Doing a little extra prepares me for the next week's run

Let me add some background context to my running. I am extremely slow. I usually only go 2 miles during the 30 minute podcast. I am quite heavy,183 pounds at 5' 4" tall, and I have not run any sort of distance since I was in the military nearly 30 years ago. I am a project manager by profession so I am used to planning ahead. This is something that I found helps me to be prepared for the next week's run, and have been doing it since the second week.

I ran Week 4 Run 1 yesterday, and although I did not find it to be easy, I was totally up for the challenge. I credit my readiness to adding extra running to each session. Each day that I run I do the podcast twice, because I run on a trail that doesn't loop so I re-do the run on the way back.

In week 2 I just wouldn't stop at the end when Laura said I could, and go about another 30 seconds to a minute. But starting in week 3, it goes more like this. On my first run, at the end when Laura says I can stop I continue to run until the end of the first cool-down songs is completed. That's usually another couple of minutes added to the run, and leaves a few minutes for the cool-down.

On my return run, since I am already warmed up, I start to run as soon the warm up music starts after Laura has finished her introduction. I run until the end of the first warm-up song is finished. Again, this gives me a couple more minutes of running, and I still have a few minutes of walking before I start running and walking on the podcast's schedule. At the end of podcast, instead of ending my run when Laura's says I can, I keep running until I can go no further. So far, that's been about an additional three minutes. Then I take as much time as I want on the cool-down.

I must stress that it is very important that you have the best tools possible when running. I use a very good pair of running shoes, Saucony Kinvara 2. They are lightweight, provide a lot of cushion and support, and promote a more natural running step instead of the heel-strike step with traditional sneakers. Thus, my knees are not nearly as sore as when I wore my old shoes. Over here in the U.S. most stores have them on sale, because the Kinvara 3 has just come out. I always wear very comfortable shorts and a top that wicks away the sweat. I am in Atlanta, and it's nickname is Hotlanta. So, even at 7 a.m. it can be quite humid. Oh, don't get me talking about the mosquitoes!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Good on ya, sounds like you are doing everything in a slowly but surely manner. Hope you are enjoying it as well :-)

• well done I use the treadmill to run and like you at a slow pace but it's faster than walking.As they say it's doing it that counts fast or slow.I do wk4 r1 monday after a week of so were not that far of the same run.enjoy

• Makes sense to do a slow but sure approach, good luck to you

You may also like...