Went for a great run tonight. Conquered the big hill again along with a couple small hills in between. Feeling good and was very focused. Didn't listen to music or bring my watch. I did have the Map My Run app going to track my workout but I didn't pay much attention to it. Just kept running to the sounds of nature and the thoughts in my head. What was I thinking? Well, I'm glad you asked.
1) I'm running faster that that person on the couch.
2) Wow, I can't believe how fast I'm running.
3) I can't believe three months ago I could barely even run 60 seconds.
4) Pennywise can't catch me (and yes, I did hear him rustling around in the bushes a couple times).
5) Wow, that guy at my last race was right, it does get easier the more you do it.
6) The Rocky theme (this was on the last leg).
7) I will run to the orange cone and then I will stop and walk home.
8) Yay, it's over, I can walk now.
Yep, all those thoughts kept me going. The last one came to me when I could see the orange cone which I knew was a five minute walk to my house.
I love being a runner and I still can't believe that I can run almost three miles. It was close this time, real close. Now I rest until my next 5k on Wednesday night.
If you're reading this and you've just started out or if you're close to graduating or anywhere in between, don't give up. The program works. If you're a graduate and you're reading this, congratulations, give yourself an extra pat on the back. I do ever time I finish a run...mentally that is. I still can't bring myself to do it when I'm on the 5 minute cool down.