How to recognise Alzheimer's disease ,if some one in family or friend is suffering ?

The world population is getting older now. People over 65 years who are at present 12.9% of population , is expected to grow to be 19% by 2030.

An inescapable fate of growing old is the gradual slowing of cognitive and mental capacities. But AD ( Alzheimer's disease ) is not normal ageing. It is a type of dementia which develop due to certain changes in brain.

The most common symptom of AD is difficulty remembering things. In normal ageing people do forget things but typically remember it later on. But in AD that does not happen. If one forgets ,he forgets it, and even if reminded about it,he seems not familiar with it.

Forgetting to pay monthly bills is normal for aged, but forgetting how to pay and where to pay is a symptom of AD.

Going to a friend or relatives house for many years and now not sure how to get there or come back from there is AD.

AD has trouble in managing conversation,stopping midway and repeating same thing again and again. Misplacing things and later on failing to recognise it.

Trouble with visual perception ,if no cataract, and trouble in determining the height of a stair or balance on an uneven ground.

If we are able to recognise these symtoms in any person and immediately take him/her to a competent doctor, it might be of great help to the sufferer.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

livescience.com/35643-alzhe...

Last edited by

24 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It is not a research paper . Symptoms mentioned in the article are very common in people with old age. Article is just an attempt to make people aware that those symptoms may not be age related, it may be due to AD. Earlier the treatment,better for the sufferer.

• Indiacratus, i purposely avoided going into treatment detail. Anyway thanks for guiding.

• Thanks for updating about the early detection of AD. I have seen two of patients in their early days of ADs, but their family members did not take it seriously and were making fun of patients. Had they been aware of the symptoms, they would have been detected in their early stage and proper medications could have saved them. This may happen with anyone after the age of 65 yrs. The way, this disease is spreading with fastest of 1/2 % of total population. In other words, if we look into India's perspective, then out of 130 Crores population of our Nation, nearly 65 Lakhs people are added to the existing ADs patients every year. We along with our Govt. must do to save our aged people out of this menia.

• Thanks for very perceptive reply. Just wished and hoped there were a few more like you.

• Thanks for encouragement.

• AD is such an important issue, there is practically no awareness . Diabetics are 50-65% more prone to develop AD. Till now it is untreatable, progressive disease ,whose even progress can not be delayed or arrested by any means. The only,salvation lies in early recognition and understanding the consequences of progression of disease,so as to at least give a decent life to sufferer. Otherwise these cases are treated as insanity and patient is subjected to innumerable indignities .

Are we ready to discuss it in a little more detail ? Please understand , it is NOT age related dementia or memory loss. It is much more sinister.

• Keep sugar levels same as that of non diabetic and chances are greatly reduced. Don't aim for ADA numbers. Those relaxed numbers is the main reason for diabetics being prone to everything and these experts just let it pass as something which a diabetic is supposed to live with. This is why we don't believe in ADA/AMA/AHA diet.

• Indiacratus, let everybody be very clear that exact cause of AD is still not known . At the same time even if diabetes is fully under control ,it does not either prevent or delay the progression of AD.

Diabetics are 50-65% more liable to develop AD than non diabetics.

We are here talking about AD in Indian perspective, where we do not have neither infrastructure or trained personnel to take care of advanced cases of AD. Not even trained medical professionals to diagnose early cases. Problem is very serious and not to be taken lightly .

• "Diabetics are 50-65% more liable to develop AD than non diabetics."

Because of ADA's relaxed numbers. That's the main reason for Diabetics being prone to every complication including mental. Dr Bernstein also hates ADA's separate limits for diabetics.

it's the same high sugar which causes issues with brain. Get the A1C down to non diabetics range and probability reduces. 50%--65% more is just stating a fact without accepting their own fault.

• Searching for old posts, came across this one on same subject

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

• Irrelevant post.. Dr. Mercola's quote , one should read his article and not headlines. People here always twist and mis quote. So sorry state of affairs.

• I went thru the comments section on that article, and found this interesting comment from a registered visitor:

"I think it's fascinating that yet another disease (in this case Alzheimer's) has been caused by the high-carb low-fat craziness of the last 30 years. Perhaps that is a sweeping generalization, but one can't help but notice the timing. We never heard of Alzheimer's to this extent many years ago. Suddenly, it has reached epidemic proportions, along with Type 2 diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol, and cancer. This can't be a coincidence. All this "healthy" eating and convenience has resulted in a very sick nation."

