Another line in the sand

Well, the holiday was interesting, tent in France rather than all inclusive to the Maldives, but with the same ambition – relaxation achieved! And I was expecting the environment to trigger thoughts of smoking.

It did a little bit – but it wasn’t as I’d expected. Some of my smoking thoughts were more out of nostalgia than anything else, that’s really what I recognised. An “if I smoked, I’d be smoking right now....but I don’t anymore and that’s great” kind of feeling every now and then, and not every day either.

More commonly it was actually the opposite. I’d see people smoking with their €5 beers, or €8 cocktails, espressos you could stand a spoon up in, I needed a few of those :eek: People smoking first thing in the morning, after a barbecue, all the situations I used to accompany with smoking, and had none of it – the overwhelming feeling was one of relief that I really didn’t *have* to do that any more.

So one tip that worked for me on holiday – if I saw someone fagging it, I’d breathe deeply, as deep as possible, and much deeper than I ever could six months ago as a smoker. Fresh air. And it made me realise instantaneously that I’ve done a very good thing here. My nostalgia soon became relief, then a bit of pride actually! :cool:

Anyhow, just another line in the sand really, I think one year is probably the biggie for me, then beyond... Six months down now, halfway to the penthouse.

Hello month 7! :)

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yay, thanks both!

Max, I have no doubt at all, given your resolve and strenght of character that you'll be just fine. It's hard to explain, but it somehow felt as though I was cleaner this time around for not smoking?!? Being sat early evening with a good book and a coffee or aperitif with no smoking, it actually made me smile even more :D Enjoy the break when it happens sir!

• Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday. I agree about the deep breaths. I think it's because we took so many when we were smoking. Certainly works for me.

• That's brilliant, am glad you enjoyed your smoke free holiday Hawk!!

Max, you'll be fine I'm sure of it :)

It's kind of an odd feeling, you're with people smoking in a situation were "normally" you would be as well but it actually feels good not to be if that makes sense?

I guess it's that we realise that while a fag in some situations (sun and drink for me especially) meant pleasure all the other ones that had to follow didn't - or maybe I'm still somewhat under the spell? Feels powerful though to be able to say no!!

• I guess it's that we realise that while a fag in some situations (sun and drink for me especially) meant pleasure all the other ones that had to follow didn't - or maybe I'm still somewhat under the spell?

Actually I think we all fooled ourselves into thinking we got pleasure from those fags - but actually, we just had them at the same time as we were experiencing pleasure anyway - enjoying ourselves in the sun with a drink. The cigarette wasn't nice, the situation was. But we built a connection between the two in our minds and came to think the experience was enhanced by a cig. Just as, when stressed or angry, we would smoke. Gradually we would calm down. The cigarette didn't calm us - we just smoked at the same time as undergoing the experience, and built a mental connection.

I don't know how right or wrong that is. But I prefer to think of it that way. So if I ever get a nostalgic thought about smoking I can remind myself that they don't enhance a good situation or improve a bad one. They are just grim, full stop.

Big congrats Hawk, 6 months is a huge deal! :D

H

• Actually I think we all fooled ourselves into thinking we got pleasure from those fags - but actually, we just had them at the same time as we were experiencing pleasure anyway - enjoying ourselves in the sun with a drink. The cigarette wasn't nice, the situation was. But we built a connection between the two in our minds and came to think the experience was enhanced by a cig. Just as, when stressed or angry, we would smoke. Gradually we would calm down. The cigarette didn't calm us - we just smoked at the same time as undergoing the experience, and built a mental connection.

I don't know how right or wrong that is. But I prefer to think of it that way. So if I ever get a nostalgic thought about smoking I can remind myself that they don't enhance a good situation or improve a bad one. They are just grim, full stop.

Big congrats Hawk, 6 months is a huge deal! :D

H

That makes sense Hells, just got to get my brain to catch on!!

• Hawk

Huge well done on half a year, that's fab:) You are a Star:)

So,pleased to read that you enjoyed your smoke free holiday. Thats one hurdle I've yet to cross, been holidays, but not sun and sea kind yet!

Fi x

• Well done Hawkeye that's great, I think the sunshine and holidays are a big trigger for a lot of us but you've shown us it can be done, life after smoking does exist!

• Wow, thanks again everyone. Yes, feels good and I think the sunshine/sand/hols bit is much easier this far in - I don't think it would be much earlier on in the quit. Anyhow, thanks for the congrats and best wishes to you all! :)

You may also like...