I came across the following article from MAYO CLINIC.Found intesting.

Are chicken eggs good or bad for my cholesterol?

Answers from Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, M.D.

Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, but the effect of egg consumption on blood cholesterol is minimal when compared with the effect of trans fats and saturated fats.

The risk of heart disease may be more closely tied to the foods that accompany the eggs in a traditional American breakfast — such as the sodium in the bacon, sausages and ham, and the saturated fat or oils with trans fats used to fry the eggs and the hash browns.

Most healthy people can eat up to seven eggs a week with no increase in their risk of heart disease. Some studies have shown that this level of egg consumption may actually prevent some types of strokes.

But the story is different for people who have diabetes. In this ever-growing population, eating seven eggs a week significantly increases the risk of heart disease.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, one large egg has about 186 mg milligrams (mg) of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, consume no more than 300 mg of cholesterol a day.

If you have diabetes, high cholesterol or heart disease, limit the daily cholesterol intake to no more than 200 mg a day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites.

Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, M.D.

21 Replies

• Most diabetics on LCHF, who eat eggs, have been eating 12-18 eggs a week for decades and everything that this author states is defied by their medical reports. Not only eggs (with Yolk of course) , even saturated fat from other sources like VCO, butter, cream, cheese etc. In fact, LIPIDS improve in such a diet and people have gone of Stain drugs also. Not one, but many.

Now, on to cholesterol theory. Dietary cholesterol has no relation with serum cholesterol. In fact, there are serious thoughts in American circles to DUMP the dietary cholesterol restriction in the U.S. itself.

LIPIDS gets bad because of High Carbs, and Saturated Fat is not the cause of CVD (proved again and again and again), but one man's (Ancel Keys) lie prevails.

Also, how many of these Mayo Studies are with 20% carbs, 60%+ Fats? Looks like these are all Rehash of the same lacing-the-pizza-bun-with-butter studies.

Eggs without Yolk is a useless food. Egg yolk is one of the best foods that any diabetic can take. Ask any diabetic on LCHF and who eats eggs. He/she will tell you how his/her lipids improved and drugs reduced besides great sugar control of course, despite taking in 3 times dietary cholesterol that what Mayo considers as safe.

A new born gets almost 5 - 6 times more cholesterol than what AMA subscribes for Adults. Let's learn from Mother Nature and not Mayo/ADA/AMA as Mother nature doesn't get sponsorships from drug or food companies, unlike ADA/AMA/Mayo/WHO etc.

Yes, problems start when baby starts getting fed with farex and all those ready-to-eat sugar loaded low fat crap.

• Eggs are good for diabetes ,specially if added to breakfast. Eggs have two clear portions ,yellow or yolk and white ie.egg white. Yolk consists mainly of cholesterol,while white portion is made up of lean protein,vitamins and saturated fats. So egg forms a complete food.

Many studies have found no connection between intake of dietary cholesterol and rise in blood cholesterol. Even ADA recommends upto 3 eggs per week for diabetics. Some studies in Finland has found that eggs taken (7) / per week lowers blood sugar levels. If taken more than that has no additional benefit.

But those diabetics who have already high cholesterol and lipid profile, high blood pressure and cardiac complication should eat eggs only in moderation and that also without using oil,ghee or butter . Boiled egg may be a good option.

• dear patliputra.,

it is a big confusion to go by research studies.

in my opinion it is better to listen to the advice of the large medical institutions.

for example the one below.

from the harvard school of medicine.

"The Bottom Line: Recommendations for Fat Intake

Although the different types of fat have a varied—and admittedly confusing—effect on health and disease, the basic message is simple: Out with the bad, in with the good. You can do this by choosing foods with healthy fats, limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, and avoiding trans fat. Here’s how to make it happen:

Eliminate trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils. Food labels should say “0” (zero) on the line for trans fat; also scan the ingredient list to make sure it does not contain partially hydrogenated oils (food labeling laws allow food makers to have up to 0.5 grams of trans fat in a product but still list “0” on the line for trans fats). Fortunately, most food manufacturers have removed trans fats from their products. In restaurants, steer clear of fried foods, biscuits, and other baked goods, unless you know that the restaurant has eliminated trans fat (many already have).

Limit your intake of saturated fats by cutting back on red meat and full-fat dairy foods. Try replacing red meat with beans, nuts, poultry, and fish whenever possible, and switching from whole milk and other full-fat dairy foods to lower fat versions, or just eating smaller amounts of full-fat dairy products, such as cheese. Don’t replace red meat with refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, potatoes, and the like).

In place of butter, use liquid vegetable oils rich in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, in cooking and at the table. Olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, corn oil, peanut oil, and the like are great sources of healthy fat.

Eat one or more good sources of omega-3 fats every day. Fish, walnuts, canola or soybean oil, ground flax seeds or flaxseed oil are excellent sources of omega-3 fats.

Avocado is a great source of healthy unsaturated fats. Try this recipe for guacamole from The Culinary Institute of America.

