Urinary retention on gabapentin

Its only quite mild but its annoying as I've spent half the day going to the loo wanting to pee and it seems to take a lot of concentration to do it and then I can't always so when I get back in sitting room or whereever I feel mildly incomfortable and can't stop thinking about going to the loo again. Its not serious enough to warrant intervention but its blooming exhausting going back and forth.

I did read somewhere that urinary retention is a side effect of gabapentin and of course as I've been in a lot more pain recently I have taken the maximum dose am allowed (or prescribed).

Anyone else have this and do similar drugs to gabapentin have similar effect in some.

Last edited by

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I really think you should see your GP, even if it is a side effect of medication you should no ignore this. Wishing you all the best. Lou x

• Thanks

• Hi Frankiebeee

I am so sorry to read that you are experiencing this issue, and I genuinely hope that you can find some resolution and relief to this problem. I would also recommend that you discuss this issue with your GP just to have other medical conditions ruled out.

I have pasted you a link to the Patient UK Website, and their pages on Gabapentin side effects:

patient.co.uk/medicine/gaba...

I want to wish you all the best of luck.

All my hopes and dreams for you.

Ken

• Hi Frankiebeee, I have the same problem and it drives me nuts some days. I also take Gabapentin but wasn't aware that it was the cause of the problem as I have had this problem of frequent loo visits for longer than I have been taking it. Guess it calls for some research on my part. Food for thought.

• I too suffer from this but not on gabapentine, drives me mad too! At least I know I'm not on my own, sorry to see that you suffer too

• Hi frankiebeee yeah I also have the same problems . X.

• You should tell your doctor sweetheart!!! Sometimes it means more than we think. It made me swell really bad. xxxx Mitzi

• Hello Frankiebeee. I was on Gabapentin and I was and still am having urinary retention, but I am certain it's Co comadol that I take at times for severe headaches. It comes on a few hours after taking them. I am now on Pregabin a similar drug. My GP is at a loss to what is the actual reason for this.

• This sounds like it could be same as I am suffering which is an irritable bladder and its another lovely symptom of fibromyalgia xxxxx

You may also like...