Banana and date oat loaf

A few weeks ago I mentioned adapting the fruit banana bran cake in week 9 of the NHS plan, as it sounds really good but I need to avoid wheatflour due to advice from the doc. I've finally done it now by combining it with a recipe in an old 1980s book called Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Cookbook where a lot of the recipes are sugar free and very health-conscious. I have to admit that the low-calorie aspect of this comes down to how you cut the slices, so you will need a good breadknife to slice it with and good willpower to put most of it in the freezer (sliced and stored in a higgledy piggledy fashion so they don't stick together). But here it is!

Preheat oven to 200 degrees

Grease and line a small loaf tin (I use part of the oil in the ingredients list for this)

Mix together in a bowl:

3 mashed bananas

50g fine chopped dates

50g sunflower seeds

75g sultanas

75g oats

150g oat flour (I made this by chopping the oats in a coffee grinder)

50ml rapeseed oil (or any oil of your choice)

capful/half tsp of vanilla essence (the recipe recommended almond essence but I only had vanilla)

Press the mixture into the tin and bake for 45mins or until brown on top and a knife/skewer comes out clean.

This needs to be sliced into 8 slices, then each slice halved, to make 16 portions, each is 140cal. Or if you feel confident slice it into 16 thin slices (I managed this and there weren't too many breakages). I will be having a piece everyday for the next 2 weeks! Hope I don't get too bored of it :)

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sounds delish! Might have a go.......still eating flapjacks. Brill idea of yours to freeze the portions. Out of sight out of mind

• I've been eating those apple flapjacks for approximately 12 weeks. Felt it was time for a change! Freezing def works like that for me, though I don't have a microwave so defrosting is maybe a bigger disincentive for me than it might be for others.

• Hi Ruth,

I'm definitely going to try that recipe - thanks so much for posting it. It sounds like a really good adaptation, and as you know, I am a fan of the Banana Bran Fruit cake on the NHS 12 week plan. I've not made it for a while, but the next time, I'll be using your version, and I'll be freezing it to ensure I have it occasionally.

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.

Lowcal :-)

• Thanks Lowcal for advocating the banana bran fruit cake so much, it made me feel really determined to adapt it to a wheatfree version. I've also rediscovered my Sarah Brown cookery book in the process, happy days :) I'm not a natural for baking by the way, being more of a savoury person, so for me to develop something that actually comes out tasting good is a small miracle!

• I've just seen you can get this book for 1p on Amazon. Absolute bargain! amazon.co.uk/Sarah-Brown-s-...

• Sounds great!

I wonder if Almond flour or coconut flour would work...?

I have both - I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks for this - you're a star :)

• I think it might be too rich if you go fully with one of those, maybe just partially replace some of the flour with a nut flour?

• Sounds yum 😊

• Sounds great, you could try oatbran for the oat flour. :-)

You may also like...