Hello Friends, My 11 year old daughter diagnosed with T1, May-2012, on Huminsulin 30/70

Hello Friends, My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in May'2012, and she is on Huminsulin 30/70 since then, she eats very moderate (limited quantity) typically 2 - chapathies, 4- Idlies as eg. we tried Chapathies cutting down Rice, but did not observe any change in the BS levels, her Fasting reading will be around 150+ (Even after having 34 units of insulin in night and dinner of 2 rotis) her Post lunch are very high generally around 250+ (Morning Insulin 32 units). HBA1C is over 8. While visiting doctors, we are really frustated, as they are saying...Fasting is some X so increase 2 units of insulin, and PPL is some XX increase 3 units of insulin, but, we are not getting any answers like why her sugar levels are this high even after 30+ units of Insulin and proper diet. Can some one please help with some enlightenment so that she can manage her T1D properly and also, any alternate medication if available, preferably for pediatrics. I am from Hyderabad.

Regards,

Vinod.

30 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes, I am absolutely fine, as we rarely come across any site, which discusses and educates about T1D

• Her physical activity is normal, she goes to school and actively takes part in the games at school and I take her for a Morning walk for over 30-40 mins, and she never complains of tiredness by Gods grace.

• Thanks a Ton Indi, This is much helpful information. Appreciate your response. one quick doubt, once attaining Puberty, is there any study done or research done if there can be any regularization in the BS levels? or if one needs less Insulin?

• Thanks Med, for your reply and details, Yes, infact that is what I am trying to find out from this forum, good information about managing T1D. Also, she is not Over Weight and never was, currently her weight is 48 (Under weight for a 12 yes) and Height is also normal compared to her peer group

Will surely start maintaining Log as per your suggestion, can you suggest a good counselor/ Educator who can help with proper guidance in Hyderabad.

• Hi Med free. Please do not misguide in saying about metformin for a Type-1 patient. Other points well taken

• Hi vinod

I share my experience with you

My daughter also diaognised with T1D in the year 2006 and still now managing and now she is 15 years old.

We also experiencing same problems as you highlighted.

It is very difficult to restrict diet

We are using human insulatard and human actrapid using BD short needle syringe.

Morning insulatard 20 and actrapid 10 and evening 6.00 pm Insulatard 15 and actrapid 15.

we are regularly monitoring BS levels in the morning and we are ensuring within limit(around 90)

Regular exercises definitely reduces insulin intake.

Once sugar levels increases beyond 400, need more actrapid insulin to bring back to normal.

In my experience taking fruits daily normal quantity is ok. But oily food and junk foods are very dangerous(sugar levels increase rapidly).

Please contact me,if you need any further assistance.

Thanks

• Thanks a lot Marajar, can you please help with more information. Please mail me on vinod.bachu@gmail.com

• Hi, Can you share your phone no. It is difficult to control a Type -1. But will guide you. Rgds...Paul

• you can mail to me. rajaramkottur@gmail.com

• it is 7702222439, alternately...pls reach me on vinod.bachu@gmail.com. Thanks a lot in advance.

• Hi Marajar,

See your mail

• Indiacratus, my heart goes out for the 11 year old and your suggestion of a club is wise. I have read that Jayendrachaudhary who is a B.Pharm student is also Type 1 and is a volunteer on the forum. He may be able to help towards this cause.

• Yes, I am, but a little disappointed due to unavailability of long wheat in my area. I started the regime but am unable to continue as the only shop which used to have them is no more selling because of lack of demand for the wheat.

• This is a good suggestion but the problem with me is I do not know many people in this area and then asking this sensitive question to an unknown person whether they are diabetic can back fire. Yes, the long wheat really helped me to keep my parameters within limits.

• Thank you, I shall definitely try this method of approach.

• Vinod babu

Ask your daughter to try the broken wheat. This has done lot of magic in controlling my sugar. Ask her to skip rice. She can have it once in a week. This broken wheat can be cooked just like rice and you can have it with dhal, sambar or curd. It will be equally tasty like rice. She is not going to lose anything by trying this. I am sure that this will bring down her sugar level. In night she can have any veg salads. Wish her all the best

seshadri

• Readings are not that much higher to worry.