As you choose foods with healthy fat, and limit the amount of trans and saturated fats in your diet, keep in mind that replacing saturated fat with refined carbohydrates will not protect you against heart disease and may even raise your risk. But there is solid proof that replacing saturated fat with unsaturated fats will help lower your heart disease risk."

if you have time you may go through the entire article and find that they have assessed the pros and cons carefully.

as far as i have studied

the Harvard healthy eating plate does not make radical differences with the USDA my plate.[or even the European union eat well plate (UK).]

the fundamental point is to find out

if you are a responder to high fats by trial and error . otherwise eat the recommended food.

good luck.

• @Indiacratus-Hats off to you,sir.This, indeed, is a wonderful write up.Vindicates many of my beliefs but also clarified many concerns.Point to be underscored is,fats per say are not harmful,provided we know what kind of fats to eat and how much.One egg a day OK.Three eggs a day,NO.

• "Three eggs a day,NO."

Why? Any scientific evidence for a NO on LCHF diet?

For most diabetics on LCHF, 2 a day is NORMAL.

For high carbers it may be a NO.

• 50% of people above 60 years in USA have metabolic syndrome because of Harvard plate/USDA Pyramid. That's a failed diet.

Obesity has crept up by two times since 1980 ... almost the time when the so called healthy Diet was politically pushed in US Senate by Mc Govern committee, based on one flawed study by a man called Ancel Keys who brazenly rejected data from 15 countries and cherry picked only 7. All have failed.

15 out of 22 were rejected. What a scientific study it was!!!

So 15 out of 22 were "paradox" in his opinion.

How many are really healthy on the so called healthy diet if we count diabetes, obesity, cvd, chd, cancer? I guess no more than 20% population is healthy on the so called healthy diet. So that plate or pyramid is all useless. It has only made people SICK sot that drugs sell. Let's forget their science and look at numbers for a change.

• Indiacratus,thank you for the link. But several times in past I had gone through that article. And don't find it satisfactory. I have different opinion about fat,which is good or bad. Even when it is qualified that ,this or that fat is good or bad,we don't eat good or bad fat in isolation.So it is always a mix of good or bad.

Let us take an example,sunflower oil, all say it is good and healthy oil with so many health benefits. Now how many know that this refined oil,like all other refined oil is a processed oil,meaning a lot of chemicals has been added to it,which may be harmful.. Secondly, the moment it is reheated,it ,all of it turns into trans fat. I will not call it a healthy oil.

Canola oil, it belongs to rape seed family,same family as mustered oil. It is genetically modified to make it you believe GM oil,what ever health benefits,is beneficial. . ? Previously used in USA as lubricant.

It is a long discussion. To cut it short I will say that , there is multi decade gap between scientific knowledge and it's practical application.

• Safola, Canola and all those PUFA loaded oils are the worst oils. Ever since they have been pushed as "healthy" oils, thyroid problems have gone up.

• You are perfectly at liberty to hold an opinion on any subject.No problem with that.But your opinion flies totally against the prevailing medical practice in the country.What intrigues me is that,do you take similar views when confronted with other serious medical conditions such as old age problems,ladies medical problems etc.I am askīng this just for my clarification.Do your reservations extend all across the board concerning medical profession,pharma industry,institutions like WHO,ADA,AHA,MAYO etc.I have nothing against such views per se,but just to know where we stand.Good day.

• I am here talking about diabetes and more so LCHF diet and diabetes. For other issues there are other forums.

But, when it comes to talking about problems of diverse nature, who has LOOKED at the REAL Cause? They are just covering same diet with different drugs for different problems?

Well, as long as medical reports challenge the established norms, some one with clear conscience should have the courage to accept the truth, instead of quoting "established norms" again and again.

ADA/AMA/AHA (or its equivalent anywhere) definitely lacks that courage and in fact love "bullying" with their opinions based on some fudged studies, despite being challenged with details which puts their diet in wrong perspective. And, none of their followers are even mentally prepared to answer why medical reports improve on a diet which "They" say is BAD. If numbers improve, despite lower or nil drugs, then its bad for whom? The drug and Food industry?

Where's the proof that SFA causes CVD/CHD? All major studies have shown it doesn't.

Corruption is an established norm, but someone challenged it didn't they?

Can anyone at ADA/AMA/AHA/Mayo explain why 50% of people about 60 in America are with metabolic syndrome? No sedentary lifestyle and BMI talks please. It's boring and it has been shown by diabetics on LCHF that it is a failed concept.

• dear patliputra,

"Secondly, the moment it is reheated,it ,all of it turns into trans fat."

re heat means what ?

this doesn't look correct.

heating alters some molecular changes.

but what percentage of unsaturated fats convert to saturated.?

can you quote?to support the view that all oils turn transfats on heating. or reheating.

my knowledge is that any oil to change like that requires very high temperatures.not the usual cooking least, in boiling with a curry with water substantial changes cannot happen,.

coconut is 95 percent saturated. canola and sun flower are around 15.

so to reach the 95 percent is a long way to go.

