Flu Jab

Hello all,

Hope all is well? When I last went for my lung function test I was told by the doctor that I should consider having the flu jab. I am looking into it and was hoping to get some advice from others who may have had it or were thinking about it this year. I don't want to get it if it will make me feel worst or cause me to flare but as I was ill last year I don't really want to go through that again.

I also read that it is best to not get a live vaccine.

Any suggestions most welcome!

22 Replies

• Hi

I have had the flu jab every year and I've just been sent a email from my doctor to have one done.

But like you I'm unsure as I thought with lupus you couldn't have a live vaccination

• Thanks Ajanjua,

I just remember being ill last Christmas and not being to do anything at all. It was horrible. Maybe I might give it a shot and see how I do.

• Unless I hear anything else I'm going to have it done. I recently had a cold and it developed into pneumonia, it took nearly 8 weeks to get over it.

So I dread to think how bad a flu might get.

If you have it done wishing you all the best

• That's a really long time. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

• I've had a flu jab over the years and only ended up with a sore arm for a day or two. I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying I haven't had flu in a long time, chest infections but nothing worse. I will get my again this year.

As far as I'm aware the vaccine isn't live.

• That's good to hear Chris. When I was ill last Christmas I couldn't work out if it was flu combined with a flare up. Horrible. So hopefully I'll be okay this time. Hope it goes well for you this time round!

• Hi Chris 21, check with your Practice Nurse. She will advise whether live or not. Babs

• I have a flu jab every year, was recommended to get one by my rhymy Dr Sam. Also had pneumonia jab last year as recommended. X

• It seems like a good idea KarenC especially with a low immune system. Worth a try at least. I didn't know you could get pneumonia jabs too.

• Pneumonia jabs are a one off injection, I had to have mine before I started on methotrexate. X

• Oh I see. Do you feel like it's been useful?

• Hi Karen, check with your practice nurse. I'm pretty sure Pneumovax should be every 5 years. Could be wrong. Babs x

• Thank you will do, I could be wrong lupus fogs constantly lol xx

• Oh yes, was prone to really bad chest and sinus infections, haven't had one since. Fingers crossed be the same this year xx

• That's good. I hope it is a clear one this year for you. :) Thanks xx

• I have had the flu vaccine for the past four years and had no problems. It isn't a live vaccine so you should be fine.

• Greta news. Thanks GloomyEeyore. I'm going to give it a shot. Pardon the pun. :)

• Hi

Well just had my flu jab done so lets see what happens, if you don't see a post from me in the next couple of weeks its because I'm havivg a really bad flare up.

• Good luck. Hope you are well and nothing happens!

• I generally flare after vaccinations. It tends to kick in within 3 hours of the jab be it flu, tetanus or whatever. Although I dread the consequences of the jab, the consequences of pneumonia etc are obviously worse so it seems the lesser of the evils. I always have spare prednisolone to help me over the worst.

Definitely no live vaccines. xx

• Oh that really quick. Every time? Yes, I think I will have the jab and hope for the best. The things we have to go through. :(

• hello, I have SLE and a collection of other things , I have had pneumonia 3 times, but was advised to have a flu jab as it isn't a live vaccine. I was dubious but since having one for the last 4 years , I haven't even had a cold (touch wood). It might help you also, good luck

You may also like...