Couch to 5K

Advice needed please

A bit of advice please, I am generally doing well on the programme, I am in week 8 and have already done over 30 mins several times. After graduation I am determined to continue and head towards 10k, in other words I am addicted!!

I have been searching for a form of exercise I could do on rest days, I'm not a swimmer and yoga isn't really for me so I have bought an exercise bike.

So my question is, what sort of distance and speed should I be looking at to give me a good workout on non run days but not overdo it?.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I'd say you want to plan for 30 mins reasonable effort, with a bit of warm up/cool down either side, much like the running. I can generally cycle at least twice as fast as I can run but I would suggest you just give it a go and find your own level.

1 like

Depends what you are after... if it is a well rounded fitness programme (and NHS guidelines) then you're looking at some form of strength and flexibility work for starters. (Hence there's a partner podcast programme for that, and a forum)

I wasn't a swimmer and yoga wasn't for me. Things change...

I would also add that well-rounded fitness does involve the ability to be still - I know we joke about addiction but an addiction by definition goes beyond the healthy.

1 like

The distance and speed question is the same for the bike as it is for this training plan. It is up to the individual.

If it is a bike with variable resistance then you can set it up to give yourself a good work out over whatever time span you choose that fits in with the rest of your life. Thirty minutes on a hard setting will probably give you a better workout than one hour with less resistance.

Yes it has a variable setting, will start at 20 minutes today and see how I go.

When I'm not running I tend to use my Cross Trainer, as I do shift work this can fit in quite well between runs, I look today about 10 to 15 minutes a session and find this to be ample. I normally finish of with a few press-ups and sit-ups, I always start and finish with some stretches, seen to many people with nasty muscle injuries due to not warming up/stretching properly.

1 like

I ended up doing 20 mins at a decent pace, just under 10k.

1 like

You may also like...