Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,692 members50,955 posts

Just diagnosed

Morning, my doctor diagnosed me last week with fibro but wasn't very supportive just gave me a print out of info and sent me on my way with a prescription for tramadol and amitriptyline, I feel very confused she didn't ask me to come back?! She did say she was going to refer me to a rheumatoid clinic is that the norm?.

I am a single mum and I work 4 1/2 hours a day in a kitchen I love my job and want to continue to work but I am in so much pain by the time I get home and am exhausted, would I get financial help if I reduced my hours ? And what would I be entitled to if I can no longer work? I am totally stressed out? Please help x

11 Replies


I think you will get more info from the Rheumy clinic :-). And you can ask your GP to refer you to the Pain Clinic…best thing that ever happened for me :-). Not sure about the help but I know one of the good folks here will be able to provide you with info.

Gentle hugs



Hi Sarah and welcome. You will find loads of relevant information on this site. Like you, I was also diagnosed by my GP and haven't been referred to a rheumatologist. When I queried that I was told that the information I would get would be the same.

I also got a prescription and a print out, however I kept going back to see my GP as the meds I had been given did not alleviate the pain in any way. These have been increased, decreased and added to with various other things as we try to get a combination that reduces the pain but doesn't leave me feeling doped up. This is still a work in progress and may take some time yet.

I am in the process of applying for PIP = personal independance payment. This is a benefit you can apply for even if you are working as it is based on the impact that your condition has on your life. I am not sure about any other benefits but there are many others who will be able to help you with that and they will be along to help and advise you soon, I have no doubt. You can also access help and information by clicking on the yellow fibro butterfly at the top right hand side of your screen.

I have yet to find anything that helps with the overwhelming exhaustion sadly, as that is one of the worst things to deal with. Good luck and I hope you get more asnwers soon. Linda


Hi Sarah and welcome to our lovely forum. You will find that we are a very friendly bunch, but with good sound advice coming from experience. I know your GP gave you a bunch of information but I think you might be better off taking a look at our website which is full of information and medically completely correct

I'm so sorry that you are feeling so stressed out, but I certainly understand why. You have been given a diagnosis and a referral to a rheumatologist, which is a good thing as rheumys do tend to have a

much better understanding of Fibro than your GP seems to.

Also a jilly so rightly says a referral to a Pain Management Clinic would be a very good thing :-)

I understand your wanting to keep working and that, as long as you are physically capable of doing so is great. You can do what they call "permitted work" which I think (hope I'm not wrong on this) allows you to work up to 16 hours a week without impacting on benefits. Having said that, you would have to start claiming benefit as you are not on any at the moment. I think a visit to your local CAB would be of good use to you to find out what your options are in this situation.

Coming to this site has been a good move for you as we will all do our best to support you through the difficult time of coming to terms with a chronic pain condition, which we unfortunately know all too well. We also have some fun times to try and lift each other's spirits, which seems to work quite well as sometimes when pain is overwhelming you need something to distract you, so pull up a chair and join in, it will be nice to get to know you more :-)

Foggy x

1 like

Thank you all so much for your kind words and warm welcome, I have just got home from work and received an appointment for rheumatology clinic for the end of the month which I'm pleased about, feeling very tearful today about everything roll on the weekend x


Hi Sarahs23

Firstly, welcome to the site, there are so many friendly people here that I am sure you will love it! There is also so much information on FibroAction that can help and advise you.

I am so sorry to read that you have this illness, but all of of here understand exactly what you are going through and how you feel. You stated that you are a single parent, I was wondering if you already receive any working tax credits or child tax credits? If so, I would contact your tax credit issuer and ascertain how much more benefit they would give you in return for cutting your hours and hence, you pay. I understand that these benefits are being replaced around the country slowly so depending on where you are it might already be known as Universal Credit.

I am not surprised that you are feeling exhausted as working and bringing up a family is enough to exhaust anyone let alone somebody with Fibrmyalgia. Please try not to get too stressed as this might aggravate your Fibromyalgia and give you a flare up. If I were you I would also ask my GP for a referral to a pain management clinic.

I sincerely hope that you can find some resolution to some of your issues.

Take care

Ken x


hi ken ,thank you very much for the advice ,i am getting child tax credit.i fogot to say that i am a career for my two children,so we are getting by also on my careers allowance,untill i hear about my appeal for esa


Hi tamara

I just thought you may like to know this? As there are enhanced rates of income support for people who look after others and cannot work as a result of this.

I have a sister who suffers with Downs Syndrome (41 years old) and for many years I have held power of attorney for her welfare, so she can live in her own home with a carer. She receives DLA (soon to be PIP). She is entitled to low rate mobility and high rate personal care and she gets an enhanced rate of Income Support.

I applied to have her reassessed to get more DLA and the DWP gave her an enhanced rate of Income Support instead. I was wondering if maybe you could claim the same since you were looking after your two children?

It may be worth looking into? Good luck with this.

All my hopes and dreams for you.

Ken x


Hi ken,

Thanks for your message. I am in receipt of working and child tax tax credit I'm pretty sure I will lose my working tax credit if I work under 16 hours so I would need to qualify for ESA I think. I need to take a trip to my local cab.


Hi Sarahs23

Thank you so much for that. Another one of the members Kirby posted yesterday about a link to a select committee page relating to ESA. It would appear upon reading it that qualification depends on being able to prove limited working ability. So a trip to the CAB would be very useful and then to your GP for a the relevant paperwork / certificate I would have thought. (Not certain as I do not get anything like this). But the CAB will be able to tell you.

Good luck with this and I sincerely hope that you can get this benefit.

Ken x


Hello Sarah23,

Welcome to the FibroAction community forum. As you are newly diagnosed you may find the link to to the FAQ below helpful;

You mentioned you are considering claiming for ESA, please do email me at FibroAction, as I can email you some information that may be of help.

Please see link below;

I look forward to hearing from you

Best Wishes

Emma :)

FibroAction Administrator


thank you very much for being so helpful .


You may also like...