Just diagnosed

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed just over a month ago, and I'm still coming to terms with it, I keep telling myself it must be something else but I know deep down its not, I'm on gabapentin but it doesn't help with the pain a great deal nor do ordinary painkillers, going back to the doctors this week, any suggestions on a better painkiller, advice will be greatly appreciated, thankyou

3 Replies

• Hi

Sorry you have fibro too, it is difficult to cope with but needn't be the end of enjoyment. I have found a few things helpful. I take supplements of Vit C, D & B12 and also sometimes take magnesium and potassium. I have found the only thing that shifts the muscle cramps I get is Rhus Tox from Amazon (about £5) though in time they return. I have also just been put onto Duloxetine as my GP said that is the med with the best results in clinical trials, and after just 48 hours I am feeling very much less pain, not totally gone but completely manageable and my mood has lifted too as it's an anti-depressant though in low doses it's a fibro med.

The most helpful thing I have found is joining the Ramblers and so getting social interaction at the same time as a form of exercise which is less boring than going to the gym - and importantly at my own pace. I find pushing myself the slightest bit at anything immediately causes a flare-up and so I try to pace myself gently, be kind to myself and listen to my own body - even when it goes against helpful advice from friends or medics.

• Hi carolb64

I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you possibly can be today? Welcome to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I genuinely hope that you find the forum useful, informative and loads of fun! I have pasted you a link below to our mother site, FibroAction, which hosts loads of useful Fibro information:

FibroAction Website:

I personally have a neural inhibitor type medication called Nortriptyline and an out-and-out pain killer such as Co-Codamol and/or Naproxen. However, there are many different combinations that you could try until you find what works well for you?

I want to wish you all the best of luck with your GP appointment.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken x

• I think most of us go through a "mourning period" with chronic illness. I think I went through several cycles of this when I first diagnosed. I had relief that I did not have something very serious even though fibro is life changing and painful. I also had cycles of being upset. Cycles of thinking that I was misdiagnosed, etc. It took me at least a year to fully come to term with it all.

I found focusing on my "wellness" and the things I can do has helped me. I recommend talking to a counselor to help you come up with your own "toolbox".

What dose of pregabalin are you on? I was resistant to starting PG but I have found it helpful at reducing my pain. I take 150 mg at night. It took at least 6 weeks for me to start benefiting from it when I first started taking it. I have been on it over a year now. It does not take away all my pain but has reduced it a fair amount.

Best wishes on your wellness journey.

You may also like...