No heroics, just wanted to keep going!

This morning I ran for the first time for a week. I last ran last Thursday then I went to a conference and then I came down with a cold. I'm still not completely over the cold, but my nose is not running so much, so I thought it was time to let my feet take over!

The last twice I ran, I failed to complete the time I had set for myself due to tight calves and setting off too fast, so this morning I set out at a relaxed pace, determined to complete 30 minutes. After all, what's the point in graduating if that's the last 30 minute run you ever do?

Learning from previous mistakes, I had added some extra songs to my running playlist and I didn't set RunKeeper going until I had completed my warm-up walk (I know how far I can get in 5 minutes, I don't need to time it!). I have told RunKeeper that I want to get to 5K in 30 mins, i.e. 6 mins per km, so I knew I was going to get nagged about being behind my target pace. But I didn't care. The main thing was to keep going. I started noticing my cold a bit around 20 mins in, but I could still breathe through my nose and I wasn't about to let myself make any excuses.

I didn't quite get 10 times round the park in 30 mins and, according to RunKeeper, the 450m path round the park is less than 450m long... And I don't care. Because I did it. I kept running. Definitely doesn't qualify for hero status but I got out there and I did it. My first 30 minute run since I graduated. Very thoughtfully, the sun refrained from coming out properly until after I had finished. Think it's going to be another scorcher today.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Great blog and well done.

Motivation is so hard once you've graduated....I've found it comes and goes...

But we are runners so keep going ! :)

You may also like...