Beginning Again

Beginning Again

Hi, this is my first post and my first day of the diet. I underwent very drastic surgery for cancer in February this year and lost 1 and a half stones in 9 hours! Yes, I am so enjoying the flat stomach that gave me, but boy does it highlight the hips! I have maintained my lower weight for 4 months now, and I am determined to loose more weight now that I have been given the all clear to exercise again. I need to get my hips and bum in proportion with the new me.

So any tips for exercises aimed at the bum/hip area would be greatly appreciated. I have been walking for at least 20 minutes every day for the past 4 months, but obviously I can now do a lot more.

21 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Fab news you look fab keep up the walking best exercise out takes time but you will get there good luck x

• Thank you for replying. I will continue to walk every day. I am lucky enough to live in some wonderful countryside - even if the hills aren't always welcome x

• Glad you have recovered. And congratulations on the flat tummy. Unfortunately there are no exercises that will remove fat from a specific area so you need a healthy, low calorie diet along with some exercise of your choice to lose the fat

I think you have to find an exercise you enjoy or you will not stick to it. I do Aqua aerobics 3 - 4 times a week combined with plenty of walking.

Good luck with whatever you choose xx

• Thank you for replying to my post. I'm thinking of trying the "taster - tour" at my local leisure centre. I'm sure I'll find something to suit me x

• What a lovely photo and brilliant at getting better from your battle recently. I would go walking or indoor treadmill for those bad weather days also swimming I think is fantastic because it works all muscles and has less strain on the body as a whole. For any intense workouts could your health centre give you advice as what would be best for you?

• Thank you for replying to my post. The photo was taken last week at the end of Southport pier - the second longest in the UK. Walking up and down the pier in the wind and rain, was a test to my aim to keep walking x

• An yes Southport, miles of golden sands, and that's between you and the sea!! Lol 😂

• Hi this is my first day also,, so good luck to you

• Thank you for replying to my post. Good luck to you too. I am hoping to loose about 1 stone, so I may be on the site for a long while x

• I have to loose about 9 stone so will look out for your progress. I'm sure we will be fine xx

• Excellent news that all went well :-)

Walking is brilliant, as are many of the suggestions here. The most important thing is to find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Good luck and all best wishes!

• Thank you for replying to my post. I've always enjoyed walking. I have recently got a new camera so I will be out on the hills taking photos and walking! x

• That sounds lovely! Have a wonderful time!

• Hi New-beginner,

You might like to check out the exercises on the NHS Choices website, they have recently been updated, and there are lots of new resources there, and I spotted this one as you asked about exercises aimed at the bum/hip area:

nhs.uk/Conditions/nhs-fitne...

I'm thinking of giving that one a go myself, looks good and just takes 10 minutes!

Lowcal :-)

• Hi Lowcal, thanks for the link. I've had a go this morning at the exercise. Wow, it was a killer for me. I'll have to work on this one - I'll keep at it x

• Slowly and steadily is the way forward with regards to exercise 😊

• Hello new-beginner

Nothing to add just want to say hello and good luck 😊

• Good morning new-beginner

Just to add, I have recently discovered "happy walking" with Lesley Sansome on you-tube 😊 One mile in about 15 minutes. Good fun and not too arduous 😊 Which suits me at the moment having a back problem. A useful extra to beach and cliff top walks 😊

• Crumbs that's no time at all to recover. I had breast cancer last year and less drastic surgery (I imagine) and a year from surgery I'm just about back to full fitness and starting to worry about my weight. Good luck but please be kind to yourself too. I can't believe you're over the shock yet? I found a book called something like the cancer survivor's guide very helpful. So much so that I've just posted my copy to a friend's son who has had testicular cancer at 21 and I struggling abit with fears of relapse. Let me know if you want me to find the authors' names.

I'm a huge fan of the benefits of exercise.

As someone said you can't spot reduce fat, but I do squats and glute bridges and kettle bell swings so at least it's big and muscular not big and flabby. I like doing classes because it makes me work harder and I have a chat to people while I'm there. Or if you like exercising in the house I like the ten minute series of DVDs. They're available on Amazon and I especially like 10 minute boot camp and 10 minute Pilates.

Good luck. We've got this 😃

• Hi, thanks for replying to my post. I had a mastectomy in February, together with a breast reconstruction using my belly fat. They basically move fat from your stomach to make a new breast. They then throw away any surplus stomach fat so you end up having a tummy tuck thrown in with the mastectomy. The operation is carried out by plastic surgeons rather than the cancer team.

I had a ropey 2 months when my entire body ached. I'm still under the care of the plastic surgery team and will need a bit more "tweaking" in the coming months. Basically though I'm fit and well, and getting on with stuff. Things get easier every day.

• Take it easy x

You may also like...