Hello all this is my first posting on here, to cut a long story short, My Husband who's 53 was firstly diagnosed in 2008 with Acute myeloid Leukeamia (good risk) which was successfully treated and now been in remission for 7 yrs, but on his last cycle of chemo he developed a rarer well in UK anyway, invasive fungal infection called Zygomycetes, his consultants didn't think he would survive as it had spread to liver,spleen and bone, but he was treated with IV Ambisome and oral Posaconazole, treatment for 1 year in total, outcome: treatment successful and consultant thinks he even coughed up fungal ball in lung cavity as the cavity was clear on final CT, great life back to normal.
All has been fine until Sept last year when he developed a severe persistent cough, the worst cough I have ever heard!
Went to GP, who ordered an X Ray which they said did not look much different to last X Ray, cough still persisting, referred to respiratory Consultant said she would arrange a CT, explained we were about to go on holiday to Egypt , she said fine to go.
Whils there my husband had quite large hemoptosis so ended up in hospital,this resolved, on return home back to consultant, bronchoscope performed, non conclusive, 3 sputum samples were put in for cultures, they showed Aspergillus fumigatus ( scanty growth) but consultant was adamant no treatment necessary and his body would probably eradicate on its own, I was not happy with this especially due to his past history !
I was practically begging them to start some treatment but they stuck in saying none necessary, it all blew up in January when he had a large hemoptosis, and they had to have an embolisation of 3 vessels, it was only then and I feel after I had got his haematology consultant involved they decided to start some treatment.
They started itraconazole oral 200mg twice a day, he is well in himself and very fit.but on a recent sputum sample it showed moderate growth for Aspergillus whereas the month before it was showing light growth, his consultant feels there would be little benefit on changing the anti fun gals to another one, but I feel it must be worth trying, we are as now waiting to see what the micro biologist says.
My main concern is his life expectancy, and is there still chance after nearly 8 months of itraconazole it could still work, or anything else !!
I would be grateful for any help or advise