Water retention ?

I have for sometime been gaining weight quite quickly, I blamed meds and had them changed. The gain has continued so I have been very careful what I have been eating and I am definitely not over eating. and I still gain and loose but still over a stone that shouldn't be there. I have spoken to my GP about this a few times and after bloods came back fine, he has fobbed me off. Someone (a friend who also has lupus) suggested I measure my in take and output of fluids, I am now on day 3 of this and over the last 2 days there has been a difference of 780mls, Has anyone else experienced this or has any advice! Thanks, have a good day, :)

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Watch your salt as it gives you water retention ,but our mobility is slower and not burning those calories,I would be interested to find out your findings

enjoy your day.

• Thanks, Janciceray I will let you know! if I get any answers, have a good day :)

• See a renal consulatnt!!!!

Had this problem 3 years ago. Started just as weight loss and then retention of water. tired. listless etc. They thought it was a flare and non production of iron which was part of the story, but took some bloods, then had to do a biopsy of kidneys as bloods were off. Ended up with no kidneys and dialysis for 2.5 years before getting a transplant last May 13th... still get water retention and have to take the old weeing tablets as new kidney only at 29% but still off dialysis.

I have no desire to scare you, just passing on what happened to me.

I hope you feel better soon and am sending love hugs and smiley faces to help you through the day.

• Hi Amandalilley, I have recently had blood test done and liver and kidney function all come back fine. Been to gp again today, he really isn't interested and said move around more, I feel so angry with him right now, I do not sit around or stay in bed I move around the house constantly as if I sit for more than 2o minutes I become very uncomfortable with a poker type pain in my back lung or kidney area. This has gone on for years. So I do move around. I have watched my diet and all that has done is constipate me. I am feeling like such a time waster at the doctors but I know something is not right.

He had me lay on bed today, I became very dizzy, and have spent the last 4 hours on bed :( I never take to my bed, so I am not a happy bunny. But really I have no idea what to do next and Iat the minute I can't be bothered anyway. Totally spinning out now so must go, thanks for you comments, I wishing you the best of luck x

• Hi Pollyanna. Dont give up... ask for a 2nd opinion, try another dr. Look for a dr near you who has an interest in Lupus. Call St Thomas hospital, they always have nurses there that can call you back. I know its frustrating, i have been there, I was not diagnosd for for ages and they kept telling me lupus was all in my head..... Even when I had renal failure it took a while to be diagnosed.

Check the american websites, sign up with some of them, they have dr's you can ask questions tp on line through e mail.

Even now 14years later I am the one that tells all my consultants when something is wrong. It took me a long time to find my dr and i am determined to keep him.

Keep going, but def change your dr, he/she is obviously is not in the least bit interested and probably another one that thinks its all in the mind.

You are NOT a time waster, that what dr's are paid for.

take a break from the stress for a day or 2, look at it nxt wk, it might be a little clearer in your head.

Take care, sending all my positive thoughts to you.

• Thanks hun, I am just going to try and forget about it all till next week, like you said and I know I will get there in the end, I do appreciate your responses and support x

• I have recently joined slimming world as I have two stone I would like to lose and I struggle with weight loss and I don't eat vast amounts at all!! I swell up and I know this because my fingers feel tight in the mornings and there have been times when I can see my legs swollen. I would also like to know as I don't really like to take anymore tablets. I might mention it to my rheumy as I do suffer from protein in my urine at times too. Hope we get some answers hun!

• Hi LupieLou, thanks for your response :) I also attended slimming world years ago and I think its a great way to loose weight, my concern is not with the weight gain (well it is! cos I am not happy with it) but with how quick it went on and I know for what I am eating now I should be losing it, and I am not. Something is going on in there and I am so fed up with being fobbed off. My gp said that although there may be slight swelling in my feet (as I could not wear my dolly shoes yesterday) he can see my ankles have shape and there is no indentation when he presses. I will continue to monitor this but probably wont get anywhere until I see rheumy in June. Good luck with the diet hope it goes well :) thanks for your response, have a good day :)

• Could be your med's - Steroids hold onto water! Also you do not mention your age, but I am 40yrs and premenopausal and have been for the past 2 and half years. My periods have become very irregular and some months i am bleeding for longer than others. I have noticed that at least 8 to 10 days before I am due, my stomach is very bloated and look 3 - 4 months pregnant at times. I started using an exercise bike with My GP's advice and this does seem to help - as i noticed that I needed the toilet a lot more afterwards. It's surprising how much water the body can hold.

I do not cook with salt or add salt to any of my food and have started to follow more of a Mediterean diet which I find is healthier and much more tasteful. i don't believe in diets - just healthy eating and regular exercise.

I put on 2 stone with steroids and it has took me over a year, but I have 8lb to go before i am back to my original weight. I am still on 5mg per day steroids but haven't put on any further weight gain. Because the weather is improving try walking it's still a form of exercise! Good Luck!

• Hiya Lulabelle, Yes my age 48 was a thought although there are no signs of menopause, I am still very regular, and no change apart from becoming more painful now! I am not on steroids, I am just fat and frustrated :( I cant really exercise due to the fatigue and muscle weakness, so its an all round bummer! :( but I still stretch as much as possible, I think if I had gained the weight gradually I could say that was ok, but it just came on bang within 3 weeks! I am very careful with my food, and what I eat, apart from my pack of crisp every night, I only eat fruit, activia yog and my tea! so I am at a loss with it all, thanks for your response, and I hope you are keeping well, :)

You may also like...