Weight Loss NHS
80,651 members43,099 posts

Introducing... roasted fennel

Introducing... roasted fennel

I love my veggies...

Tonights dinner is roasted fennel (20 cals for half a bulb plus 20 cals for spray oil)

A big supermarket's frozen Lightly Dusted Frozen Haddock fillet (189 cals)

Mashed swede and carrot (53 cals) with 5g of butter (37 cals)

Total: 319 calories

Dessert was same big supermarkets white chocolate and raspberry ice cream - 1.5 scoops for 167 calories.....

If you've not tried fennel before, why not give it a go? I love it plain roasted, or alternatively cut into pieces and braised with tinned tomatoes.

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Looks delicious ! I love raw fennel in a tossed salad, have not tried it roasted. Note to self: try roasted fennel! Tks Pineapple27 :D

3 likes

Will have a go at roasting it Pineapple, thank you.

Fennel's lovely. I like it in salad like Mammou. I don't have it nearly enough.

2 likes

flidfit.com/2016/06/14/king...

In case anyone is interested, this is a recipe for a king prawn, fennel and pink grapefruit salad.

82 calories a serving - very refreshing!

1 like

Wow that looks really good too!

Love fennel. I like to cut it in half lengthways and bake slowly in shallow vegetable stock, turn when the top start to dry out, comes out really sweet :)

1 like

Never had fennel and I dont really know what it is. We might call it something else here but I don't recognize it either. Looks good though.

Finocchio? It has the flavour of aniseed....?

1 like

OK thanks.

It's like a round celery, with a sweet aniseedy taste. In the wild it grows long grasses out the top that taste a bit like dill. But only recently become 'fashionable' and easy to buy here...maybe if you search hard enough you'll find it :)

1 like

Hi Pineapple27. I haven’t had fennel for ages and had forgotten how much I like it so thanks for the reminder. I did a big online shop last night and it’s arriving this morning but sadly fennel was not on my list. Next time though as toasted sounds delicious.

1 like

oH I LOVE fennel! Used to hate it but now that I have aqcuired the taste, it is a favourite! i like it in thin slices at the bottom of a pot of mussels in creamy broth. It flavours the whole pot subtly and then when the mussels are gone you have a creamy mussel flavoured soup with crunchy fennel slivers. SO GOOD.

2 likes

Mmmm, that recipe with mussels sounds delicious!

1 like

Sounds delicious. I love mussels.

1 like

You may also like...