Fasting Sugar level High in the Morning - Diabetes India

Diabetes India
60,455 members11,379 posts

Fasting Sugar level High in the Morning

Dear All,

I may be repeating this post but I am trying to understand the root cause.

My BS 2 hours after dinner is 109 and in the morning at 9 AM it’s 140-170. Taking Medicine Janumet. 6 hours fasting and ba in the evening is 105-110.

Any idea why is this and what could be the reason when we sleep what happens to our body.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Niranjan,

This is very common among T2D.

There can be one of the two reasons for this - 1. Somogyi Effect 2. Dawn Phenomenon.

One has to first confirm which factor is responsible for the rise in blood sugar.

If your blood sugar level around 3 to 4 am becomes lower than bedtime level, it is Somogyi effect.

If your blood sugar level around 3 to 4 am remains more or less same as bedtime level, it is Dawn Phenomenon.

In the first case ( Somogyi) eating some snacks at bedtime which releases sugar slowly may help.

The second case ( Dawn phenomenon) is more difficult to control at least in my experience. One can use slow acting medication which prevents lever to release glucose, but I am trying to fix it by natural means. Still, work in progress. In my case, it is not very high.

Reference below might be of help:

webmd.com/diabetes/tc/dawn-...

thnk you i am not sure what is my BS at 3 to 4 but i will check and post the result

Consume food before 8:00 pm.

Reduce the quantity of food during dinner since you require minimum energy during sleep.

The dawn phenomenon, sometimes called the dawn effect, is an early-morning (usually between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m.) increase in blood sugar (glucose) relevant to people with diabetes. It is different from chronic Somogyi rebound in that dawn phenomenon is not associated with nocturnal hypoglycemia.

I am sure even if i skip my dinner also the BS level in the morning will be high.. i think the reason may be deep sleep more than 3 hours..

This is one of those things that is not fully comprehended.You may have to develop yr own strategy by trial and error.In the meantime,depend on HbA1c for effective control.

2 likes

thank you lets see...

1 like

You may also like...