How do I get to the elusive 5K?

So I've been doing C25K since August and have never felt the need to blog before now, The main reason for this, I think is that it’s all gone fairly smoothly. Not easy but not too difficult with no injuries (touch wood) and no more aches and pains than you would expect of a 56-year old woman who exercises sporadically and hasn’t actually run since junior school (and not very well then!). All in all pretty much according to plan – until now, that is! A week ago last Saturday I graduated – hurrah!! So, my first post-graduation goal was going to be our local park run. So – graduation week 1 I did Stepping Stones twice – again, not easy but I did it – although nowhere near 5K (about 3.75 to be precise). So I thought on Sunday I’d do the Stamina podcast and then a couple of runs this week and I’d be ready for the park run next Saturday . Well Stamina was a disaster. Hard work all the way through and gave up after about 30 minutes. I was gutted!!! Ruined my day! Anyone else have similar experiences? Where do I go now? Do I try Stamina again or do my own thing, run at my own pace for as long as it takes until I get to the elusive 5K. Should I try for the park run on Saturday but take it slowly? Or wait ‘til I’m a bit more confident I can actually do it? Sorry for all the questions but I do have 3 months’ worth to catch up on :o).

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You are doing brilliantly so dont knock it!

The follow on podcasts hadnt been released when I graduated so I just went out 3 times a week and tried to run a bit longer till I got to 5k (42 mins then). Then I did it a few more times. Then I got a bit bored so I downloaded a personalised programme from runners world (having entered a 10k charity event to train for over 8 wks!).

Dont worry how long it takes to do 5k on your own.

BUT do try parkrun so you have an idea and a benchmark against which to judge your progress, and if you are anything like me, I surprised myself by doing it in 38 mins even with a few short walk breaks, when it was taking me 42 mins on my own running all through!

• Hi lolb, I've been working on stepping stones and the speed podcast too but have yet to psych myself up for the stamina one. I'm a bit like you, managed c25k without any major dramas or injuries and although some runs are better than others, I haven't had to stop at any time. So, I'm wary of the stamina podcast in case I can't do it and so have been putting it off! However, I do agree with Deryn, the parkrun would give you a time to try to beat on future runs. Good luck whatever you decide! :)

• Definitely do a parkrun. I ran mine on my own for virtually the whole way - but I was so pleased that I managed to finish it. As long as you keep going you know that you'll definitely have done 5k and then you'll have a benchmark to run against after. Well done for getting through the programme so smoothly.

• Ive not done a parkrun so cant really comment on that, although they do sound like a friendly welcoming bunch :)

after graduating I aimed for 5k as I wasnt there either. it took me a few weeks to build up to 5k so that was my next goal. I did try my own music but threw in a couple of lauras runs aswell & did my warmup walk then put the podcast back to the beginning so that I could add that 5mins to the run. eventually I got there & the feeling is fantastic.

if you take a look at audiofuel.com they have music designed with a beat per minute & this is very helpful. sometimes just having something new to concentrate on makes the time go quicker :)

good luck. hope it wont be long before you get to post your 5k news X

You may also like...