I had my eggs collected yesterday after nine days of injections. I had expected to need to take the drugs for longer as my treatment protocol envisaged 11 days.
We had 9 eggs. I got a call this morning from the embryologist to say that six were unsuitable because they were immature. One didn't fertilise so we have just two embryos at the moment. I know that this is a numbers game and am terrified of losing one or both over the coming days. The thing that concerns me is that the eggs were too immature to be of use. The embryologist said that eggs are matured by the trigger injection so collecting later wouldn't have made a difference but I still can't quite understand why it wouldn't have helped to wait a bit longer. Can anyone explain? Sorry if I'm being really thick here.
The other thing that's happened is that our clinic has a special embryo scope thing which they use to watch the embryos develop. It's expensive and not covered by NHS funding. We were told that we could decide whether to use it or not when we knew how many embryos we had (and we said that if we had three or less we probably wouldn't bother). However - we had to pay for it in advance and they said they'd refund us if we decided not to have it. When I got the phone call this morning the clinic had put our embryos in the scope already, without giving us the choice that they said we would have. Given that there are only two, there's no way we would have gone for it because if both survive we would transfer one and freeze the other to try to use later on. I feel that we've been misled. It's £800 which is a lot of money that we don't really have and wouldn't have committed for so few embryos. I'm worried that now the embryos are in there it could harm them to move them and I'm reluctant to complain about the people looking after our precious embryos when they're at such a vulnerable stage. I've really lost trust in our clinic over this. Sorry to rant, I feel misled and am so upset about the numbers. This is our only funded cycle and I'm so scared of getting the call to say that there is nothing left to transfer