Out of the major portion of 179 comments that I read, it turned out to be quite informative as many of them were from well read people who gathered information from varying sources.

Was glad to find even Dr Ron Rosedale participating in comments section. So enlightening ... He even mentioned why GI is of little importance in one of his comments!!!

In 2009, Dr Mercola was voted top Ultimate Wellness Game Changer by the Huffington Post. In that year, 1.7 million votes were casted by HP readers in different categories.

Dr Mercola was a PAID speaker for drug companies during early part of his career. Only when he dropped doing that and started exposing the evils of drug centric approach he became evil for FDA and others :)

As for recognizing Alzhiemer (if that was the primary focus of the post), some one on this thread said:

"Alzheimer's disease can be diagnosed with complete accuracy only after death"

• No one has ever said,including Dr Mercola, that high carb diet causes AD. As a matter of fact, cause of AD is yet to be ascertained and all the changes in the brain ,are cause or effect can not be said

Lchf ,as a preventive or modifying AD ,no research paper has said. Some have

Pointed out indivisual macro and micro nutrients which may help delaying and improving the quality of life of AD.

• In continuation of above,researchers talk about role of anti oxidants, vit E, C etc. But no one is sure anything, so they talk about nutritive diet,though they will not prescribe or suggest any specifics.

• Sir, even the best surgeon isn't sure if the patient will return back alive on the OT. That's why we have to sign our own warrant, absolving them of all responsibilities if things go bad. This is the beauty of medical science. They accuse everything and everyone but themselves :)

That said, antioxidants will do good in general.

Why do you think Asian/Indians have lower AD? They are trying to find some chemical in turmeric which can be then modified in lab, given a high flying name and sold for $40 (or maybe $100) a pill as AD is debilitating.

So far, they are just speculating on the link between higher turmeric consumption and lower AD in Indians/Asians. That's why you see i don't believe in ADA/AMA/AHA when it comes to diet. Yes, "experts" will say oh turmeric (or the chemical in it) cannot cross blood brain barrier so it is useless. Obviously it is useless when it cannot be patented.

• When one volunteers he has to accept the risk. Even on train tickets is written that ticket holder is responsible for its own luggage. Nothing unusual.

• Not a valid comparison. Better example would be if one volunteers to travel by flight and airline crashes, family gets paid. Why flight, even train accident deaths, the survivors get paid. Out here family pays to even get the dead body out.

• If it's diabetes of brain, as you mentioned in your other post, it ought to be glucose (or insulin) related in layman terms. I mean that's how it adds up logically.

That said, in Mercola article if you move down, it talks of "ketones" fueling brain. I don't think one can be in "Ketosis" on a non LCHF diet and in fact it is a stricter sub-class of LCHF that has to be adhered to - CARBS < 50 grams/day and maintaining a proper ketogenic/anti-ketogenic ratio (and protein is anti ketogenic).

"It may even restore and renew neuron and nerve function in your brain after damage has set in. In fact, ketones appear to be the preferred source of brain food in patients affected by diabetes or Alzheimer's. "

So, he may not have said it in as many words "LCHF", but interpretation of that para leads me to that. He has also talked of residual insulin levels at fasting. Low Protein, Low carb is in title because of this "ketogenic ratio" and FAT is the only thing that can replace both LOW's, so LCHF is understood.

Dr Mary Newport has done experiments on her AD husband and has details posted, which sort of corroborates on what Mercola says - "it may even restore and renew neuron and nerve function in your brain after damage has set in."

So, focus has to be on how to avoid AD, and common sense tells me it has to be related to sugar as far as diabetes AD link goes. Risks are high because most feel happy keeping A1C 6.5 or 7. For me, anything above 5.6 is bad.

• Generally I avoid talking about pathophysiology, as it beyond the scope of the forum. But as you have raised the question of glucose (insulin ) vis a vis AD , I am forced to write a few things.

There is strong clinical evidence that supports the inter connection between AD and diabetes. The key features in both are inflammation,altered metabolism and insulin resistance. For a long time it was considered that brain was insensitive to insulin,but now it is very much accepted that insulin has central role in neuromodulatory functions,including learning and memory,that are impaired in AD. How insulin functions in brain ? Not for this forum.

• I am always authentic.

• Not sure why you made that comment. Did i say you were fake?

• Your use of word "FAKE", make me smile.😀

• Well, even I smiled when someone here who is 80+ by age called me FAKE and my posts as nonsense today, just because i did not answer one post from someone else for 18 hrs :)

You may also like...