Log in
Sticky Blood-Hughes Syndrome Support
8,624 members8,733 posts

Antiphospholipid Antibodies Syndrome

To the girl with APS Syndrome!! I have the same thing. You need a Hemotologist they are the blood doctor. However I went to the specialist after losing two baby's that I was trying for with a third pregnancy. He had me take 81mg baby Aspirin daily while I was pregnant. I went on to have 3 healthy children! I'm now 43 and take the baby aspirin every day to keep my blood thin. You have to find out if it's primary or secondary. That Hemo you went to is a quack! Go somewhere else!

5 Replies

Hello Heatherrae I see you have just joined our Forum, are you aware that everyone on here will have APS as that is what Sticky Blood Hughes Syndrome is?

Im sorry to hear about your losses but glad that aspirin is a good treatment option for you - it isn't for everyone however.

Rheumatologists and Haematologists alike can treat this condition, it depends on if they chose to specialise in this condition - not all do. Im not sure who your post is directed at but we refrain from referring to any medically qualified Doctor on here as a quack!


Hi there, I’m new here.

I was diagnosed with APS after several miscarriages. I had a great doctor in LA who diagnosed me, and treated me with Lovenox. Within 5 Years I was blessed with three beautiful children, now ages 7, 8 and 10.

I am very active, exercise, eat healthy... all that, but over the last year I have been getting Raynauds symptoms ( blue fingers when cold) and flare up symptoms on a monthly basis where I am extremely fatigued, achy and have minor (yet dibilitating) symptoms. I have elevated ANA, IGA,s but I am not diagnosed with anything but APS.

I’m trying to figure out what can prevent these flare ups. Hoping someone can help.


I’m confused are you saying you were prescribed Lovenox when you were pregnant or are still taking it?

It’s possible you are/have developed another autoimmune condition as others run with Hughes. Some Drs think that woman who present with the condition when they are pregnant have obstetric APS but many actually have APS full stop and need lifelong treatment.

You need to check that your minerals are all up where they should be and other hormones too. So get a full thyroid screen, vit D, B12 and ferritin. Raynaud's often runs with many autoimmune conditions unfortunately.

Plaquenil is a medication often prescribed to help with the symptoms you describe but it can take a couple of months to kick off.

1 like

IMHO, I think you need to see a rheumatologist who is a lupus specialist. I am not suggesting you have SLE, but in my experience, lupus specialists are far better with APS/Hughes syndrome and other autoimmune diseases. Raynaud's can be Primary or Secondary, just as APS can be Primary or Secondary. You need a good specialist.

With good wishes,



Hi, which person are you referring to, are they on here, or is it a newspaper article or something, do clarify if you need help. MaryF


You may also like...