovely

Sorry to read this, I know you are a very strong person, you have a great family support.

I'm sorry haven't been here for ages.

Got lots of stuff going on,

As you said stopping smoking is best, it all counts towards a better future,

You take care,

You and all the"oldies" and all newbies

are in my thoughts,

So all make it count, you can all stop.

Take care Hercu, Virtual hugs ♥

4 likes

HI D/Lizzy...Thank you..Ja..actually I am glad...Was getting tired to quick lately...

Just hope it worked although I am feeling good....

Take care Lizzy...

So sorry to hear of sudden illness and surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Hercu. I love your perspective on life and living.

3 likes

Thank you Taureen....Every day better...Keep well

I’m so glad you are feeling better .You are a very strong man and with so much to enjoy .After this you are a new person healthier than ever before ..the best is still to come

1 like

Karina...Thank you...Surely a new life and healthier...!!!

Roisin has just made me aware of this Hercu - I had no idea! (Sorry, I don't check in too much these days so missed it)

What a shock! You're right, it does count 100% in our favour and it doesn't bear thinking about what might have happened had you still been smoking.

I hope you're well on your way to full recovery and I send you best wishes from a dreary South Shields.

2 likes

Thanks Nozmo...Well, even a shock to myself and thought I am fairly fit and active ....

Recovery is excellent and Just had the six week check up and surgeon very happy ...

Already doing about 5 to 6 km a day walking again and will attempt jogging soon...

We are in the exact opposite with a super heat wave of 40°C ++ for the past 5 Days...on my return from South Africa yesterday at some stage just after crossing the border into Mozambique the tarr road was melted and exterior temperatures soared to 50°C on my car's display....only for couple of km but was between 45 and 47 almost all the way... Thank goodness for a good air conditioner..!!

2 likes

Good to hear Hercu. Something like this isn't going to keep you down for long - I can see that!

You're going to jog in that heat? You're a better man than me!! I even find our paltry summers too hot for jogging on some days.

My running days are over anyway as I have arthritis in my knee. I'm going to have to find something else to do to keep fit.

1 like

You may also like...