Insulin Resistence and treatment

Do any of you have Insulin Resistence? One of the symptoms of this medical condition is that it is hard to loose weight. I needed another lb to go before I was at the top end of the weight scale and now I am 2lb over. I've got my consultant appointment next week and I'm worried that I wo't be able to be treated (one minute I'm worrying about treatment and the next I'm worried in case I can't have treatment) argh!!

It all seems a bit too much to deal with.

I'm going to try the slimming world approach where you eat protein without carbs or when you have carbs you have them with a vegetarian option and no protein. I lost a little with this before so we shall see.

I know how a hamster feels on his wheel - its exhausting! x

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi there, I can recommend slimming world, it is really fab. I am a little insulin resistance and even before I found out I lost nearly 1st at slimming world. Now I am taking Metformin which helps with the insulin resistance. My top tip is not to snack on fruit or carbs (or anything with sugar) keep snaks to ham and boiled eggs.

• Thank you for your message.

I think you have a protein day one day and a carb day the next don't you?

I guess a little fruit is good too?

Christina x

• I got insulin resistance from skipping breakfasts, not eating regularly, fasting and from emotional shocks and traumas. I successfully treated in on my own by changing my diet, eating more yogurt, protein, avoiding wheat whenever i could, and adding supplements such as vitamin D, Chromium, Inositol and Magesium citrate.

The alternative is Metformin, if you prefer drugs. x

• Thank you for your reply. I'm doing slimming world but find it rather boring! Where I don't mix protein wth carbs.

A doctor hasn't advised me on supplements yet, the only thing I take is Folic Acid. I will be taking loads of medication when my treatment starts so for now I'm a bit wary of taking anything extra. It makes sense what you've tried x

You may also like...