Should I consult a gp


For the last 6 months I have been feeling down and struggling to sleep on a more than usual basis. I really don't know how to describe it. When I try to put it in to words I'm not sure if it's depression I have or if I'm just being paranoid. I'm not sure if I should consult a gp or if they will feel I am wasting there time and also I'm very anxious so I'm afraid of sitting down and not being able to put how I feel into words.

I do have a history of mental illness in my Family. 

3 Replies

  • Hi and welcome,

    I would go to your GP. They can run through a list of questions which helps identify if your are suffering from depression as well as anxiety. You are not wasting their time. You deserve to feel better. Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand. I know often one overtakes the other with me.

    Good luck,

    Sarah x

  • Depression is a illness, and like any other illness, your doctor can help you to treat it. If you go on to the NHS website you can access their depression questionnaire (just type NHS depression test into Google). I'm not advocating using that as your basis for diagnosing yourself, but it's a great starting point for helping you to identify how you are feeling. If you can't picture yourself sitting in the doctor's office pouring your heart out, think about writing how you are feeling down on paper beforehand?

    As Sarah says, you will never be wasting their time. In the meantime, stick around on here and chat. You will find lots of people who understand how you're feeling x

  • Hi there and welcome. I think it would be helpful to see a GP and just tell him how

    Your being affected. Write a few points down so you won't forget stuff, but generally

    GP's will ask you lots of questions. You have nothing to lose and its a good first

    Step in getting help.


You may also like...