I think some oral antidiabetic and one more shot of insulin should be included.

You can change your drugs like following:

18 unit 30:70 insulin in morning before breakfast

6 unit of regular insulin before lunch

1 tab of acarbose 50mg during lunch

16 u of 30:70 before dinner with 1 acarbose 50mg

Most importantly 200ml milk of low fat before bad

You can start above regime under diabetologist....and strict observation is must during initial

Start with low in every dose to prevent accidents,preferably

• Jayendra,

Initially Doc put her on Acarbose, after taking it for almost 2/3 months, she was advised to stop as she was complaining of Stomach Pain, Not sure if Acarbose was a reason, but after stopping she has never complained. Not sure, if there are are findings if Acarbose is leading to this pain. And now she is only on 32 - Morning and 34 - Night of Huminsulin 30/70.

• I know that acarbose is having side effects like stomach pain,diarrhoea,etc.,but generally it disappears after specific time usage.

But if you want strict control then it can't be achieved by only 30:70 insulin unless you modify diet schedule strictly according to release profile of insulin.

• Obviously ppbs around 250 and fbs around 150 are not that much higher to worry..and specifically in case of your suggestion of HbA1c below 5,please follow yourself.it may be very dangerous incase of type 1 patients..upto 7 is well controlled state.Everyone may not have facilities like Dr.Bernstein, specifically in India

• I also believe in low carb diet but I'm not agree with high fat....one should take every component in balanced manner.high fat leads to utilization of fat as energy source instead of glucose for routine energy requirements and hence leads to DKA,which may be fatal for the patient.

• What I'm telling is based on personal experiences....and if you are not type 1,I don't want to be bothered anymore

• I don't know how to form a club in this forum,but we can create group either on Facebook or whatsapp.

• You can not start a sub forum under a forum Diabetes India but you can start a new forum for Type 1 DM by clicking the link "Start a Community" at bottom of the healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

• Yes...I have applied there for another community namely 'young diabetics of India' for type 1 pts....waiting for their reply

• Hi Medfree This is a review by a Prof of Pharmacy. Its clearly mentioned off label. There are no muticentric blind folded studies conducted till date. When I make a comment I am pretty clear being in the diabetes field for 22 years and have been regularly updating on latest happenings in the field of diabetes. Till date no doctor uses tablet for Type-1 patients. Moreover its dangerous to suggest off label usage in public forums.

• Hi Vinod

I m also diabetic from last 2 years. Earlier I took allopathic medicines but it was not so effective. Then I started taking ayurvedic medicines and my HB1C got dropped from 9.5 to 7.00 in 2 months. I have changed my lifestyle and eating habits/contents and the results are considerable.

Kindly understand that all of us are having the sugar in our body. The question is only that in our body it goes beyond the reasonable limits and that is why it starts giving problem. Further sugar levels going below the prescribed levels are equally not good. Therefore, cure is to keep it in within the reasonable limits. Once it has come within reasonable limits, our job is to keep and maintain it in within reasonable limits and that we can do without the help of medicines and by following the following course of action-

1. Get up early in the morning, before the sun rises and go on terrace and do the exercise of INHALE & EXHALE of oxygen, just for 20 minutes.

2. Go for a normal work, morning and evening, 30 minutes, each time.

3. Take a glass of hot water (As hot as tea), 15 minutes after Lunch & Dinner and it will wash out the sugar so created by the food so consumed.

4. After 30 minutes of lunch, take a teaspoon of powder of Dry Awla (Goosberry) and Saunf (Aniseed) (both in equal quantity) with normal water. Both Awla/Amla and Aniseed are available either at the shops of dryfruits or where the spices are available.

5. If you want to take Rice, as part of food, take it after taking out the water from Rice or preferably take Brown Rice.

6. If you want to take Potato, as part of Vegetable, always take boiled potatos and take it in liquid form and not in dry form.

