Endometriosis UK

First time been referred to the gynae


Im new here and to whats going on to be fair.

For a couple of years I've been experiencing awful pains etc odd periods spotting shooting pains from my left pelvis down my legs etc not nice things. Anyway today after copious appointments I have been referred to a gynae for suspected endometriosis. I was wondering if someone could put my mind at ease and explain to me what they will do? or if they will do anything on my first visit.

Thank you in advance


2 Replies

HI Sammy, Usually gynae will take a medical history, and an internal examination. He may send you for an ultrasound to check for endometriomas. He may also put you on birth control for 3-6 months to see if symptoms improve. If they don't you will go back and he may ask to do laparoscopy - that's the only way to diagnose endometriosis. This is what happened in my experience. I hope you get a good gynae - if you feel like they aren't good enough, ask GP for a referral to a BSGE centre. Hope this is helpful, good luck x :)

1 like

Thank you so much for your reply. The knowing is unnerving so thank you for putting my mind at ease on what to expect :) I hope you are ok and thank again x


You may also like...