Endometriosis UK
35,355 members31,461 posts

Depo, implant or mini pill?

Hi ladies,

I had my first appointment with the consultant today and have come away feeling unsure about what to do next.

The consultant agreed to doing a laparoscopy and has referred me but he said it could take 2-3 months. In the mean time he suggested trying the depo injection, the implant or the mini pill to try and control the pain as the combined pill isn't working.

Although he agreed to investigate as I wanted, I felt like he was rushing the appointment and he said a couple of things I know aren't true - he said because of my age (21) and the fact I've had a clear scan there's a 5-10% chance it's endo, but I know that's rubbish as Endometriosis UK says the opposite. Also he said sometimes periods are painful when nothing is wrong.. Fair enough but not every single day.

I'd really appreciate your opinions on the three treatment options (for pain and IBS symptoms specifically) please only positive stories as I'm already freaked out and confused about making the decision. Also, do you think it's worth changing doctor? He was pleasant enough and did understand when I expressed my fertility concerns but I wasn't completely happy.

Thanks! Xx

19 Replies

Hi huni, sorry to hear your news, I've been to see my gyni today they totally think I have endo, already had the coil in but that's playing up so they are taking it out and want to monitor me for a couple of months, if the bleeding and pain comes back more they said u could have an injection in my hips to stop my ovaries from working m, failing that they said oli could be sterilised and have a lap at the same time, this is going to go for months. They are sending me for another scan to check for cysts 😁😁😁 totally understand where your coming from though I feel Like I'm in pain everyday too xxxxx


Hi thanks for your reply

I hope your scan goes well. My doctor suggested the coil too but I'm not sure.. Xxx



Your post is interesting as it gives a first hand view of how young women are dealt with in general gynaecology and how so many go on to have endo undiagnosed for years. We don't know yet if you do have it, but if you do you are a classic example of a young woman having started symptoms very young, in your case at age 14, and being told you are too young or that you have IBS (which I guess may have been suggested somewhere along the road) because bowel investigations are clear. BUT the symptoms you have of constant pelvic pain, shooting pain, pain down your legs, pressure in your bum, severe pain on opening your bowels, back pain, painful sex and exhaustion are absolutely not normal and any gynaecologist who is not concerned about such symptoms quite frankly should be struck off for such lack of knowledge.

The very first consideration in the face of such symptoms is to rule out the obvious and the obvious is a high likelihood of endo that may well have spread to the rectovaginal area. This is an area that a general gynaecologist should not tackle so rather than book you in for a lap themselves they should think ahead of what is possible and refer you on to a specialist centre where they have the skill to deal with this should it become apparent at the lap. Having a lap in general gynaecology runs a high risk of having rectovaginal endo missed or, perhaps worse, having a surgeon attempt to tackle it who is not qualified. Also when a surgeon has already made their mind up that you are unlikely to have it they will typically not look very extensively at a lap.

You clearly have reservations about this surgeon and you are right to. You should be having your lap in a specialist centre but the ease of referral will depend on where you are in the UK. Where are you located?


Hi Linda, thank you so much for your detailed reply.

I completely agree with you and I know it's so important to be seen at a specialist centre, it's just through desperation and suffering that I accepted a referral to be seen quickly.

I was seen at a BMI private hospital but of course that doesn't mean anything if the surgeon doesn't even believe there's a problem. I live in Enfield, North London and my local hospital has a specialist centre - I asked my GP to be referred there but the wait was months long just for a first appointment.

I can't work because of my symptoms and have been increasingly depressed, I've been signed off for two months now and the thought of going back makes me feel sick. I don't want to put more chemicals in my body when the problem isn't being treated, I just feel out of options and so uncomfortable in the short term.

I guess my question is, if this private doctor has referred me for a lap, how do I go about changing it to be done at the specialist centre? I don't want to start all over again if I can help it as I can't survive on SSP much longer. Do I ring the GP or private hospital?

Also I'm guessing the 'treatment' options he suggested are rubbish?

Thanks again x


Hi - I am out today so will give a quick reply now to reassure you then get back more fully. As you are in England that is great as you have access to NHS Choices and can see anyone you want on the NHS. The GP charter (Good Medical Practice) entitles you to a second opinion at any time so any exisiting treatment can be immediately cancelled and changed to someone else. Also you can see any of the proper specialist for a private first appointment then transfer to the NHS for treatment. It will ineviatbly take a few months for a lap wherever you go but the most important issue is choosing well. Can you click on my name and send me a private message with the name and hospital of the guy you saw and also look at my post on how to find a specialist. To see a general gynae who doesn't know his stuff and have an inadequate lap will ultimately cost you more time in the long run rather than seeing a specialist from the start. x

1 like

Thank you - that makes loads of sense.

I've just checked and the specialists on the list also work at the private hospital I was seen at yesterday, I guess that's a good thing in terms of swapping over?