7. Take Chapati, prepared of wheat combining of -Wheat Flour, Black Gram and Barley-All in equal quantities. Black Gram will support the function of heart and Barley will clean up and strength the kidney functions. (Reduce the ratio if the chapatti becomes hard to eat).

8. Use of Refined Flour (Maida) should be restricted as far as possible, as it is highly contributory factor in increase of Diabeties. Therefore, the items made of Refined Flour such as normal bread, PAAO, Pizzabase, Samosa, Bhature etc should be avoided as far as possible. However, Brown Bread can be taken.

9. Take Fruit and Vegetable Salad, as integral part of food, without pouring Salt and Chat Masala or any other spice on it, at the time of Lunch & Dinner.

10. Take Sprouts and Milk Products as integral part of daily food. Milk Products includes Double Toned Milk, Curd, Buttermilk and Paneer.

11. Mix up 1/4th teaspoon of Haldi Powder(Termeric powder) in winters and reduce it to one pinch in summer season (Yellow in color) with a glass of hot milk, without sugar and have it 30 minutes before going to bed. It will purify the blood in the body and also eliminates every type of pains and weaknesses in the body and further strength the body.

12. Avoid taking vegetables like Pototaos, Sweet Potatos, Carrot etc. having the sweet contents and fruits like, sugarcane, oranges, Bannanna, grapes etc.

13. You can have vegetables like Cauliflower, Cabbage, Methi (Fenugreek Leaves), Palak, Raddish, Lady Finger, Tinda, etc.

14. You can have fruits like, Gowua, Apple, Pomigrantte, Watermelon, Pappaya etc.

15. Take the leafts of Raddish and have it in raw form as part of salad.

16. During Summer Season, always take Buttermilk-salted one, as part of food. It will improve digestive system and reduce the overburdening of Liver function.

17. Avoid taking normal tea & Coffee. Always take Green Tea.

18. Avoid taking Oily and more salty food. Reduce the consumption of oil, butter, Ghee and always consume easily digestable food.

19. Take one Karela ( Bitter Melon/Bitter Gourd/Bitter Squash) and four Tomatos, make a juice of them and have it twice a day.

20. Always go for medical tests of brain, heart, liver, kidney and eyes, once in a year. For Blood Sugar, always go for HB1C and Sugar PP-every three months, in order to observe the developments. Also go for checking the numbness of the feet and take soft brush for cleaning the teeth.

21. Always take the restricted food, as mentioned above, in reasonable quantity, at least once in a week, so that inner system of the body will remain conversant with the restricted items also.

22. Change in life style and eating habbits is equally important to medicine. If we depend only on medicines and will not change our life style and eating habbits, then after sometime, medicine may stop working.

23. Change in Life Style also includes taking Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner at fixed time, Getting up early in the morning, going to bed maximum by 10 PM at night, Have a sound sleep of at least 6-8 hours a day, do not go for sleep during the day time.

24. For improving the strength in the body, Five Almonds and Five Wallnuts should be consumed. However, Cashewnuts and Raisin (Kismish) should be avoided. Further all Five types of MAGAJ are equally beneficial.

25. For Sexual & Urinary disorders, soak one teaspoon of Methi Dana in one glass of normal water, for overnight. In the morning, take out Methi Dana and consume the water, empty stomach.

If u wish to contact the Doctor to whom I have followed. U can talk to me at 9811335534

• When the elders are affected we can live with it, but when the children are affected, it is not a happy situation. I would suggest to try homeopathy, as it may help to have a better control at least, hopefully. Doctors are the best judges when it comes to treatment and better to go according to their advice.

• four to five round of surya namaskar(a group of aasana) will solve your problem. please try it and monitor bs.

• Hi Vinod, Breaking her dinner into two small meals would definitely help. Have One chapati in the evening say at 6:30 Pm and one or little more than that at the time of dinner, then closely monitor her fbs level with this change. Repeat the same for lunch as well. You may have to decrease the insulin after a weak. Make a log of her sugar levels and what is being eaten by her. You will get the solution yourself after a week by watching the logs.

You may also like...