Diabetes with SLE

My mom is about 65 years old and she is diabetic since 2005.

Intially she suffered from complications related to SLE in 2003 and was administered on a dosage of steroids to suppress the effects of SLE(lupus - auto immune disease).

doctors had warned though this steroid will prevent SLE symptoms it might be the cause of diabetes and other complications as she has to be on steroids lifelong.

she was also advised to gradually reduce the dosage of steroid until the point where she would feel reducing the dosage further would bring the SLE symptoms back.

Now after 12 years she is having issues with blood sugar level where the max blood sugar level after food is around 350 and min i.e fasting is coming down to 70.

she was advised by endocrinologist to take injectable Insulin - Humalog thrice a day with units such as 16-12-10.

few days back she started having frequent loose motions,loss of appetite,indigestion , weight loss & watery bowels which is not under control even after having antibiotics,digestive enzyme syrups,antacids.

please let me now in case you or any one you know has come across this kind of symptoms which re similar to gastroparesis .

15 Replies

• Very sad that your mother is facing such serious health problems.Unfortunately,her problems are such that you will hardly get any guidance from this forum.However,our best wishes are with her.

• Medical matters you need to discuss with a health professional.

Reduce her intake of legumes, fruit, grains, cereals, tubers and root vegetable to a cup or less each meal, and increase her natural fat intake a little. Make sure her medication doesn't make her hypoglycaemic.

• hi prat 123,

so sad that your mom is in trouble so.

but of all the many description queries,

i have read in this forum

this is the most perfect .congrats.

clear ,simple ,matter of fact , except for non expansion of SLE.

are you a teacher /lecturer.

i thought i am the only one who can be so clear and simple ----!!!

doctors had warned:

steroids necessary.

that has to be ,

otherwise more serious damage and death.

it is said in people with auto immune cases they are more prone to diabetes [i mean even with out the steroids diabetes would have heralded in her to some extent]]

"is around 350 and min i.e fasting is coming down to 70."

this shows that the same pattern as in type 1 .

beta cells getting reduced in numbers. but the liver regulation is ok and sufficient insulin -basal

humalog=lispro with units such as 16-12-10.

this again points to the same thing :humalog ,and not the other insulins.

only some pp sugar problem now.

don't worry.

it will subside .

if not ,

get her admitted to the hospital immediately.

so that they can intravenously re balance her blood of

electrolytes glucose etc==VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

do not wait for further deterioration and complications.

in the mean time give her ORS.

hope you know management of diarrhea.

otherwise let me know.

good luck

• i mean you can send me personal message

• Lupus as it is commonly known, as you have rightly said an autoimmune disease. It can affect any or many organs of body. Right now her digestive tract is affected. It is not gastroparesis.

Please put her under care of good doctor or hospitalise her in a good hospital, before it gets out of hand.take care.

Best wishes.

• dear patliputra,

you are right.

the diarrhea could be due to the lupus itself.

• I start with my best wishes to yr mom. I believe in possibility of positive energy. May be my suggestion would not give u satisfactory answer but I feel u can try ayurveda .with love to u ........arunima

• dear arunima,

you are right but conditions apply.some people falsely think of me as someone opposed to anything other than modern medicine.

no, it is not correct.

Ayurveda or any other medical practice which are generally called alternative medicine can be tried , where

modern medicine failed=is my attitude.

but if you have severe diarrhea never go to any one other than English doctor/ hospital where they give drips to combat loss of fluids and electrolytes,sodium ,potassium--- otherwise pass out then possible death.

but see that the supervision of the modern medicine doctor is retained.

most Ayurveda physicians know in which context

it is best workable. though cheap doctors will keep you attached to them though they know -it will not work.

such people are everywhere there in all walks of life . English medicine included..

good luck

• Sir, yes I in do agree with you. U r absolutely correct. But I feel pain when i hear someone suffering from and almost my age. I had to go through this type of situation,although not so severe, and ayurveda helped me and hence I said.One thing is sure here people (friends ) r so helpful and ready to share their experiences. I thank each and every friend of mine .god bless u all.

