Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,671 members50,931 posts

We own our home, do not claim benefits other than DLA - mobility only - can I rent out my spare room? Won't I be taxed on the rent?

We have a spare room. We pay a mortgage. We both work. I claim the mobility part of the DLA. My question though is, can I rent out my spare bedroom and do I have to declare it to anyone? Doesn't renting out my room mean I have to provide a rental book and pay tax on the income? So how would that help someone on benefits if they then have to pay tax on the rent they receive???

5 Replies

It's my belief you can rent out your room tax free under the government rent a room scheme. Think you can charge upto £80 per week. Have a look on line.


The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £4,250 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else. - refers

Hope this helps. Sx


Wow, Things really are different here "Down under" People rent out rooms all the time, share a house and each person puts in their share of the rent, or some people own their own home and just think it's good if they have pets and go away, knowing someone else is there to feed them can be peace of mind if you can trust that person, but rent is also covered under expenses, like gas, electric, phone, etc, it doesn't have to be called rent, it can be call shared expenses, it's all in the wording.

Anyway goodluck everyone

Jan (Shadycurt) Shady use to be a very special dog I had, one I had over twenty years ago. You know I still cry to this day when I think about her. I know that sounds silly but God! I love her so much and know in my heart she will be there waiting for me when I cross over, and Curt is my son's name. So that's where Shadycurt came from. Anyone else have a story about there user name? Love to hear it, as a writer I'm always on the outlook for other people's stories, everyone has a story to tell. I'd love to hear from anyone who would like to share theirs.

Merry Christmas everyone, I'd love to have a white Christmas. One day I'll have to visit one of you at Christmas and enjoy a real traditional Christmas.


My guess is that they increase your tax code so that you can earn more whether as earned income or unearned income (Which i think rent comes under), so that you don't start paying tax until you reach a certain level.

It sounds like a great idea if you have the space, but me personally I would rent out part of my house to a stranger…may be different if you know the person.

Good luck if you go ahead, i hope it works out for you…a nice little earner if you can make it work xx


Thank you for your help. A route I may be forced to take at some time, but you are right about the stranger bit. That's what is stopping me. My mum had lodgers while I was growing up. They had their own keys to their rooms, but we didn't. I guess they locked valuables away but we never had a problem. Its whether they use your facilities that bothers me, and the intrusion on your privacy.


You may also like...