.i have poor knowledge about this.

a trans fat is hydrogenated.where does the hydrogen come on heating an oil.

it may be able to convert to saturated fat by making a hydrogen saturation in the valency bonds with out new hydrogen added.

but what percentage?

gmo--canola oil.

first of all it is costly is used in western countries. i have not seen in Kerala.

my daughter uses it.

it does not have any taste.

people say it is good because of less contents of saturated fats.

i think it is universally used by westerners.

olive oil also expensive.

sunflower and sesame oil are only cheap or medium cheap oils i know.

genetic modifications are done in a controlled manner for a given purpose.they carefully breed plants to generate a new species.

gm by itself cannot be bad.

it is only some old belief that genetic modifications are bad in total.there may be other cases when gm produced harm-- no idea,.

you are better to comment..

sunflower oil refining with chemicals..--

left out chemicals can be checked.

but in the developing countries like ours., --

safety levels may be poor,..

no comments.

it looks nothing can be eaten with out fear.

good luck

• Dear Indiacratus, it is a big topic to discuss indivisual oils,so let talk some broad points. "Olive oil turns to trans fat when repeatedly re used and heated "

Researchers investigated processes of oxidative degradation of oils and fat at 70C.Studies have for the first time shown that degradation of lipids can produce toxic oxygenated aldehydes. These compounds are well known for their geno and cytotoxic activities, considered as markers of oxidative stress in cells as well as causal agents of degerarative illnesses.

science htm

The refined oil, they say are terrible for you because of of the usual harsh chemical solvents used during refining process. Once a oil reaches its smoke point it starts breaking down. When heated second time it's smoke point will be lower.

When oils and fats are exposed to high heat ( which is common in Indian cooking ) they can become damaged . This is particularly true of oils that are high in poly unsaturated fats, including most vegetable oils like soya bean,canola,sunflower etc,

In our homes, we never throw away left over cooking oil and use it repeatedly. We always cook at very high temp. Some times way beyond smoke point.

• dear patliputra,

this live strong weblink is agreeable to me though it does not tell who the auther is/;

but it is only asking as a doubt

"Does Overheating Olive Oil Turn it to Trans Fat? -"

more over it does not tell the percentage of change.

my knowledge is transfat is something obtained by adding hydrogen.

the source of hydrogen is not mentioned.

on the whole i would like to reject this.

the science daily

it does not talk of any transfats

this marks daily apple, . apple a day,

mercola , mendosa , flaunt .com etc are web sites i do not trust.

there of course some good articles are there.but they are people who entertain just opinions of some individual.

see for instance how much is the toxin formation or what percentage of oil turns saturated is not mentioned.and the temperatures also not given.

boiling is below 100 degrees centigrade.

frying has to be above 100 .

and everybody knows frying generates toxins.

so best thing avoid frying or deep frying..

i rarely take fried foods.

moreover my knowledge of what happens to an oil on heating is very to such small things as saturation means hydrogen saturation of the valency bonds.

as such i cannot explain any further.

these are just opinions of some persons and i am not in the habit of taking views by them accordingly.

in our present context the only solution is

consume a recommended oil and see if it disturbs the lipid profile individually ,, if so ,then reject it and try another and a different quantity.

there are many recommended oils.

good luck

• Merely saying don't trust sites doesn't server any purpose nor will it prevent masses from trusting them because their advises work far better. Some of the sites sites you have mentioned have over 3 million subscribers. Their followers also have brains and know how to read their medical reports.

Everyone who follows those sites know how USDA Food Pyramid ruined health. Only the food and drug lobby doesn't. It is the so called Healthy And Balanced Diet that is ruining health. Learn from mother's milk.

Nobody here says don't trust xyz who talk only AMA/ADA/AHA/Who/Mayo. Because, such statements are not a sign of mature discussion.

PUFA loaded oils are worst oils. Period.

• Useful information thanks

• so nice information, thank you guys.

• Egg is complete food for healthy life to the person diabetic and also non diabetic also .1 Cholesterol point there are so much different opinion about information Study goes on and researches may routine purpose.

2 However any item consumed to be limited which must be tolerated to our body and our resistance capacity .

3 I am not coming from vegitereian family I am not consuming the egg but nutritonal fact it is good

4 For diabetic it is too much good because it has very less carb similarily mutton and chicken

5 For heart problems BP patients may consult with Doctor for the quantity of consuming per day or week

6 Further recent information form 4 major hospitals heart patients of non vegiterians are more than vegiterians ( It was unfficialy noticed )

7 Further some of LCHF members may have no problems after adopted LCHF it may be possible some instant But no members may share their complete bloodsome of them members may share these details before adopting LCHF and after now, it is good information to the members

8 Further any members to share how much eggs and mutton chicken may consume daily basis ? It may also one of the points for this discussion.

• Thanks for information on consumption of egg for diabetic person and heart patients.

• very true ,eat only egg white daily

• Egg white inhibits the absorption of biotin if eaten alone. Lean protein is the fastest way to deplete our livers of vitamin A; always eat the fat that accompanies protein in nature.

• Well, LCHF diabetics who eat eggs eat 12-18 eggs a week, with YOLK of course and their medical reports prove that all this talk against SFA is nothing but high carb low fat and pharma industry sponsored rant.

You may also like...