Needing to lose weight (again!)

Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to get myself into the right head space to lose weight. I've been on off doing Michael Mosley's 5:2 and Blood Sugar diet/following Mediterranean principles plus I'm in the middle of reading his latest book 'The Clever Guts' diet. I've had reasonable success with these diets but at the moment I can't get myself focused at all. I'm wondering whether I need to do something less extreme but focused more on getting the principles right about portion sizes and each day trying yo focus on the days goals. Has anyone had success with doing things to increase motivation? I've felt not great recently and I know it's all down to losing my focus and letting myself eat more of the things that make me feel lethargic, achy and fat. I would like to use Christmas as a target.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I find Pinterest good for motivation, there's lots of quotes, before and after stories etc. I find it really helps to spend a bit of time each day refocusing myself and thinking about where I want to be. I also like logging my food on myfitnesspal app so I am more mindful of what I am eating:-)

• Welcome to you too, Italianwifey :)

I hope you'll join our Newbie Club too

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

• Also planning what you are going to eat and having healthy snacks ready to go so that it is easier to make good choices.

• Thank you Italianwifey. Yes the whole planning ahead thing is definitely good for me otherwise I can end up eating the wrong foods.

• I struggle with this too, when I try the 5:2 it's also a bit too extreme. I'm trying to focus myself by taking steps to cut down certain food types that have crept back in and starting by cutting down on one then focussing on the next. I have 4 stone to lose. I used to be very disciplined with my eating but became an emotional eater. I'm working on other rewards instead of food so I can re-wire my thought patterns. Hope this helps a bit! Mindful eating is also another helpful approach apparently, gives a new approach to eating and gives peace of mind.

All the best as you get started!

• Thanks ColeG. I'll be happy if I can get some perspective and routine back and stop the up and down chaotic eating that I've been in for a while. Here's being hopeful!

• Hi and welcome, Gottago :)

I'd like to invite you to join our Newbie Club, which we hope will be a good place for you to connect with members, who are also just starting out. If you just post a few words to introduce yourself and respond to others there, you'll soon break the ice. Here's the link

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

You'll find all the information you need to navigate the forum in the header, so please take the time to read it carefully.

Wishing you all the best :)

• Thanks moreless. I will check that out.

• Dear Gottogo

Health is my motivator so I put my all into losing weight with the 8 week blood sugar diet and have had success and am nearly at goal weight

I only have to re read the first chapters of that book and read all the consequences of excess weight to stick to the regime. I've taken all big clothes in or given them away so it will cost a lot to grow out of my new clothes!

• Wow well done pcrw! Yes I lost weight very easily when I did 4 weeks of the programme. I didn't do 8 weeks as. Didn't want to lose that amount of weight. It's a great feeling when you get down to the weight you want to achieve. I found maintainance hard, but that was because I've concluded that I'm nit great with starchy carbs. Once I eat them that seems to roll on to me eating more and then before I know it I'm back to where I started. Good luck in your journey!

• Thanks Gottago

Are you now back on track and motivated to maintain?

• I've had a good day. I feel that in order to get me anywhere near the right mindset, I need to make my goals achievable. I've struggled recently when I've tried and not managed to eat according to the blood sugar diet principles. I need less harshness and will just focus on getting a better routine, on portion sizes and not ban foods. Let's see if that moves me into a better mental space. Here's hoping 😄

You may also like...