I am new here, the result of a new year resolution to not try and cope on my own. I have just been diagnosed with Bi-polar type 2 with complex PTSD after 20 years of mental health problems. Also have an under active thyroid that has just stabilised. Due for a scan to see if I have gall stones. After four years of involvement from the local mental health team, and never seeing the same psychiatrist, I did something I never thought I would do, or need too, I went private. Diagnosis now made, new drug regimen, feeling a lot better and no longer labelled as borderline personality disorder. New psychiatrist actually returns phone calls, and changes medications when side effects become intolerable, result! Although I will have health challenges in 2017, I am feeling much more positive and relieved that I am considered a partner in managing my mental health condition, rather than being patronised, or punished for not getting better.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Fi,

Welcome to the community. How empowering this must have felt for you. It's good to hear, and very reassuring.

Lori

• Interesting Fi68 to not be labelled as borderline how wonderful :)

• Hello there Fi68

Welcome to our friendly Forum, we are pleased to have you join us.

Chloe

• Hi Fi68

I recently came across this on Amazon and thought of you. I hope you find this book to be useful given your previous misdiagnosis and the important new partnership you are developing with your new psychiatrist.

Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving: A GUIDE AND MAP FOR RECOVERING FROM CHILDHOOD TRAUMA Kindle Edition by Pete Walker (Author)

From the author:

I have Complex PTSD [Cptsd] and wrote this book from the perspective of someone who has experienced a great reduction of symptoms over the years. I also wrote it from the viewpoint of someone who has discovered many silver linings in the long, windy, bumpy road of recovering from Cptsd.

I felt encouraged to write this book because of thousands of e-mail responses to the articles on my website that repeatedly expressed gratitude for the helpfulness of my work. An often echoed comment sounded like this: At last someone gets it. I can see now that I am not bad, defective or crazy…or alone! have Complex PTSD [Cptsd] and wrote this book from the perspective of someone who has experienced a great reduction of symptoms over the years. I also wrote it from the viewpoint of someone who has discovered many silver linings in the long, windy, bumpy road of recovering from Cptsd.

I felt encouraged to write this book because of thousands of e-mail responses to the articles on my website that repeatedly expressed gratitude for the helpfulness of my work. An often echoed comment sounded like this: At last someone gets it. I can see now that I am not bad, defective or crazy…or alone!

All good wishes for 2017.

Abestar

You may also like...