IVF after 3 failed IUI

So it's been nearly 3 years and tomorrow we have our appointment for IVF... I'm not sure exactly when I will be starting the treatment but we have had a few appointments already and I am at the perfect time in my cycle (I ovulated a few days ago and haven't yet started my next period) - so we are hoping (with everything crossed!!) that they start me on meds tomorrow for treatment in October. I am incredibly nervous... We have already done three self funded rounds of IUI but found out at the beginning of this year that I have polycystic ovaries which meant we were entitled to IVF on the NHS. Does anyone have any advice at all? My main question is, does the egg retrieval hurt?? I am absolutely petrified of needles but have managed to get my head around injecting myself daily, I just can't seem to get my head round the egg retrieval side of things and am petrified that I will feel some, if not all of the procedure.

Thank you for taking your time to read this xx

6 Replies

• Hi! I do not want to scare you, but the egg retrieval procedure hurts, although you will be sedated so you won’t feel the pain, but after the surgery I myself have been taking painkillers and it was harder than I thought to recover for the first time after the procedure. Nothing bad, but I didn't think that it'd be that hard for me..

But everyone is different, the only thing you have to understand that this is a surgery and you will be sedated, so you won't feel any pain. Everything is going to be just fine, the procedure doesn't take a lot of time.

Good luck to you hun!

• Thank you so much for your reply. My consultant said I wouldn't be sedated but would be on a very very high dosage of pain killers which would make me semi conscious - I have my main appointment tomorrow so am going to ask if it's possible to be completely sedated. I am self employed so when you say you took a while to recover, how many days do you think I will need to take off work? Xx

• It didn't take too long though, I was just surprised that the procedure was that hard on me. It took one week at most. Oh, really? Maybe it will be possible, because in my clinic I was sedated actually and it doesn't sound right to take the painkillers, because it is actually a painful procedure... xx

• Make sure you're fully sedated don't even go there without it. I've done two with pain killers not good! You have a right to be fully sedated

• Thank you for your reply, how many rounds of IVF have you had? By sedated do people mean completely knocked out and asleep?? Xx

• Hey I've had 2 egg collections. Both awful without sedation. This time I'm going under general anaesthetic. The last one I had a full blown panic attack, vomited in surgery and they had to leave one ovary full of eggs.

It's a horrid procedure, there's no way I'd do it just under sedation just incase.

You may also like...