Fertility Network UK
13,905 members22,868 posts

IUI on the nhs?

Me and my partner have been trying to conceive since january 2010. I already have a son from a previous relationship. He is 11 years old now. Well anyway me and my partner have unexplained fertility. Im seeing a gyno doctor at my local hospital. Ive had test done and came back ok my partner had a semen analyse done and was ok. So we have unexplained fertility. When i saw the gyno doc back in december she mentioned something IUI but didnt really take in what she said. So my question is can u have IUI on the nhs if u already have a child? Oh and she put me on 3 months of clomid at 50mgs and then upped the doze to 100mgs for 3 months.

Thank u

2 Replies


It all depends on the pct. Funding for any fertility treatment is very strict and ususlly if you or yoyr partner have a child from a previouud relationship or together you would not be eligable. The best thing i can advise you do is put the question to the specialist you have been allocated. They will tell you your future options and funding criteria. Alternativley each pct or trust have a website and it is full of information on all treatments and criteria. For example sheffield will only fund one round of ivf, iui etc if you have no precious children on either side and fall within the boundaries bmi wise.

Hope this helps a little.

Saz :)


Hi. Good to hear that all your results have come back as “normal”. However, it is extremely annoying to come under the category of “Unexplained Infertility”, as you wonder “why” then aren’t we getting pregnant?? The Clomid you have been put on will serve to ensure that you are ovulating regularly, and hopefully will be all that you need. However, regarding IUI on the NHS. It is doubtful you will be allowed this, as you already have a son. Do have a look at the criteria for treatment on the NHS in your PCT (Primary Care Trust) area just in case you might be eligible. If you have a look at our website infertilitynetworkuk.com under NHS Funding, you will be able to find this out. Also there are template letters you can fill in and send off to request funding and appeal if necessary. They are at the bottom of the same page. I wish you well with applying, but should you have to pay, then you will find lots of information on the same site too. Regards Diane


You may also like...