Diabetic emergencies, PREVENTION

Not all diabetic emergencies can be prevented. Diabetes is a chronic illness and as it progresses, it can become harder to manage.

However a number of precautions can reduce the risk of diabetic emergency. These include

-- eating healthful,balanced,regular meals. Skipping meals is always dangerous.

-- promptly treating signs of infection or illness. Because diabetes damages organs,prompt treatment can prevent minor illnesses becoming more serious.

--not drinking too many alcoholic or sugary drinks. High sugar drinks can raise blood sugar and contribute to obesity .

--taking medication exactly as prescribed. It is because overdose may cause hypoglycemia.

--excercise regularily, it helps body to better control blood sugar.

Last edited by

26 Replies

oldestnewest
  • -- eating healthful,balanced,regular meals. Skipping meals is always dangerous.

How about intermittent fasting?? patliputra

• Well, skipping meals isn't dangerous for sure. Eating 6-8 times a day is surely dangerous. Diabetics keep roza and navratra fasts without any issues. Thing is that they have to be diligent instead of blindly believing what doctors tell them.

• Skipping meals is surely dangerous specially for those on insulin therapy.

• Nope. Just skip the bolus.

Type 1 Diabetics do Roza too during Ramadan. Just needs scientific outlook to go through skipping meals. If one can skip for 8 hrs during sleep, one can surely skip for another 4 to 6 hrs when awake.

• Not all type 1 diabetics are the same. If they drop too fast, they have to eat every few hours.

• Depends. Blind dosing and then trying to control levels by eating frequently is counter-productive.

• Self medication is dangerous thing.

• There are millions across the world don't agree to that as they found that they land far better medical reports versus those who follow the regular advise. No one is advocating "self medication". It self adjustment of dose based on carbs/food intake is what the essence is. That's simple common sense.

Don't tell me diabetic Muslims who go through a month of Roza are self medicating. They are just using common sense.

• No one said anything about 'blind dosing '. No one should blind dose with insulin.

• If you ask diabetics on insulin here, most will tell you that their doc never talked about I:C ratio. They just give a blind starting dose and then tweak, still keeping blood sugar higher than normal.

Not just India, I know of a case from Australia, whose doc won't increase insulin dose despite him landing 200+ after meals

• I will send you a messagein a minute, Anup. It's okay.😀

• Check your PMs. Sent you the messag.

• Checked!

• Those precautions are of very general nature. No specific condition is discussed. Even intermittent fasting is regular . cure.

• IF is tested and trusted by many.

• if fbs is not normal...and person goes for intermittent fasting...will he be able to lower his Hba1c?

• Being type 1 diabetic for 5 years I've not been able to fast at all during Ramadan because the fasts are long is one of the reasons.every type 1 knows how important it is to have a regular meal throughout the day and missing a meal or snack causes hypos.taking insulin when fasting causes fasting.simple as that

• Here it goes from the master --- Dr Richard Bernstein -- Type 1 for 70+ years:

He says -- Take only basal if you are fasting.

That's what I said the other way round, skip the bolus if fasting because bolus is for covering the food. So, if not taking food, skip the bolus :)

Those who are not taking a "Basal + Bolus" regimen but using mixed insulin are out of luck.

A study found that 43 percent of people with type 1 diabetes and 79 percent of people with type 2 diabetes from 13 Islamic countries fast during Ramadan.

Also, more on the subject:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/173...

diabetes.org.uk/ramadan

• Sir what is Basal + Bolus ? pls tell

• Basal insulin s long acting insulin that works 24 hours mostly taken before sleep. Bolus insulin is given 15 min before food intake to cover for the meal you are going to take.

• Basal - Long acting insulin

Bolus - Rapid Acting insulin -- this is used to cover for meals and dosed based on:

1. Pre meal numbers,

2. Carbs and Proteins in meal

3. Post meal target.

• I learnt somewhere that the most difficult emergency for a diabetic on insulin is when vomiting happens for some reason.Can anyone throw some light on this?

• DKA. Happens in complete absence of insulin.

• You can fast8-10 hours if not taking medicines once in a week,not daily7x7 days.

• patliputra

This is from an old article it seems. Typical ada ama aha style. The author presumes and recommends that all diabetics should take medicines and continue eating carbs.

"--taking medication exactly as prescribed. It is because overdose may cause hypoglycemia."

Here we are talking lchf and drugfree life.

Of course due care must be taken during illness infections and vomiting. But remember raised bs is purely physiological. It provides energy to our defense system - white and other cells. Anything to bring down bs levels to normal 🐒🐒 limits can be harmful. Yes. Exceedingly high levels should be controlled. And let me remind you that recovery from illness infections etc continues for three to six weeks during which time bs levels remain high. So one should not get frustrated if bs is high during convelascense period.

• If not taking medicine, that clause does not apply.

You may also like...