EVEN AFTER CARFULLY FOLLOWING LCHF VEGETARIAN DIET, MY FASTING SUGAR NOT GOING BELOW 100. CAN SOMEBODY SUGGEST WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DIET?

Let me introduce myself. I am diabetic since 4 years. My hab1c is 6.5 last month. Fasting sugar between 100 to 120 and Post sugar around 120 always. I am taking metformin 500 SR in the morning and metformin 1000 SR in the evening.

MY VEGETARIAN LCHF DIET(no eggs no meat)breakfast /lunch and Dinner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chana dal/green moong one chila(dosa)

Salad with sprouted mahti etc.

Any legumes subji(Dinner replaced by NUTRILA SOYA subji because of extreme hunger)

Big bowl of boiled vegetables or green subji with grated coconut and flex seed powder.

(All cooked in coconut oil)

IN BETWEEN I TAKE

Plenty of green tea

Paneer with fresh coconut

Apple cedar vinegar

4 walnuts and 5 badam

Karela juice.

I even increased the metformin dose 500mg to 1000mg in the night still no effect. Please somebody high light me where I gone wrong in my diet?

Last edited by

36 Replies

oldestnewest
  • To me,it seems that you are quite well.No need to be unduly concerned.

• According to the latest research shows that if fasting not less than 85 it can lead to diabetic complications.

Please see the web site bloodsugar101.com

• Food is not the only thing which increases BS. Your thoughts and peace if mind also has profound effect on your BS. Try exercise every day. Identify food by process of elimination, which could increase your blood sugar. Have sex or mastrubate, that will brinv peace and relaxation. There is no single remrdy which will work. Medicine dose should only be increased if everytjing else fails.

• By god's grace i have peace of mind and relaxation. I do 2 hours of walking and weight training. still my fasting not under control.

• Hi atma, Your meal plan seems ok.A few suggestions. Try to include olive oil dressing for salad and whole milk yogurt ( one day old as Medfree suggests ) and unstrained vegetable soup with 1tsp of ghee or butter in your diet which will reduce hunger pangs .Count your carb, protein and fat to adjust the meal plan such that 60% (min) of food calories come from fat and 20% ( max) from carbs .

High fasting number is due to dawn phenomenon. .I too have the same problem of dawn phenomenon but my post meal numbers are good , Some times below 100 .Try taking some bed time snack which is supposed to reduce the dawn effect..Post your trial and effect for the benefit of every one in this Forum..All the best !

• Thanks, I will add one day old yogurt and olive oil in my diet. I am afraid to take ghee because one time it increased my BP, but I am taking lot of freshly made panner.

• Lot of paneer is lot of protein. On low carb, protein is converted to sugar which is converted to glycogen for storing in liver which liver dumps later. Hepatic insulin resistance makes this worse. Liver will need glycogen stores to be filled as a defense mechanism. Only way liver dump can be avoided is a ketogenic diet but that's a difficult diet to follow.

Butter is harmless, so is saturated FAT for people who follow LCHF diet, unless of course you already have some cardiac problem. Coconut oil is best oil on planet earth.

• How many grammes of carbohydrate do you have at each meal?

• I will buy a weighting mechine may be this week to find out. But I take medium bowl of above mentioned items.

• Great. Now next step after you get the kitchen digital weighing scale (max capacity 5Kg) will be compute carbs for each item that you eat. You can find details from fatsecret.com/

As a thumb-rule, all grains have around 65% carbs on an average.

• Not meaning to be too critical; how carefully can you follow LCHF without knowing how much carbohydrate you're eating?

• Why you are getting unnecessarily worried you are doing fine Please do not increase the medicines withour physician knowledge.It will create complications.

• You have given a big list of your food, nothing about physical exercise,Do some exercise that will suffice.your BS levels not alarming.

• I do two hour walking and 15 minutes of weight training plus some breathing exercise like bramari.

• I have read that once diabetics know when they dump, they get up before that and walk. No need to jog or run. Just normal walking will be enough. I don't even walk now since over 10 months and i have never gone through liver dumps. A diabetic since 2011 with starting PPBS of 229/200 on two weekly tests. Now i live LOW CARB HIGH Faat lifestyle where my day begins with a cup of black coffee with 1 TBSP Coconut oil. I will be increasing coconut oil to 3 TBSP/day gradually once my consignment arrives. I eat 100grams nuts/day (no cashew no pista) to increase fat intake. I eat butter, cheese liberally. I also eat 12 eggs/week (with yolk of course) mostly as omelet in breakfast.

