Quitting For Health!

Hi all!

I have quit smoking, kind of involuntarily?! but also i really want to.

Long story short, last wednesday i woke up with the tightest chest ever, unable to breathe barely and collapsing at the top of the stairs and sitting at the top for over 5 mins to get my breathing back in check- this was the say after i had a fag whilst i had a bad throat.

That was it, i decided, it took me 3 DAYS to get my breathing back to normal, and i havent had a cigarette since.

in addition, i have a baby on the way and would NEVER want to put her at risk.

Anyone else had a health shock/shot accross there boughs to make them quit for good?

oh, and day 6 nearly done! :D

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi dboy

Congratulations on the baby on the way, and congratulations on your quit!!

I've not had any confirmed health scares as such, but I just knew myself that it would only be a matter of time if I didn't stop smoking. I also used to wake up every night in a cold sweat thinking I had various different ailments that I had caused myself by smoking.

I'm not saying all of those horrible may not still happen but, psychologically, it's a load off my mind that I am no longer poisoning myself!!

Stick with it!! :)

• Hi dboy

Congratulations on the baby on the way, and congratulations on your quit!!

I've not had any confirmed health scares as such, but I just knew myself that it would only be a matter of time if I didn't stop smoking. I also used to wake up every night in a cold sweat thinking I had various different ailments that I had caused myself by smoking.

I'm not saying all of those horrible may not still happen but, psychologically, it's a load off my mind that I am no longer poisoning myself!!

Stick with it!! :)

thanks!

yeah i had that a few times, i must admit though, just typing this now, my circulation in my hands seems better?! dont know if thats just imagination though! heres to week 2!

• Congratulations on your quit and your impending arrival!

I didn't have anything, but I found out during the summer that my Grandad, who died 13 years ago at age 65, had been a heavy smoker - I'd never known until then as he'd quit when I was little. He died of a heart attack. My nan, who quit her 60-a-day habit when he died, had unfortunately left it too late and spent the last years of her life with oxygen pipes around the house. I think for years, I'd just thought that was just a normal part of aging, but noticing my own breath being shorter than it should be, and seeing other people's grandparents reach their 80s, something clicked in me and I realised what my future could be.

I don't want children or grandchildren of my own, but I have two brothers who are 18 & 20 years younger than me, and I'd like to be their big sis for as long and maybe one day an auntie!

You may also like...