"To squash or not to squash that is the question"?

"To squash or not to squash that is the question"?

Well yesterday I decided to step out of my comfort zone and try something different for Mr T and me.

So I cooked Butternut Squash filled with chilli beef -minus the red beans as i and MrT don't like them.

Neither Mr T nor me had experienced the squash before (too eat) πŸ˜‰and we was pleasently surprised even more so for me as Mr T is hard to please although he loves veg he's not good trying new things. He is a meat and two veg man and not good with sauces other than gravy.

Hovever after being married to him for 39 years I should know by now.

The outcome of the Butternut squash stuffed with chilli beef was it was lovely and must say very tasty and yes we will be having it again.

Our next venture is sweet potatoes when I research what to do with them. Any advice welcome.

Then sometime in the week we are having a medaly of roast vegatables (some we haven't tried before) with ribeye steak which is currently still resting in the fridge We was supposed to have at the weekend but didn't due to 2:hour delay on the motorway.

I have put photo of ingredients however if you want the recipe just let me know.

The other thing we have tried this week is mango. Must say not my cup of tea but again shock surprise Mr T loved it.

Getting my ideas from th posts on here so thank you.

You'll laugh someone's spoke about mango last week so I thought give it ago. However I had to Google it prior to going to the supermarket so I could recognise it and not needing to ask anyone.πŸ˜‚

What have you tried that you haven't tried before - since commencing your healthy eating journey? πŸ˜…

21 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Hi Trulyplumptious,

What a lovely and colourful photo, and I love the look of those ingredients. I would love the recipe, maybe put it in this post, so it's all together, and if you clicked on 'topic' you could opt to put it in the topic category of recipes/meals/snacks - so it could be found easily. I'm not sure if you've already chosen a topic or not, but it's a good idea to help people find posts like this, with great ideas for meals etc.

Regarding sweet potatoes, there are so many things you can do with them. I had some sweet potato chips last night, baked in the oven with some olive oil. Tonight I chopped up some sweet potatoes into small cubes and added them to a baked vegetable mix - similar to a ratatouille, and they were delicious in that. Soups made with sweet potatoes are lovely, and so are baked sweet potatoes. Very versatile and full of vitamins and minerals - very healthy!

Happy cooking, and experimenting, and I hope you'll tell us what you did with your sweet potatoes in the end.

Butternut squash is lovely - the colour is amazing, and your idea to spiralise it is great.

Hope you have a great evening, and a good week.

Lowcal :-)

p.s I tried artichoke soup - but I don't think I'll be doing that again in a hurry, as it has a very strong effect on the digestive system!!!

• Oh please explain further of the repercussions of artichoke soup. Go on Be grafic!!!!!πŸ˜₯

On the other hand - maybe not. It was probably the same effect Butternut squash had on me.

Thanks for the advice on the sweet potatoes I will try every option. πŸ‘

I do have a photo of the finished meal but it's not very good so I haven't posted it. πŸ˜‚

Really appreciate the info and I will honestly try them all.

I will post my sweet potato pics.😊

• I'll keep those repercussions to myself, TrulyPlumptious, I think that's best.

I'll look foward to seeing your Sweet Potato pics. :-)

Lowcal :-)

• It was me that posted about the mangoes, I'd love to know what you think of them! I am looking for a recipe for sweet pototoes. All the orange fruit and veg is super good for you!

• Hi Ruby well thank you for posting. I wasn't keen but Mr T loved it. Mr T thanks you.

Low cal has responded to me regarding sweet potatoes so just scroll and you will find it.

Low cal posted in the last hour.

You can do them as chips put them into soup or as soup you can cook them like a jacket or roast with other veg in the oven. If my memory serves me correctly like. I am going to give them a go.

Keep us posted x

☺

• They're on my 'to do' list! x

• I tried cooking a whole globe artichoke and it was a complete disaster! I haven't tried it since! :D

• Hi Morless

The look of them puts me off. I think they should be sprayed with glitter and used as an ornaments at Christmas. πŸ˜†

• Now that's a brilliant idea! I wish I'd done that instead! :D

• Hehehe 😊 First (and only) time my hubby had them he thought it was a joke!! You do WHAT?? He exclaimed??! Rofl πŸ˜‚ Artichoke definitely and acquired taste!! Lol

• Your not kidding ☺

• Hi Morless

Just checked on you tube how to prepare a choke. It's complex

Did you take out the choke with a melon baller?

Oh dear I would have just boiled it until soft eek.πŸ˜‚

• I stuck the whole thing in the oven and it looked so awful, I couldn't bring myself to eat it! :o

• There are loads of exotic fruits I have never tried, sharon fruit, paw paw. I suspect lychees might be delicious, but they look so much like eyeballs!!

• Same here - I think you need to try them πŸ˜‚ and then review ☺

They say you should try everything once. Also another train of thought is you have to try 3 times before you can say you don't like it.☺

• Hehe πŸ˜‚ I have to ask why?? What's wrong with all the wonderful British fruit and produce?? Coxes orange pippin, strawberries, Scottish raspberries, bkack currants, gooseberries, plums, rhubarb . . . Need I go on?? I agree it's good to try different things but don't think we should overlook our grannies favourites either 😊😊😊

• No I agree with you Anna61 however when you go around the supermarket and see fruit that you don't know what to do with and your too afraid to ask for fear of looking stupidπŸ˜„

Another thing do you eat the skin or not? my motto is "if in doubt leave it out".πŸ˜†

I was amazed to learn that you can eat the skin from a butter nut squash. πŸ˜‰It looks to robust for eating -Amazing!!!😣

• If you put your chilli mince in an oven proof dish, slice parboiled sweet potato on the top and then bake for a further 20 minutes - spicy shepherds pie. Xx

• Hi simplepickings

Now that sounds lush. I will give it a go I think with cabbage.

Thanks for that x☺

• Mashed banana in my porrige!! Sounds awful but it really sweetens it 😊 I am not a fan of the texture of bananas but like the flavour and this works really well 😊 I add 3 or 4 chopped prunes and my breakfast is sugar free and has two fruit servings in it 😊 😊😊 you are right, it's good to try something different!

• Hi Anna 61

Thanks for the tip banana and porridge sounds lovely I will give it a go.☺

Have you tried with honey and toasted coconut that's nice alsoπŸ˜„

You may also like...