Advice please

I am on a course of steroids for a lupus flare and for the past couple of weeks have had a bit of a cough. I have now lost my voice and feel like i should have a hacking cough but can't. I don't feel particluarly ill and don't want to see my doc who thinks I am a hypochondriac anyway!!!

Has anyone else goten ill whilst on steroids and how did they cope?

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello tiredmum,

I am on steroids and when I have had an infection in the past my rheumatologist advised that I should wait for my body to naturally recover. You say that you don't feel particularly ill so just be sensible and look after yourself and let it take its course.

• Thanks Jude,

my sentiments exactly ,

:)

• Hiya tiredmum, can't give you any answers but hope your feeling better soon (((x))), take care, Mandy :)

• Hello Tiredmum.

I think that you have the measure of this. And as for your Doctor thinking that you are a hypo. Sod him. We know better. But most importantly -YOU know better

• Hi, I don't know if it's the same but I asked a question about voice loss a few weeks ago, you might like to take a look, I got quite a lot of responses. Hope it helps, and that you feel better soon

• I regularly have a sore throat loss of voice which is at best annoying - lucky I'm not a telephonist - This bout has lasted since Christmas. I suppose part of the process is good recovery time - easier said than done.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Malcolm

• Hi there

I haven't been on steroids for many years now but don't think I had problems with my voice/throat when I was on them. However, in the past 3 years I've developed a throat/voice problem so I can completely understand what you mean by not being able to cough properly. It's a horrible feeling as you've got the constant sensation that you want to clear your throat and you can't? So far I haven't found anything that especially helps apart from drinking plenty of water - when you feel you want to cough, try taking a few sips - I do find this helps a bit. Hopefully as others have said, your body will heal naturally and this problem will clear.

By the way, I get the feeling that my docs think I'm a hypochondriac too which puts me off even going there. I'm convinced my inflamed throat must be lupus-related and an over-reaction by my body to an extended cough that I had three years ago which gave me laryngeal spasm but the consultant wouldn't consider this idea. I'd love to know what anyone else thinks about voice/throat issues and lupus????

You may also like...