But, if one cannot cut down carbs, then never go on High fat diet.

• I have a general question.

At what time,Medicines prescribed for diabetic person should be taken?..i mean just before one start taking food,15 minutes before one start taking food or just after one start taking food....or else?..what is the relevance or reason of taking medicine at that particular time ?... e.g.I read somewhere that if medicines are taken 15 minutes prior to you start taking food, then they are better absorbed on empty stomach..and give better results..Any .other opinions please....

• MF (Metformin) on empty stomach will give you a feeling of war going on in your tummy. Eat something before taking MF.

Sulphonylurea are best taken before meals.

YMMV

• In addition to @medfree's reply, would like to add;

Medicines which are taken before BF / meals ( like Insulin, sulfonyl ureas ) - It is usually advised to take them after the first bite.

One of the reason being, these are very fast acting & if just after taking the medicine, one gets a phone call or discovers that the breakfast is not ready or decides to attend natures call, etc, one might end up with severe / fatal hypoglycemia ( low sugar ).

This is particularly true for many people as they grow old & become more absent-minded. Perhaps attributing absent-mindedness to old people is wrong, as day by day, I find the younger generation to be more absentminded. :-D

Thanks

• Younger generation is lost in FB status updates :)

• Include 'quaker oats 'in your diet for breakfast daily ( only water, no milk pl) 6 table spoon , with a dash of pure honey for taste ! My sugar , since last 10 yrs ...has reduced drastically when I recently switched over to quaker oats diet , (when suggested by my diabetic friend , which has also worked well for him !! ),.... My fasting reduced from 170 to 83 & PP from 240-60 to 140. Of course have ur regular medicines too... stress is the main killer, hence excercise / have brisk walk daily + do brahmari ( for stress)...your mind shud be in a state of 'thoughtlessess ' while excercising early morng & not think of your daily chores /work...( very imp) & also do kapalbhatti daily !

• GeorgMinz: Did you take medicines along with Quaker Oats? (Why do you give sole credit to oats?)

• Sorry, 'thoughtlessness' state of mind ...half-close your eyes while excercising / walking in familiar areas...can even be done within your living room!

• Hi, only diet is not sufficient... you should take ganoderma , which will kill the side effect of tablet and will increase your immune system....there is very good result many people got... ganoderma is king of herb... and NO SIDE EFFECT..you must try and experience the result ....

• Sugar control is all about Diet Control ... more specifically CARBS intake Control.

• I used to eat 6 roti in the night still after 2 hours too much hunger and no sleep. then my friend suggested to stop eating roti then my hunger subsided. From that point onward I got belief in the low carb diet. As a pure vegetarian it is very difficult still I am trying hard to follow lchf diet.

• (1) Add 100grams Nuts/day for snacks. This will get you roughly 570kcal with 70%+ coming from Fat.

(2) Take non strained vegetable soup (no beet, very less carrot, less beans) and add a dollop of butter to it.

(3) Eat lots of vegetables. Use virgin coconut oil for cooking.

(4) Take one cup black coffee with 1TBSP virgin coconut oil added. No milk, no sweetener.

If you can live life without wheat and rice that would be great. If not maybe add 1 light chapati lunch and dinner. Use desi ghee, butter on chapati.

Soon as you get accustomed to fat loaded diet you will find hunger pangs completely gone. on Low carb diet Fat is not bad.

• Any type of Ganoderma? [ Ganoderma is a genus of polypore mushrooms which grow on wood, and include about 80 species, many from tropical regions.[1] Because of their extensive use in traditional Asian medicines, and their potential in bioremediation, they are a very important genus economically. Ganoderma can be differentiated from other polypores because they have a double walled basidiospore. They are popularly referred to as shelf mushrooms or bracket fungi.]

