Ahh, the secret is out!!

I was preparing myself for W9R2 today. I watched the last 25 minutes of the Olympic women's marathon and was so inspired!! However, after doing a little reading yesterday on increasing speed and watching and listening to commentators today discussing stride... I was all pumped up...

So I set out today with a new goal... increase my speed. I started out slightly faster in warm up and increased my speed throughout my run..

And what was more important is that I did it. What was the secret?? Well, maybe it is not a secret but rather a revelation (at least to me)... all those things I was hearing... increase stride... the commentators talking of floating effortlessly... the article I read about pushing off with the big toe to increase stride... they all worked!

Ok so I am still a tortoise.. but a tortoise who is floating on air ;) Now I have something to work on!!

One run to graduation :o

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Glad to see it's all coming together for you, runcanada!

You are doing sooooo good!

Have fun! Shiny green badge for YOU this week, eh?

• Absolutley... I am so anxious to say I completed it.. ;0 even wondering if I could manage it tomorrow evening lololol. :)

• Well done!!

I don't think I would ever make running look effortless (too busy looking red & sweaty!) oh well...

Good luck for your graduation run :)

• Oh now, that is what the commentators said.. I was trying to float but with lots of effort...hehe. But I do have techniques to perfect.. and my face couldn't be any redder.. .. thanks :)

• Pushing off with big toe... increase stride... will try to remember that for my next run. :) Any more tips?

• Legion... I wasn't focused on really moving my arms either until today to help with the propelling.

I really think because I am short, very short, don't think I even make the 5 foot mark anymore... age is lovely when you shrink.. that I take very short strides. Even when I walk with friends who have lovely long legs, when they walk at a very brisk pace I cannot keep up.. feel like I have to jog to their stride.. So today my focus was getting the air beneath my feet, really focusing on pushing myself into long strides but with a floating effort, if that makes sense. Interesting though, in the last 5 mintues when I was really tired it was hard to focus on the log strides and felt myslef reverting to my habit of short strides..

• Good luck on your graduation run. Can't wait for my 1st post graduation run tomorrow!

• Well done. I am starting week 9 tomorrow and also upped my pace for the last run of week 8. Good luck xxx

You may also like...