Macular Degeneration: When Does Dry become Wet?

I have already sent this post with photo.

I do not understand what my Bio is and therefore cannot supply. I have been diagnosed with Macular Generation in both eyes. My mother suffered from Macular Generation so presumably it is genetic but in addition I was a very heavy smoker until 1999.

I have been advised that in the event of dramatic change in my sight, I should go straight to my local hospital, where I will be given an injection in my eye. The problem is what is the actual dramatic change. I am using the Amsler Grid and note that some of the lines are wavy and perhaps this is getting worse. When is the Dry condition turning to Wet, or how bad must it be to go for the injection. Can you please advise.

6 Replies

  • You should go now, when I first noticed waviness it kept getting worse fast. The earlier it is treated, the better it is for your sight.

  • Sorry, I missed your post. I am hesitating because I am not sure that wavy lines have increased or not. I was told to go to "Emergencies" if there was a change in the wavy lines.

  • Hello Mpenning,

    I am so sorry to learn about your diagnosis.

    If you have dry macular degeneration (AMD) then there is the possibility of it turning to the wet type of AMD as you mention. The amsler grid is used to detect sudden changes in sight which may indicate that wet has developed.

    The lines on the grid are likely to be a bit wavy when you have dry AMD, what you are looking for is a noticeable change from one week to the next.

    Don't look at the grid every day as you may not notice the changes.

    If you are concerned however that your sight has changed and you are not sure, you can get a local optometrist at an optician to check you, or alternatively go back to the eye hospital and present at their eye casualty department.

    If you would like a chat with someone on the phone, please call the Macular Society helpline 0300 30 30 111 (9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday).

    Best wishes


    Macular Society

  • Thank you for your post. It is a bit different over here. When you say optometrist do you mean the person who tests your eyes at the opticians. There is only one person in my opticians and she found the problem in the first instance, without being able to fully diagnose it. I then went to a private ophthalmologist who diagnosed the ADM. Eventually my hospital appointment with the local NHS was due and they made full tests and measured the level of Macular Degeneration in each eye. I was told that if there was any alteration I should come to the Emergencies Dept.(ER).

    I cannot really appreciate any change but my vision appears to have worsened. I shall do the Amsler Grid Test more carefully.

    Thank you again.

    Best regards,

    Mike Penning

  • Hi again Mike,

    An optometrist is the 'expert' at an opticians who would carry out eye examinations. Many do have the equipment and expertise to diagnose wet AMD.

    That said, the hospital would eye department accident and emergency would be the best if you are not certain about your optometrists abilities.

    Incidentally, we are a UK based charity and our helpline number 0300 30 30 111 is a UK number.

    Best wishes


    Macular Society

  • Hi there it's so scary isn't it? My advice is if the lines are wavy you should go to your local hospital asap and get it checked. I have dry in one eye and wet in the other and have been advised as soon as wavy lines appear in dry eye go to hospital. Good luck x

You may also like...