• TAKE 15 ML ALOE VERA JUICE AT BED TIME IN NIGHT. SEE THE RESULT

• Hi-U can follow the following course of action for controlling ur Diabeties-

A.Kindly understand that all of us are having the sugar in our body. The question is only that in our body it goes beyond the reasonable limits and that is why it starts giving problem. Further sugar levels going below the prescribed levels are equally not good. Therefore, cure is to keep it in within the reasonable limits. Once it has come within reasonable limits, our job is to keep and maintain it in within reasonable limits and that we can do without the help of medicines and by following the following course of action.

B.Kindly understand that our Blood Sugar level deviates from the reasonable acceptable limits, as we have restricted ourselves to our house/office and going away from nature. It happens due to lack/shortage of Oxygen in our body. In summer season, we prefer to apply Air-conditioners/Desert Coolers and in Winter Season, we prefer to apply Electric heaters etc, instead of taking fresh air from the nature/wearing warm clothes. So the solution is to minimize the use of these products and have oxygen/fresh air from the natural resources.

C. Kindly understand that we are having the habit of eating those fruits/vegetables & other items which suit to our taste and do not prefer to eat those items which are not according to our taste. Here the advice is to involve all permissible foods/vegetable/ dairy products & other eatables as part of our daily eating habits. Kindly understand that Diabeties interfers in our life, because of our focus on some specific eatables and ignorance towards the other valuble eatables required by our body. Here the cure is to have all permissible eatables are part of our daily routine. (Balance of Carbohydrates/vitamins/proteins & Minerals).

D.Kindly further understand that in present days, we need to involve light Physical Exercise/Yoga and Meditation as an integral part of our daily routine. Further we need to avoid unnecessary mental stress.

E.Further note that the digestion of food had of us is also equally important. Kindly eat less than what is desired by the stomach so that it can easily be digested. Have the food again after some time and allow it to digest properly.

F.Kindly understand that Diabeties cannot be controlled merely by taking medicines as it is disorder of our eating habits and that of daily routine-the way of living. If we depend only on medicine then after sometime, the medicines may stop working and supporting our body.

1. Get up early in the morning, before the sun rises and go on terrace and do the exercise of INHALE & EXHALE of oxygen, just for 20 minutes.

2. Go for a normal work, morning and evening, 30 minutes, each time.

3. Take a glass of hot water (As hot as tea), 15 minutes after Lunch & Dinner and it will wash out the sugar so created by the food so consumed.

4. After 30 minutes of lunch, take a teaspoon of powder of Dry Awla (Goosberry) and Saunf (Aniseed) (both in equal quantity) with normal water. Both Awla/Amla and Aniseed are available either at the shops of dryfruits or where the spices are available.

5. If you want to take Rice, as part of food, take it after taking out the water from Rice or preferably take Brown Rice.

6. If you want to take Potato, as part of Vegetable, always take boiled potatos and take it in liquid form and not in dry form.

7. Take Chapati, prepared of wheat combining of -Wheat Flour, Black Gram and Barley-All in equal quantities. Black Gram will support the function of heart and Barley will clean up and strength the kidney functions. (Reduce the ratio if the chapatti becomes hard to eat).

8. Use of Refined Flour (Maida) should be restricted as far as possible, as it is highly contributory factor in increase of Diabeties. Therefore, the items made of Refined Flour such as normal bread, PAAO, Pizzabase, Samosa, Bhature etc should be avoided as far as possible. However, Brown Bread can be taken.

9. Take Fruit and Vegetable Salad, as integral part of food, without pouring Salt and Chat Masala or any other spice on it, at the time of Lunch & Dinner.

10. Take Sprouts and Milk Products as integral part of daily food. Milk Products includes Double Toned Milk-Low Fat Milk, Curd, Buttermilk and Paneer.

11. Mix up 1/4th teaspoon of Haldi Powder (Turmeric powder) in winters and reduce it to one pinch in summer season (Yellow in color) with a glass of hot milk, without sugar and have it 30 minutes before going to bed. It will purify the blood in the body and also eliminates every type of pains and weaknesses in the body and further strength the body. It will also not allow any type of cancer in the body and also will not allow the stage of knee replacement even at any stage of ur life.

12. Avoid taking vegetables like Pototaos, Sweet Potatos, Carrot etc. having the sweet contents and fruits like, sugarcane, Mango, oranges, Bannanna, grapes etc.

13. You can have vegetables like Cauliflower, Cabbage, Methi (Fenugreek Leaves), Palak, Raddish, Lady Finger, Tinda, Brinjal etc.

