Postgrad run

Just so you know I haven't given up and stopped after all the graduation run fuss...

Went out in the sunshine, and tried a bit of fartlekking (one k or two?), ie random pace changes. I absolutely loved it! I started off at my usual very slow jog, until I'd warmed up, then just tried going faster for varying lengths of time (mostly short lengths - 15 to 30 seconds probably, though it felt a lot more!) A couple of times I tried going all out.

Really amazing feeling - I really can actually run! OMG. :D

I didn't go all that far, just a mile altogether, which took me 15 minutes (so still slow by most standards - 4mph - slightly faster walking pace!) but it pushed my heartrate up, and I felt I'd done a considerable amount of work.

I didn't have music/podcasts or anything, which I think i prefer really, just my watch, and then google earth to map it when I get home (that's probably my favourite bit!). Think I'll probably do a couple of these on weekdays, then a longer slower one at the weekend. Or maybe not - I'll see how it goes.

For me, I think it was best to do the programme slowly, as I had no problems with my previously wobbly ankles, knees or hips - I think they probably needed all those weeks of gradually building up strength. And now I can hopefully begin to go faster for slightly longer each time. But my goodness I loved the feeling of moving faster. :D

17 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It feels amazing, doesn't it??? If I have enough "oomp" left in me, I full-out run my last 30-60 seconds. Great job in getting out there so soon after the grad party. :-) Gayle

• Go Greenlegs! I love reading your post they give me such a boost. :-)

• Hey where's your green badge?

• Well, you see there's this rumour that I haven't actually finished, so admin won't give me a badge. :P

Spread by someone who wants to get their badge first...

• Ha ha, sure it will be there on Monday, don't they know who you are!!!!

;)

• Ah, but I keep moaning about the 'heelstriking' bit. Maybe I've been black-listed! :O

• Huge congrats for graduating Greenlegs - what a fantastic achievement! :)

• Thank you! :)

• Fantastic, greenlegs, how nice to know that you could push it a bit. Don't know what you mean by saying you can really actually run - we knew that :) you have graduated!!! (even if they won'g give you your badge :D )

Annie x

• :D

• Well done on graduating greenlegs. :) This sounds like a great postgrad run too. I must look up fartlekking(?) as it sounds fun and I could probably benefit from doing a few speed bursts. Good luck with the next run.

• Haha. Just read this: magazine.ordnancesurveyleis...

"Try just heading out on a usual run, but adding in short bursts of increased pace – say for 200–400 kilometres – before pulling back to your usual speed." :-O

• Just read the link - can't stop laughing!

"Tailoring the method for less experienced runners

If you’re not quite in the ranks of Usain Bolt or Paula Radcliffe just yet, never fear"... and then the 200-400 km bit! I've laughed so much there are tears in my eyes! :D

• So, how many kilometres are your 'short bursts of speed'?! :-/

• Erm, about 0.1km - or less!

• Well done greenlegs. I love reading your blogs too. :-) Keep up the running - and the blogging please.

• OK then! I don't need much of an excuse! Thanks. :)

You may also like...