• dear arunima,

you have misunderstood me.

it is not a case of ayurveda or modern medicine .

it is a case of what disease you have.?

i will give an instance.

my sister in law had some pain on her back side.

those family people are such that ---dont care hospitals.

they applied medicated oil and went on.

later then one day her daughter

found out blood in the commode .

rush to the hospital----

uterus cancer--

doctors telling ---

no hope.

too late for surgical removal because ---

cancer already spreading to the kidney.

we try radiation only.

luck or hard luck.. let her fate decide.....

let me not discuss the aftermath.

what will you tell about this.

another incident

my sister had a redness in the eye.

my father was a man of the herbal type of man---

trying some green leaf extract pouring into the

disease progressed to great level.

by the time i rushed from my distant work place took the girl to a great eye hospital..

doctors telling--late !

no antibiotics are working---

then a young doctor sugested a new anti biotic not available in india.

luckily we had

people in england

they air lifted that latest medicine.

the poor girls' tthree /four months torture over in a weeks time.

so my policy

go to the english medicne dotor first

let him decide with his x-ray ,echo, mri, micro biology culture and many tests to decide what it is .

the DIAGnosis.

if the case is such that nothing is available in modern medicine -

then try herbal, alternate medicine or home remedies.

good luck.

• Dear indiacratus,

I have not misunderstood you sir. Probably I have not understood the depth of disease. I say from the core of my heart. Myself mother of a daughter who has lost her child when she was 29.We couldn't do anything to bring her back with famous hospitals in india. Please know I am trying hard to find myself as friend amongst you all. With best regards. Arunima

• thanks arunima.

you have understood me.

there are many cases,

medicine can do nothing.

quite often our deeds in the right direction may be wrong. yet we have to follow the right direction.i will not elaborate as i am a philosopher.wisdom is post facto.

philosophers often are a bore to others.

i will tell you an incident.

i was in the kitchen talking to my wife many many things, my philosophy of religion, ethics science, politics and mathematics, and so on.

My daughter

Came from the study room and told her :

Mom, have you gone mad? Listening to all this.

My wife replied:

What are we to lose my child?

I like seeing him talking!!![‘seeing’]

Sorry ,arunima you cannot see me.

Good luck

• Arunima,

It is indeed sad . With best regards

• Thanks all for your response and your advice .

we are consulting a gastroenterologist and planning to visit him as well as the endocrinologist this coming week.

And meanwhile to keep herself hydrated she is having fluids with ORS.

• Her fasting sugar at 70 is actually great.

You never check blood sugar shortly after eating. You check it 2 hours post of eating. In a normal person after 2 hours of eating your sugar level in a normal person would fall between 80 & 120.

A person with insulin resistance would be above 140. Also any reading over 140 after eating at anytime post meal is likely prediabetic... but her fasting 70 number is a good sign.

You should have your mom get her carbohydrates down to 50 grams or less per day. Replace carbohydrate and sugars with increased fats. Moderate protein eating no more than 20% more than you would normally eat. Suppliment with vitamin C as it will help reduce inflammatory issues often associated with diabetes or metabolic syndromes.

She may need more salt in her diet if she tries the high fat low carbohydrate diet as it tends to initially increase urination. The added salts helps maintain fluids and potassium levels.

Also some gastrointestional issues may occur as she adjusts to this diet. Just stay hydrated, expect some withdraw pains as you move from burning sugars to burning fats for energy.

Google ketogenic diet and begin the process of learning how high carbohydrates and sugars are killing us. You must break this cycle.

I'm 12 weeks ketogenic have eliminated all insulins and oral sugar medicines simply eating a high fat diet... I've eliminated over 500 shots using food as my medicine.

You may also like...