I know you're busy now but if you could please let me know who I contact to swap I'd be really grateful. I'm considering paying to see them as you suggested.

I'll send you the info privately now x


I really cant stand drs.. I hate that every women is told the same thing, surgery and pills. Ive been through them both and they are GARBAGE! If they find endp big deal they will cut or burn it BUT it can grow back. You see they don't get to the bottom of WHY you have these symptoms in the first place. You were right periods SHOULDNT be painful. Really that isnt normal. It is in todays day and age but its not normal. Your body is estrogen dominant and its reacting in the form of pain. It could be endo it could be cysts. Research estrogen dominance symptoms online and you will learn what im getting at. Using a good progesterone cream like natpro or fertilica will help your pain and help get rid of whatever issue is in there with out you having to go through surgery! Wobenzym in great to for cysts and endo. I got rid of a 7.6 cm ovarian cyst without surgery! I refused because my dr said id probably loose my ovary in the process. I cut gluten and dairy out of my diet used the two things mentioned above and tried my best to get extra estrogens and endocrine disruptors out of my life. And it worked my cyst is gone :) I also had a lapo done 8 yrs ago and she said I didnt have endo I recently saw a fertility specialist who looked at my pics from back then and he said I def did and do have endo. Which has come a long way from what it was with my treatment for my cyst but I still had some symptoms leading towards endo. My newest discovery is how red meat effects endo ive been 3 weeks without it and have honeslty seen a difference already! Good luck!


Also your ibs is most likely a dairy or gluten allergy or both. They are very common with women who suffer from endo im allergic to both and my stomach use to be a MESS but now im TOTALLY FINE no diahrea no acid reflux no gas no nothing its like heaven !


Hi bell lady thanks so much for your reply.

Where do you buy progesterone cream or is it on prescription? How is it applied?

I'd love to try it instead of horrible injections etc.

I've had a 'IBS' diagnosis for 7 years but I don't believe it's a real thing, just a group of symptoms pointing to something else.

I've cut out gluten for more than a year and limited dairy but unfortunately I still suffer - I guess it doesn't always work for everyone. I think I've tried every remedy under the sun!

I'm very interested in the cream though if you could let me know some more info? Thanks xxx


Yes of course im glad you asked :) I would recommend nat pro or fertilica they both are great nat pro is very concentrated but fertilica has added herbs which are very helpful too. Ill post links below on where to buy. Great job cutting out gluten I fear it still may be dairy? I took a while completely getting of dairy but once I fully cut it out I really noticed a difference I would try and see. my hubs and his brother never thought they were allergic to dairy until I told them to really start paying attention to what they ate before their stomach hurt. Hoping you can figure it out I know that is awful :( also with the creams. You will need more than the reccomended dose since your estrogen symptoms are so high wray white talks all about it shes the one that recomends nat pro because its concentrated. Also never use prescripton progesterone its not the same . any questions feel free to ask. Oh also you start after ovulation so for example I have a 26/27 day cycle. I start my fertilica cream day 15 once I have ovulated and continue until I start my period then stop using it until after you ovulate again


Nat pro- great product not greasy good quality and concentrated the only reason I switched to fertilica was the fertility herbs sounded intriguing but I do like both and once I get pregnant I cant use the herbs so I will go back to this organicproducts-llc.com/cgi...*14884e2eaa8b51870b74c061&ss_parm=Aeabca0b54565a20218f67f51a4c8588d


Also you rub it in on your abdomen especially and inside of arms inner theighs even face and neck. The thinner skin areas :) sorry forgot to address that


A video On how much to use I use two pumps twice a day of the fertilica and twice the dose for nat pro twice daily when I use it natpro-progesterone-cream.c...


naturalfertilityshop.com/se... LOVE this website so many amazing things on here. For my cyst and endo ive taken the progesterone cream WOBENZYM which is incredible and womens best friend


Thank you - great to have some more info. I'll have a look at all those links and give it a try :)

I've been prescribed the progesterone only pill by my GP also so I'll be trying that instead of the combined pill.



for endometriosis...see only a true excision specialist...this is your only shot at getting your life back! If a Dr. wants to put you on medications without cutting out the diseases it's nothing but a band-aid and will only put off the inevitable but the damage inside is still happening so it's critical we women start insisting on better care which is excision of endometriosis...if they can't remove it from the bladder, bowels, ureters, diaphragm they are not qualified to treat your disease so move on and find someone who is...good luck it's a tough disease and hard to push for yourself when you don't feel well but we have to in order to have a good outcome!


Hi - thanks so much for your reply.

All the comments on here really helped me make a decision, I went back to my GP and requested a second opinion - I gave her the names of two endo specialists so fingers crossed I get the referral letter through soon. It means suffering with a longer wait but at least I know I'll be treated properly! The consultant I saw sent a letter back to my GP saying 'because of her age and clear scan it's unlikely' what a load of crap!



You may also like...