14. You can have fruits like, Gowua, Apple, Pomigrantte, Watermelon(with black pepper and sendha salt), Pappaya etc.

15. Take the leafts of Raddish and have it in raw form as part of salad.

16. During Summer Season, always take Buttermilk-salted one, as part of food. It will improve digestive system and reduce the overburdening of Liver function.

17. Avoid taking normal tea & Coffee. Always take Green Tea.

18. Avoid taking Oily and more salty food. Reduce the consumption of oil, butter, Ghee and always consume easily digestable food.

19. Take one Karela (Bitter Melon/Bitter Gourd/Bitter Squash) and four Tomatos, make a juice of them and have it twice a day.

20. Always go for medical tests of brain, heart, liver, kidney and eyes, once in a year. For Blood Sugar, always go for HB1C and Sugar PP-every three months, in order to observe the developments. Also go for checking the numbness of the feet and take soft brush for cleaning the teeth.

21. Always take the restricted food, as mentioned above, in reasonable quantity, at least once in a week, so that inner system of the body will remain conversant with the restricted items also.

22. Change in life style and eating habbits is equally important to medicine. If we depend only on medicines and will not change our life style and eating habbits, then after sometime, medicine may stop working.

23. Change in Life Style also includes taking Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner at fixed time, Getting up early in the morning, going to bed maximum by 10 PM at night, Have a sound sleep of at least 6-8 hours a day, do not go for sleep during the day time.

24. For improving the strength in the body, Five Almonds and Five Wallnuts should be consumed. However, Cashewnuts and Raisin (Kismish) should be avoided. Further all Five types of MAGAJ are equally beneficial.(Available on the shops, where Dry Fruits are sold).

25. For Sexual & Urinary disorders, soak one teaspoon of Methi Dana in one glass of normal water, for overnight. In the morning, take out Methi Dana and consume the water, empty stomach.

26. For clearing the blockages of nerves in the entire body, take 20 gms of Garlic, cut it into smaller pieces. Boil the garlic in one glass of hot milk with one glass of water. Boil it till the point it remains only one glass of milk. Strain it and have such milk in the morning, empty stomach. Kindly remember that u should not consume anything (not even water) for next one hour. This will also clear the blockage of nerves and will also remove every type of pain in the body, caused due to blockage or other deficiency in nerves of the body.

• Hi-U can follow the following course of action for controlling ur Diabeties-

A.Kindly understand that all of us are having the sugar in our body. The question is only that in our body it goes beyond the reasonable limits and that is why it starts giving problem. Further sugar levels going below the prescribed levels are equally not good. Therefore, cure is to keep it in within the reasonable limits. Once it has come within reasonable limits, our job is to keep and maintain it in within reasonable limits and that we can do without the help of medicines and by following the following course of action.

B.Kindly understand that our Blood Sugar level deviates from the reasonable acceptable limits, as we have restricted ourselves to our house/office and going away from nature. It happens due to lack/shortage of Oxygen in our body. In summer season, we prefer to apply Air-conditioners/Desert Coolers and in Winter Season, we prefer to apply Electric heaters etc, instead of taking fresh air from the nature/wearing warm clothes. So the solution is to minimize the use of these products and have oxygen/fresh air from the natural resources. This theory diverts attention from the real issue which is carbohydrate control.

C. Kindly understand that we are having the habit of eating those fruits/vegetables & other items which suit to our taste and do not prefer to eat those items which are not according to our taste. Here the advice is to involve all permissible foods/vegetable/ dairy products & other eatables as part of our daily eating habits. Kindly understand that Diabeties interfers in our life, because of our focus on some specific eatables and ignorance towards the other valuble eatables required by our body. Here the cure is to have all permissible eatables are part of our daily routine. (Balance of Carbohydrates/vitamins/proteins & Minerals).

D.Kindly further understand that in present days, we need to involve light Physical Exercise/Yoga and Meditation as an integral part of our daily routine. Further we need to avoid unnecessary mental stress.

E.Further note that the digestion of food had of us is also equally important. Kindly eat less than what is desired by the stomach so that it can easily be digested. Have the food again after some time and allow it to digest properly. This suggests that your stomach wants to be over-filled; it doesn’t when you eat the correct balance of proteins, fats, and low Gi carbohydrates.

