I have just had my latest scan results, much earlier than expected. My November scan showed progression of the main tumour. It had gone from 11cms to collapsed and immeasurable in 8 months, this had remained so for another year. Then November showed it was 2cms x 3mm. We didn't know how long it had taken to get to this size so I stayed on Iressa and was scanned again 3 months later.
In the meantime I went to Christies for a second opinion, well really to see if I could get Afatinib. I will have to do IV chemo first though. So we decided that depending on how much more progression I had would tell us when I needed to start IV chemo and then we would decide whether I went on maintenance (Alimta) for a while or started Tarceva or clinical trial (Afatinib or chemo).
The funny thing was the cough I developed seemed to be getting better ?? So I was pretty much convinced there was only minimal progression. Well, there was no further progression at all to the tumour, just slight growth of one node. :)) This means I can carry on with Iressa for another 3 months until I am scanned again (or If I become symptomatic I will be scanned sooner).
This is great news for me and others like me who are taking Iressa, it seems that it may have had a 'blip' but is obviously still working well. My oncologist said I am one pf the longest to take it with success, I am one of the first to take it though so I think that bodes well for many more of us.