Marathon Running and Race Support
935 members1,882 posts

Lets run round the moon... The August distance challenge

Lets run round the moon... The August distance challenge

Ok, so we have had a few challenges now on here and this month we are going to do a distance challenge.

What you need to do:

Decide on your distance goal for the month and then write it down in the comments. Each week I will do a new post for us to share how we are getting on, share tips on those longer runs and say what we have done.

If you are training for an event then this may be a great way to help keep you focussed on getting the miles in!! If you aren't then its a great way to get out there and run a bit more!!!

At the end I will tot up all of our miles to see how far we would have ran round the moon, so lets aim high!!!

Lordi has started a Strava club for us so do come and join in.... healthunlocked.com/api/redi...

Good luck everyone and lets get busy!!!!

Juju

xx

Week 2 post here: healthunlocked.com/marathon...

70 Replies
oldestnewest

I would like to achieve a goal of 125 miles ... eek!

4 likes

Go ju-ju-!!!

Oo a distance challenge! My monthly distance is generally pretty poor as I haven't been getting out too often, so it's usually just a wee midweek evening run and then a longer run at the weekend. Also, I've got a 10k race which might get in the way. Buuuuut with work runs too I could get a few more kms under my belt! I'll have a think about a good target 🤔

2 likes

Right, I'm going to try to do 100km. It might be a bit of a push as one long-run weekend is out, but it will force me to run at lunchtime! Hopefully if I get really brave I'll be able to smash the target 🙂 (Haha, it's such a measly amount compared to everyone else!)

2 likes

great plan!

I’m aiming for a measly 100 too😃

It’s Thompson and Thomson! Love em 😃

Oooh fab! Count me in please Ju Ju 🤗

Erm referring to my PLAN 😁 I see I have To do :-

90.72 Miles (146 km)

From 1st to 31st August

1 like

Fantastic, I think they are so so funny, I love it when they suddenly change colour having taken those strange pills...!!

Yay!!

I'm gonna match ju-ju-, although I'll call it 200 km, so she'll do a bit more than me 🤩

2 likes

I think I may have over egged what I will do.... I may have to amend!!!

1 like

Ha, me too :D

1 like

Shall we secretly edit??

1 like

Nah, I'll wear it 😊 Although it looks highly likely that I'll miss today's run - not the best start!

1 like

Now I've seen my July stats from Strava (198km!!) I think I may have to increase my goal...

Ha ha - I love that picture!!

1 like

I adore Tintin and especially these guys!!!

1 like

I've got 175 km to run before my taper week ahead of my Tallin marathon in Estonia on 9 Sept. Or about 110 miles in groat chain foot punds per square acre ;-)

2 likes

yay good plan ha ha!!!

Estonia. Ooooh we’re literally running the world. My app tells me I’ve run to the Galapagos 😃

Tin Tin fan here too 👍

2 likes

yay, I adore Tintin, and was reading it whilst in labour with my son as its a comfort thing for me!!!

I ♥ Tintin too!

1 like

He’s the best isn’t he, not forgetting Snowy and CAPTAIN HADDOCK...blistering barnacles....

I'd like to say put me down for 100km as I almost got there in July, but I'll be away for a week..... Maybe I'd better say 75km.......

1 like

Great, and that is very doable too. Not running on holiday? tut tut....

I intend to, but it depends on other factors..........

1 like

hmmmm

1 like

I'm in the middle of training for a 10km so its more tmepo than long runs at present. However, provided I run whilst on holiday in Italy, I can commit 50 miles.

So, just as long as you lot can get the other 6,700 odd miles done this month between you, we should go all the way!

1 like

Great plan, and I know, I was hoping we might get to 1 sixth with a view to doing more the next time!!!

1 like

If we could also run with the same gravity as on the moon, then I reckon it'd be a doddle!

3 likes

wouldnt that be fun... The Moon Marathon!!! ... one day?

1 like

The view on the darkside would get a bit monotonous - but I'm still in!!

1 like

...but you never know... there may be aliens to find...!!!

1 like

Or that old man with the telescope.

1 like

100km for me, which will be a small increase on last month, so should be do-able 😀

1 like

great goal

The plan suggests I'm looking at 76ish miles this month. So I'll go with that.

1 like

Yay that sounds good....

I will try for 220km 😐

2 likes

Great, busy month, happy face only no sad ones allowed 😺😺😺!!!

you are our secret weapon with your super training plan

Ermm.. We'll due to an interruption of service you may be need another saviour lol

100 miles for me this month, so 160.934kish 😁

1 like

Yay love it!!

I’ll try for 90k which is 10k more than last month 😳

1 like

Good plan...

I’ll aim for 80k which is 10K less than

July. Can’t guarantee any long runs whilst on holiday!! 🍕 🇮🇹 🍹 🍝 🐌😎

Sensible plan...... so doable too...

1 like

I've signed up 50 mile virtual run for August so that will be mine. :) :)

1 like

Perfect, this is going to be fun!!

Well, I'm doing a virtual 50 mile challenge this month, so that's around 80.5 km I think, so put me down for that. I did around 45 miles in July and it's not much more. I'd like to do more, but I'll stick to that for now. I know it's a drop in the ocean for the rest of you, but I'm still a baby runner.

1 like

Baby runner solidarity 🤜

(that's meant to be a fist bump, not a punch!)

3 likes

😊

lol - I ducked x

Brilliant that sounds great to me...

1 like

Ok, I'll aim for 50 miles on August. Still on 3 runs per week, but looking to see how I can add a 4th run consistently. Not sure what will happen when I'm away for 2 weeks, but this goal will hopefully keep me running! It'll primarily be a walking holiday, so my total mileage by foot will be significantly higher! :)

That sounds like a great plan

Go on then... I’ll commit to 100k 😁

1 like

Moon's circumferance is 10,921,000 m or 11,943,000 yards. So about 100 of us running just over 100km or 50 running 200km would get close.

1 like

That was my thinking too....

Hi😃. I’m not on here often as I’m busy training,working and got my kids on their holidays but I’m aiming for 100km this month. Would love to try this again when my kids are back at school in September and can get out in the day a bit more!.

1 like

Lovely to see you and that sounds like a great plan....

I’m hoping to do 130km this month as part of my HM training for next month 🙂

1 like

great plan...

1 like

I made a Strava "Club" to make progress tracking easier. I think most of us on this forum use Strava? It's here - strava.com/clubs/nhsrunroun...

2 likes

I think I left the club admin rights "open" so if anyone can add a suitable picture then feel free. I'm not techie in any sense!

1 like

Was going to say 100km but I've had a good week so I'll try for 120km

1 like

good to stretch those goals, excellent!!

I’m on holiday for a bit in Aug.No tech, no WiFi so I’ll have to draw some maps and stick em on Strava when I get back😂.

2 likes

:D

I am on a low mileage month as "only" training for a 10k in Sept so put me down for a modest 30 miles and I will endeavour to exceed expectations.

1 like

You may also like...