Rheumatologists that specialise in Fibromyalgia??

Hi all FM sufferers, can any of you recommend a Fibromyalgia Clinic / Rheumatologist in either Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham or Sheffield (who specialise in FM)?

I have come across the Rheumatology Clinic at Guys Hospital in London, but it is a long way from where I live in S. Yorkshire. I will ask my GP for a referral to Guys if I cannot locate a similar Rheumatology Clinic closer to home. On their website it says a first appointment at Guys takes around 90 minutes and you see more than one specialist I understand: consultant rheumatologist - physiotherapist – clinical psychologist.

Has anyone been referred to Guys and is it as good as it seems to be?

Anyone had a referral to a similar clinic in S. Yorkshire?

10 Replies

  • Hi, I have replied to your other post on this :-)

    Foggy x

  • Hi JeannieMc

    I have pasted you a reply in your other post. However, I was wondering what kind of psychologist you were looking for? Were you thinking of just NHS or Private Counsellor? Or low rate charity organisation?

    I have pasted you the link for the BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists) as they have a register of all NHS and Private Practitioners that are qualified to diploma level and reg with them. There is the UKCP another organisation but both lists tend to have so many listed anyway.


    I sincerely hope that you find the link useful.

    Ken x

  • Ken I am not looking for a psychologist per se, but at Guys hospital it seems that a patient sees a psychologist, rheumatologist and a physiotherapist as part of initial 90 minute appointment. It seems quite 'holistic'. Worth a visit maybe?


  • Hi have a look at the rheumatologists Sheffield or Leeds. Guys used to be great unfortunately the prof passed away last July I'm not sure what the Fibro clinic is like now. But you are entitled to a referral there. There should be a specialist at Sheffield or Leeds. The hospital websites should help you.

  • Consultants

    • Dr Bruce Kirkham

    • Professor Tim Spector

    • Dr Frances MK Williams

    • Dr Terrence Gibson

    • Dr Sangita Agarwal

    • Dr Toby Garrood

    This is the list of consultants above from the website; is the professor who has died, listed above?


    Thanks a lot for letting me know and I will be in touch with Guys on Monday.


  • Hello JeannieMc,

    Professor Davies is the name of the Prof who sadly passed away. I was told Dr Garood & Dr Irving were the Consultants to see for Fibro at Guys but Dr Irving isn't listed here so maybe he is no longer at this hospital.

    Hope this helps

    Emma :)

    FibroAction Administrator

  • Helps a lot. I just think because they are the only national FM clinic, that it would be worth waiting to see them. Another poster has told me about a possible closer doctor who diagnosed them, but have asked for more details: name of consultant & name of hospital.

    I would also hate to wait 18 weeks, travel to London and find it's not good. Wish someone would come on whose actually used Guys. I will try some websites.


  • Yes, it was prof Davies who passed away suddenly. You could give the clinic a ring at Guys and speak to one of the managers or nurses, they'll happily talk through their service... Good luck.

  • Dr Mohammed Akil at Sheffield Hallamshire is brilliant . He is a rheumatologist .

  • Hello Fantastic,

    Please do email us so we can add him to our Fibro Friendly Directory


    Many Thanks

    Emma :)

    FibroAction Administrator

You may also like...