Heart disease, cholesterol not linked?A Study Shows Statin Prescriptions A Waste Of Time; Academics Slam Report

Prescriptions for the cholesterol-reducing drugs statins are a waste of time, a group of experts have said in controversial new research which claims cholesterol does not cause heart disease in the elderly.

An international team of scientists reviewed 19 previous studies, involving 68,000 people, and said they found no link between high levels of LDL cholesterol, the so-called "bad cholesterol", and heart disease in the over-60s.

The study found that 92% of people over 60-years-old with high cholesterol lived as long as, or longer than those with low cholesterol levels. In the remaining 8%, no association was found.

Statins have long been prescribed as a means of reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes caused by atherosclerosis.

The authors have called for a reevaluation of statin prescriptions, saying "the benefits from statin treatment have been exaggerated". But the team claims its research indicates high levels of cholesterol may even be beneficial in preventing other illnesses. High cholesterol, the team writes, "binds to and inactivates a broad range of microorganisms and their toxic products", protecting people from some diseases.

The researchers claim high cholesterol levels "may protect against cancer", as studies following 140,000 people for between 10 and 30 years found lower levels of cancer in those whose total cholesterol levels were higher.

They also cite research in which rodents given cholesterol lowering drugs developed cancers. The research has prompted fierce criticism from academics, who have questioned the research methods and bias of the authors.

Professor Jeremy Pearson, associate medical director at the British Heart Foundation, said the findings were "not surprising because, as we get older, many more factors determine our overall health, making the impact of high cholesterol levels less easy to detect". (The independent)


Featured Content

Living with diabetes?

Connect with people like you to get support, advice and tips towards improving your health.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

  • Statins have always been a scam.

    Dr Aseem Malhotra challenged and irked the statin fanboy Sir Rory Collins who gets lot of grant funds from the industry. Collins wanted that article removed but BMJ editorial team told him to publish a counter article -- to counter Dr Aseem Malhotra's article. Collins never wrote any counter article. Was just trying to bully. So, no surprises here.


    Does statin even prevent a repeat heart attack? Ivor Cummins has done a great analysis of medical literature and says NO.


    What STATIN definitely does is increase chances of Diabetes by over 40+ %.

    Dr Uffe Ravnskov had shown how the Statin cheerleaders manipulate data to show how great the pill is:


  • I know of a dr who started taking statin after seeing lab report showing high LDL

    The dr got a heart attack within a year and under went an angioplasty

    Not taking higher dosage

    If this statin was so useful the dr should not have gotten the attack

    This is a real life case I know

You may also like...