Changed to Cymbalta /Duloxetine for Fibromyalgia

I hope you lovely people are keeping as well as you can. My post this time is about Cymbalta/Duloxetine. I had been taking Fluoxetine on and off ( more often on) for the last 20 years. I have now been changed to Duloxetine on the advice of the Pain Management Consultant I met with last week regarding how to cope with Fybromyalgia.

Today is my first day on them and I was hoping that some of you might let me know how you got on with this drug, I have been given it as apparently it doubles as Pain Relief and an Anti Depressant.

The fluoxetine definitely helped me cope with depression and as I am sure many of you will understand that I am more than a little anxious about changing, as is my poor husband (he witnessed the aftermath when I very stupidly came off them as a trial to see if I could cope without any anti depression medication, needless to say I couldn't ).

I would be very grateful of any experiences you may have had with taking Cymbalta/Duloxetine

I have been signed off work these past couple of weeks and am still trying g to recover from the worse Fibromyalgia Flare Up ever, each time gets worse than the last, I am asking myself is this what I have to look forward to, I am recently diagnosed and have yet come to terms with this. I don't know if I ever will.

Sending love xxxxx

Last edited by

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi I changed from fluoxetine 40mg to duloxertine 120mg a couple of years ago, I find them quite similar to each other were depression is concerned if anything I've found duloxertine better, it took a few weeks to get on with duloxertine as at first I felt quite weird and not with it, but now I do think they make a difference, all the luck with them and let us know how you get on, sending love and wishes xx

• Hi Lizzy

I have been on Duloxetine for around 3 years now and find it suits me fine - it helps with pain relief and of course depression. I am on 60 mg a day which I take in the morning as it seems to suit me better. I tried taking it at night but found that it kept me awake.

It mostly helps with pain relief during the day which would be much worse (especially during a flare up) without it - I then top up with co codamol at night or when needed.

I don't seem to have any side effects from it thank goodness although I do know that it doesn't suit everyone.

I have tried almost all there is in terms of medications and the above is what suits me best as I seem to be so sensitive to most of them. I had horrible side effects with tramadol and gabapentin and more.

Fibromyalgia is very very difficult to come to terms with - I just make the most of good days to be honest and if I need to rest I do. Pacing yourself when possible is key in managing the fatigue and flare ups.

All the best and hope that this works out for you.

Jane

• Unfortunately Duloxotine didn't suit me at all very bad side effects but I have had problems with all the antidepressants I have tried so it must be me😦. I do hope it suits you and helps.x

• Hi Lizzy-m

I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you possibly can be today? I have never taken this medication myself but I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck and please take care of yourself my friend.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken x

• Hi, I started taking Duloxetine/ Cymbalta 8 years ago. I had a huge problem with side effects when I started ,then after a while I realized it wasn't helping the fibromyalgia pain. I have been tapering off it for over 2 years and have had terrible side effects. I can only reduce by 0.5 mg per month ( I use compounded Cymbalta ) and even with such a low decrease it is still horrible. I think I have an extremely sensitive brain because I get side effects from everything. I hope you have good experiences and it helps your pain.

• Thank you for your reply, unfortunately or maybe fortunately i couldn't stand the side effects and they did nothing at all to ease my pain, I was like a zombie and my mood was so low it was horrendous. I am now back onto the trusty fluoxetine. Still no help with pain but it is starting to look like I have rheumatoid arthritis so am seeing the rheumatologist on the 18th hopefully then I will finally get the proper medication.

Good luck with coming off the drug you do have my every sympathy, I hope too that you find relief xx

You may also like...