5 year update on SAPL surgery for lymphedema leg. - LSN

LSN

5,189 members2,418 posts

5 year update on SAPL surgery for lymphedema leg.

Snaomi profile image

Hello everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2022. It has been a very long time since I have given an update on the SAPL surgery I had done 5 years ago on my left leg. I am very happy to say that I am still maintaining my legs and they have remained small. Yay! For those of you wondering, this is what I can tell you. After 5 years. I still wear daily class 3 custom garments. I don't wear anything at night which is great! Summers here are pretty hot and more so with garments. I am very fortunate to have a pool and a stationary bike for in the pool so I stay cool that way. I walk usually 3.5 to 5 miles most days usually early morning or later in day at certain times of year. I have had opportunities to participate in future training with students wanting to learn more about lymphedema. The biggest lessons I have learned in the past 5 years is to treat myself with kindness rest when needed. I have no regrets with having done the surgery and I am still very happy with the results. I am also very happy when I am able to help others with this condition. So I am sharing with you so that if any of you are on the fence and want to know someone else's experience you have mine. Peace, joy, hope, love and happiness to all of you lovely ladies and gents.. Never forget how special and unique you are.

8 Replies

That’s fantastic news,I’m so pleased for you.I hadn’t realised how much time had passed since your surgery,five years wow!that time has really flown by.

Happy New Year to you too and keep up the good work xx

Snaomi profile image
Snaomi in reply to Julia-25

It really has flown by.

Hi Naomi and Happy New year!It's so encouraging and refreshing to hear good stories about successful surgery and patients getting on well with lymphoedema.

Can i ask if by SAPL you mean Suction Assisted Protein Lipectomy?

Are you able to share more details about where and with whom you did it please?

I have had 2 lymph nodes transplants and liposuction in 2010 and 2011 which helped reduce the size of my leg but my thigh has these past couple of years gone really hard from fibrosis and it's getting worse slowly, I'm now swollen unless I'm bandaged or in hosiery (this wasn't the case in the past, i could take the day off hosiery and the size would go down again once I rested, it now swells as soon as i get up!)

So I'm looking at what else can be done to help it, whether another surgery to get the size down again or something else.

Would appreciate if you could share a bit more on this SAPL as sound great.

Best,

Samia

Snaomi profile image
Snaomi in reply to SamLymphie

Samia, I live in the US and had a surgeon from down in Manhattan Beach do the surgery. His name is Dr. Jai Granzow. Fantastic doctor. I had both legs done but at different times. I would recommend to you to to do some mld and get the swelling down and then wrap it. I am diligent about keeping my garments on all day until bedtime and only have them off to shower. For fibrosis tissue you might try suction cups lightly around the area and then mld. It works. After my surgeries, I have only had to do mld sometimes but wearing the garments is not option it is a must. Hope this helps. Take care.

Snaomi profile image
Snaomi in reply to Snaomi

Also yes SAPL = Suction Assisted protein lipectomy

SamLymphie profile image
SamLymphie in reply to Snaomi

Thanks, wish i was as diligent!I find it too painful to keep hosiery on all day especially if i am seating or lying down.

I am making contact to be referred again, here in London, UK i am finding the level of care isn't great but will give it a try and see.

So good to hear from you Snaomi, I can't believe it's 5 years but am delighted to hear of your successful outcomes. Keep on keeping on honey xx

Snaomi profile image
Snaomi in reply to lovesradio

Thank you.

You may also like...