Just returned from my oncology appointment, the one I have been waiting for to get the results of my latest CT scan. Not the best of news....I have some tumour progression. I knew It would happen eventually and did expect it as I've been coughing for the last 3 weeks but still it was a shock. I've been feeling invincible, as if I could be the one who would have years on Iressa, I have managed 20 months progression free but now its back
So what's the next step? As some of you know, I was one of the first people to have Iressa on the NHS so what ever they try on me is early stage guesswork to some extent. There is the IMPRESS trial looking at whether to completely switch to doublet chemotherapy (carboplaitin/Alimta or cisplatin/Alimta) or whether to continue with the Iressa plus the doublet chemo. Evidence is saying keep with both as it is only a % of the cancer cells that have become resistant. This is not a 'standard' as yet though so at present it's a complete switch then, if it works start another TKI like Tarceva as a third line treatment. There is a drug called Afatinib which will be used as a third line but at present it is not approved by NICE.
For me, they are giving me 2 months to see how much/fast the tumour is progressing. They will then switch my treatment. This gives me 2 months to amass as much evidence as I can for me to say what route I want to ho down even if I have to pay for it.
For any one else taking Iressa, please see this for what it is and try and get something positive out of it. I'll do my best to pave the way for all of us.
Take car ll and wish me luck