It’s Gluten free and healthy - Butternut sq... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

51,803 members9,626 posts

It’s Gluten free and healthy - Butternut squash & swede chips

Catatvet05 profile image
Catatvet05

I had butternut squash and swede as a snack today 😋 I intended to make mash out of the swede but instead I used both vegetables to make chips. It was my first experience trying swede, kind of tastes like cabbage but nicer version. 😆 I love butternut squash roasted ❤️

Chop into thick small slices, marinate in olive oil, honey and mace herb. That’s just a personal choice. I added some sea salt as well.

Takes around 40-45 minutes to cook. I used an electric oven at 180.

15 Replies
Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey these look totally gorgeous roasted chips Catatvet05 which I’ll definitely have to try. 👍😊

Catatvet05 profile image
Catatvet05 in reply to Jerry

Go for it! 😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi Catatvet05

Those vegetable chips looks scrumptious! Yum!

Zest :-)

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersVegan star

What a great Idea 😁 its not easy finding healthy snacks

It really isn’t easy and it takes time from scratch. I can’t tolerate a lot of sugar and potatoes so use this method instead. I’m still learning new ideas. Today I made fruit oats bars (gf and ve) . Check out my posts.

Kitten-whiskersVegan star in reply to Catatvet05

Will do, thank you

I used to love swede, but I no longer have the strength to cut them up!

Catatvet05 profile image
Catatvet05 in reply to Midori

It does take some strength and handling to cut it up, I must say. I think Tesco do half cuts? I want to try mash next.

Kitten-whiskersVegan star in reply to Midori

Can you get frozen ones already cut up, I do that with butternut squash - by it frozen cut up nicely into squares

Not that I’ve seen? That would be ideal. But sometimes I find own bought frozen butternut squash not great. I guess once you cut up your veg you could freeze it after?

I do that with peppers, but not so much other veggies because you need to blanch them first but you certainly could do, better than letting them go to waste

I hate wasting food so I do my best to make what I can out of it. I never knew about blanching - thanks for that. Boil first?

Kitten-whiskersVegan star

I hate waste, if I have veggies over then I tend to make soup or stock.

Blanching is a cooking process in which a food, usually a vegetable or fruit, is put in boiling water, removed after a brief, timed interval, and finally put into iced water or placed under cold running water to halt the cooking process.

Soup is a great - what I do with left over vegetables

Yes or Veggie and Potato Patties - Yummy

You may also like...