F.Kindly understand that Diabeties cannot be controlled merely by taking medicines as it is disorder of our eating habits and that of daily routine-the way of living. If we depend only on medicine then after sometime, the medicines may stop working and supporting our body.

1. Get up early in the morning, before the sun rises and go on terrace and do the exercise of INHALE & EXHALE of oxygen, just for 20 minutes. Daylight is good for circadian rhythm. Exercise is necessary to improve/maintain cardio-respiratory function.

2. Go for a normal work, morning and evening, 30 minutes, each time. Work or walk? Superfluous activity builds up an appetite for more energy.

3. Take a glass of hot water (As hot as tea), 15 minutes after Lunch & Dinner and it will wash out the sugar so created by the food so consumed. Diabetics usually have a raging thirst and urinate frequently; it doesn’t help to manage the condition effectively

4. After 30 minutes of lunch, take a teaspoon of powder of Dry Awla (Goosberry) and Saunf (Aniseed) (both in equal quantity) with normal water. Both Awla/Amla and Aniseed are available either at the shops of dryfruits or where the spices are available. Are you trying to sell these? It doesn’t directly address the problem of regulating carbohydrate intake and metabolism.

5. If you want to take Rice, as part of food, take it after taking out the water from Rice or preferably take Brown Rice. You still have to regulate the amount.

6. If you want to take Potato, as part of Vegetable, always take boiled potatos and take it in liquid form and not in dry form. Mashed potato is still a high-glycaemic food that will turn to glucose in your body faster than table sugar.

7. Take Chapati, prepared of wheat combining of -Wheat Flour, Black Gram and Barley-All in equal quantities. Black Gram will support the function of heart and Barley will clean up and strength the kidney functions. (Reduce the ratio if the chapatti becomes hard to eat). You still have to watch the amount; these are high carbohydrate foods.

8. Use of Refined Flour (Maida) should be restricted as far as possible, as it is highly contributory factor in increase of Diabeties. Therefore, the items made of Refined Flour such as normal bread, PAAO, Pizzabase, Samosa, Bhature etc should be avoided as far as possible. However, Brown Bread can be taken.

9. Take Fruit and Vegetable Salad, as integral part of food, without pouring Salt and Chat Masala or any other spice on it, at the time of Lunch & Dinner. Fruit tends to be higher in carbohydrate, especially fructose, than vegetables. You need to limit the amount of fruit you eat.

10. Take Sprouts and Milk Products as integral part of daily food. Milk Products includes Double Toned Milk-Low Fat Milk, Curd, Buttermilk and Paneer. Curd causes excess insulin release that contributes to insulin resistance problems, that progresses to diabetes. Low-fat foods disrupt the body’s innate appetite control. You still have to control how much of any food that contains carbohydrate you have.

11. Mix up 1/4th teaspoon of Haldi Powder (Turmeric powder) in winters and reduce it to one pinch in summer season (Yellow in color) with a glass of hot milk, without sugar and have it 30 minutes before going to bed. It will purify the blood in the body and also eliminates every type of pains and weaknesses in the body and further strength the body. It will also not allow any type of cancer in the body and also will not allow the stage of knee replacement even at any stage of ur life. An overstatement of the effectiveness of turmeric.

12. Avoid taking vegetables like Pototaos, Sweet Potatos, Carrot etc. having the sweet contents and fruits like, sugarcane, Mango, oranges, Bannanna, grapes etc. Minimise your fructose intake, though you can have some fruit provided you regulate your carb intake at each meal.

13. You can have vegetables like Cauliflower, Cabbage, Methi (Fenugreek Leaves), Palak, Raddish, Lady Finger, Tinda, Brinjal etc.

14. You can have fruits like, Gowua, Apple, Pomigrantte, Watermelon(with black pepper and sendha salt), Pappaya etc. Minimise your fructose intake, though you can have some fruit provided you regulate your carb intake at each meal.

15. Take the leafts of Raddish and have it in raw form as part of salad.

16. During Summer Season, always take Buttermilk-salted one, as part of food. It will improve digestive system and reduce the overburdening of Liver function. This appears to be another superfluous activity that doesn’t address the primary issue of regulating carbohydrate intake and metabolism; what is the evidence for its effectiveness?

