I actually ran a parkrun!: I walked a parkrun... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
82,936 members114,428 posts

I actually ran a parkrun!

I walked a parkrun last July and then volunteered the week after, and continued during C25K. Since then I’m a bit of a sucker for a request for volunteers, and my volunteer credits outnumber the weeks since I started as I also go to juniors on a Sunday. I was wondering if the stars would ever align, last time they did I forgot to set an alarm 😂

So this week there’s been no desperate requests for volunteers and I’ve been looking at that 3 mile recovery run on my plan with some anticipation, hoping that I could get to an event and not don the tailwalkers jacket for a change. Stood at the start line I was grinning, must have looked a right idiot!

Off we went and a wonderful smooth run followed, the only issue I have is I finished about 5 minutes inside what I’d consider recovery run 5k time, so I was a little cross with myself for getting a little carried away, but I’ll let myself off just this once!

Hope everyone is having a great day, and if you haven’t been to parkrun yet, there’s on next Saturday too!

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Well, since you had a lovely smooth run, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much! (Not that I ever find myself that I've gone too fast without noticing - the sudden inability to breathe is a dead giveaway 😂) I love parkruns, I did one today for the first time in weeks.

Yeah, I’ve forgiven myself... slow and steady next couple of runs!

You may have been faster than planned but I think that nearly always happens in PR, also doesn't sound like you actually pushed yourself too much otherwise you wouldn't have been grinning...

1 like

I didn’t break my PB, maybe I could have if I’d tried... I wasn’t using headphones and so I got no pace information... felt pretty comfortable, and I didn’t get dragged along by following the wrong runner 😂

1 like

One day they will all be following you...

I doubt it... I’m too old now to get near the front, but I’m happy in the pack. Think the biggest field is ever run in before was about 20, so a few hundred was fun!

1 like

Oh wow that's a change. You know, maybe your pace is just getting faster naturally... wouldn't that be great...

Yeah, I’ve noticed that the average pace on a run is creeping upwards... I have a target time for this year and maybe it will come soon, but then I will have to go long for my other goals, so I’m in no hurry!

1 like

;-) There is always a next goal so as you say best take your time!

1 like

You are a man of meritable control.......

......... parkrun is always a hunt for a pb for me...........when I am running, that is.

The first of many, no doubt.

I think it could be for me too, but I’m thinking of going most weeks, so I gotta watch that 85% thing... my plan is set to end on a parkrun, so I can go for it then!

2 likes

Well done UNM. Being a little speedy is not the worst sin 😀

Thanks... was good to be in the midst of it for a change

You may also like...