17. Avoid taking normal tea & Coffee. Always take Green Tea.

18. Avoid taking Oily and more salty food. Reduce the consumption of oil, butter, Ghee and always consume easily digestable food. Some fat is necessary for fat soluble vitamins, but don’t confuse processed, refined oils with natural fats.

19. Take one Karela (Bitter Melon/Bitter Gourd/Bitter Squash) and four Tomatos, make a juice of them and have it twice a day. Why?

20. Always go for medical tests of brain, heart, liver, kidney and eyes, once in a year. For Blood Sugar, always go for HB1C and Sugar PP-every three months, in order to observe the developments. Also go for checking the numbness of the feet and take soft brush for cleaning the teeth.

21. Always take the restricted food, as mentioned above, in reasonable quantity, at least once in a week, so that inner system of the body will remain conversant with the restricted items also. Why do you want to remain conversant with restricted foods?

22. Change in life style and eating habbits is equally important to medicine. If we depend only on medicines and will not change our life style and eating habbits, then after sometime, medicine may stop working.

23. Change in Life Style also includes taking Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner at fixed time, Getting up early in the morning, going to bed maximum by 10 PM at night, Have a sound sleep of at least 6-8 hours a day, do not go for sleep during the day time.

24. For improving the strength in the body, Five Almonds and Five Wallnuts should be consumed strength is developed as a response to high intensity exercise. However, Cashewnuts and Raisin (Kismish) should be avoided. Why? Further all Five types of MAGAJ are equally beneficial.(Available on the shops, where Dry Fruits are sold). Minimise your fructose intake, though you can have some fruit provided you regulate your carb intake at each meal.

25. For Sexual & Urinary disorders, soak one teaspoon of Methi Dana in one glass of normal water, for overnight. In the morning, take out Methi Dana and consume the water, empty stomach. This doesn’t address the primary issue of regulating carbohydrate intake and metabolism.

26. For clearing the blockages of nerves in the entire body, take 20 gms of Garlic, cut it into smaller pieces. Boil the garlic in one glass of hot milk with one glass of water. Boil it till the point it remains only one glass of milk. Strain it and have such milk in the morning, empty stomach. Kindly remember that u should not consume anything (not even water) for next one hour. This will also clear the blockage of nerves and will also remove every type of pain in the body, caused due to blockage or other deficiency in nerves of the body. This doesn’t address the primary issue of regulating carbohydrate intake and metabolism.

• You are doing fine Please do not owrry much Keep it up

• thanks, I am not worried but want to keep my FF below 90 so that i can avoid diabetes complications.

• The blood sugar varies.Even I am having diabetes since 6 yrs I am 73 years.Last month the reading was 96/120.This month it is 101/135 so nothing to worry.I am taking melformin 500 mg twice a day. In addition to this I am taking Karela+jamun juice+ aLOE VERA+aMLA JUICE with soaked methi seeds early morning inmmediately.Early morning I go for walk for half an hour. I mentally at peace.so slight variation in blood sugar one should not worry

• I am not giving any assurances I am only stating my case

• Thank you, vijendraji

In the initial 2 years I did not take allopathic medicine but I tried auyerveda, naturopathy and homeopathy etc. In this time every month I have to change my reading glass. Now at a stage came I cannot walk bare foot. I wear special crocs company chapels.

For past year’s negligence I am now tiring to take extra care. I totally avoided all high carb items including atta, rice and below the earth vegetables +medications.

I have seen and read the complications. I am not afraid of death at all. But I am afraid of the complications diabetes can create. So I am taking an extra precaution. Rest I leave to God almighty.

My humble request for you to somehow bring FBS under 90. Please see this link below for the research details;

What is a Normal Blood Sugar? Section in

bloodsugar101.com/

• Dear Atmaji

when I said I am mentally at peace I am not expecting death.Like you when I noticed I am having diabetes at 2006 I tried homeopathic medicine for one year as per the docotors suggestion I used to take RBS it always used to be at 300 so everybody in my house started abusing me so I switched to aloeapathic medicine.As far your eye trouble consult your physician about your eye problem show it to a eye specialist they will some drops or surgery.About foot problem your doctor is the best judge.

You may also like...